Darvel FC Thread

You see...erm,...boys & girls, this can't be entirely correct.

Regardless of what the young guy has told his mum...he must have signed a legally binding contract if he is a semi-professional player.

They can't just cut his pay or "sell" him unless he agrees to be "sold" to another club. They can't just force him out the door like a piece of meat. Or dumpling in his case.

As much as we're all having a wee giggle about all the "doon the brae" shenanigans I'm pretty sure they would've checked his contract rather than leaving it to some random loonies on the interweb tae decide his future. Or, indeed, his mum.🙄

2 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

You see...erm,...boys & girls, this can't be entirely correct.

Regardless of what the young guy has told his mum...he must have signed a legally binding contract if he is a semi-professional player.

They can't just cut his pay or "sell" him unless he agrees to be "sold" to another club. They can't just force him out the door like a piece of meat. Or dumpling in his case.

As much as we're all having a wee giggle about all the "doon the brae" shenanigans I'm pretty sure they would've checked his contract rather than leaving it to some random loonies on the interweb tae decide his future. Or, indeed, his mum.🙄

Think the issue with wages is that player contracts say one thing with the remainder being made up with cash in hand (which I believe is the main part of their wage). They would therefore pay them what they have a contract for and not what they have a gentleman's agreement on. This is what is causing much of the unrest and why players are looking like they have downed tools over the past few weeks. 

With regards to Scott Ferguson he was in a similar position where he was getting money put down to what was on his contract and not what was agreed, that was the reason he decided to move when Darvel were trying to off load him. 

From the discussions I have had with a few of the Darvel players, there is growing unrest and total lack of trust with the club as what was agreed isn't what is happening. 

The sole reason players moved to Darvel was money, as a club Darvel have no real history and not view as a prestigious club. There is no surprise when money runs out then there is no longer the desire for players to play for the club anymore. 

A core fan base so small it couldn't sustain the spending and a fan base that is getting smaller each week. 

What a shambles this is. All the not about the money bull shit really was just that, utter nonsense. It won't be long until the clubs in lower league obscurity and never to be mixing it at the top table again due to complete mis management from the hierchy. 

1 hour ago, fieldsofdreams said:

Think the issue with wages is that player contracts say one thing with the remainder being made up with cash in hand (which I believe is the main part of their wage). They would therefore pay them what they have a contract for and not what they have a gentleman's agreement on. This is what is causing much of the unrest and why players are looking like they have downed tools over the past few weeks. 

With regards to Scott Ferguson he was in a similar position where he was getting money put down to what was on his contract and not what was agreed, that was the reason he decided to move when Darvel were trying to off load him. 

From the discussions I have had with a few of the Darvel players, there is growing unrest and total lack of trust with the club as what was agreed isn't what is happening. 

The sole reason players moved to Darvel was money, as a club Darvel have no real history and not view as a prestigious club. There is no surprise when money runs out then there is no longer the desire for players to play for the club anymore. 

A core fan base so small it couldn't sustain the spending and a fan base that is getting smaller each week. 

Tut tut so the club are fiddling the tax man? Sounds like Rangers all over again£ 😂

In all honesty though, very naive of the players to accept a wage that isn't written into their contracts. Was always going to end in tears for them. 

On 17/10/2023 at 08:10, fieldsofdreams said:

Players been told they have to take pay cuts. Scott Ferguson's mum posting on the Darvel FB page that he didn't want to move or ask to move it was Darvel that sold him. I don't think it will be long before you see the league position plummet and more players leaving. 

Scottish football needs strong Mammies.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Fabi said:

Tut tut so the club are fiddling the tax man? Sounds like Rangers all over again£ 😂

In all honesty though, very naive of the players to accept a wage that isn't written into their contracts. Was always going to end in tears for them. 

Deserve all they get IF it's true. Pure greed. I hope the current was too high and blew up their gold iPhones.

12 hours ago, fieldsofdreams said:

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Deserve all they get IF it's true. Pure greed. I hope the current was too high and blew up their gold iPhones.

I couldnt tell you the first thing about the ins and outs of Darvels finances but i have heard of this practice at a few clubs. 

On 17/10/2023 at 08:10, fieldsofdreams said:

Players been told they have to take pay cuts. Scott Ferguson's mum posting on the Darvel FB page that he didn't want to move or ask to move it was Darvel that sold him. I don't think it will be long before you see the league position plummet and more players leaving. 

I wouldn't so much be bothered about darvel selling Me on against my wishes but I would be more blazing if my maw hit out on the clubs  Facebook page about it 😆

On 01/10/2023 at 17:54, Bheaten Castard said:

He should know that some of these players would be getting nowhere near that sort of cash elsewhere. He has been great for Darvel and brought them into the 21 st century.There is no doubt without him they would be struggling in the bottom leagues but he isn't a bottomless pit. Sooner or later he will stop pumping ridiculous amount of money in. Everyone knows the club he loves and it ain't Darvel 

He’s not at Killie games regularly now.  If he loved Killie he wouldn’t have got involved at Darvel and put his money into Killie instead. Michael Johnston was gone so there was no reason not to back Killie. His involvement with Darvel was all about his ego and nothing else.  The main thing Gall loves is himself. Will be funny when it all crashes and burns after the way everyone at Darvel has gone on over the last few years and that includes everyone from Gall, Kennedy, the players and the fans. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

On 18/10/2023 at 08:14, fieldsofdreams said:

There have been rumours that Darvel were paying players a different amount to what was in their contract with cash in hand payments.

The cash in hand payments should be declared to HMRC by both the club and the players otherwise they are both breaking tax laws. 

You have to question why if this was all above board there would be a need for the payment due not to be detailed in a players contract. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

Feels like a must win for McInally on Saturday, although I am not sure Darvel can afford to get rid of him based on previous pay outs he has had. 

With all the goings on of the past couple of weeks, the emergency meetings with players to take a wage cut as well as the dressing room exchanges after the Cumnock game, you wonder how player moral is heading into the match v Troon. 

32 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Hi all, maybe not the best place for this but thought someone may know. An idea why Troon didn't seem to enter this season's Scottish Cup? Maybe I'm ignorant but can't find their name in any of the results pages 

Troon don't have an SFA license so they don't qualify to enter the Scottish Cup