Darvel FC Thread

4 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a replay of the equaliser never had best view so couldn't comment. Overall draw probably fair result. Don't know if I view it as point gained or 2 dropped. Still maintain New Tinto is a terrible park. 

Still in the running with league Clydebank still to play us and also play St Cadocs twice. I wouldn't rule us out either. Talbot either for that matter. 

On another point I really hope the so called "fans" that never venture out to games don't all turn up to the semi finals as "Big Darvel" fans. 

Home crowd very poor we never had many numbers either think more Clydebank fans there than both teams combined. Don't turn up to support us in big show case games if you can't turn up majority of weeks. Seen more fans at boys club level than what was there yesterday. 

So you don’t want the people from the village to go and watch the team? Are you for real?

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Not much chance of Glenafton winning much though, you could play in a league with 1 team and probably mess it up. 

Anyway, not a big follower of the junior cup but hopefully Talbot absolutely pump Darvel. 

But you felt the need to comment on it though? Please remind me how many majors have Clydebank won since playing at the junior level that you hate?

7 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

But you felt the need to comment on it though? Please remind me how many majors have Clydebank won since playing at the junior level that you hate?

Wankies fans will react to any comments by fans of any club, especially Ayrshire ones.

Kind of what I was getting at, and couldn't hazard a guess at how much they've wasted trying to win something. 

10 hours ago, Ceejayar said:

So you don’t want the people from the village to go and watch the team? Are you for real?

Support us through the season we don't get 5% of what turned out v Aberdeen at our games (150), if you can't be there all season or most games why turn up because we are getting to a final!

5 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Support us through the season we don't get 5% of what turned out v Aberdeen at our games (150), if you can't be there all season or most games why turn up because we are getting to a final!

That's like saying Talbot should have over 4000 at every match because that's what they get at every Scottish Cup final. C'mon man.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's like saying Talbot should have over 4000 at every match because that's what they get at every Scottish Cup final. C'mon man.

Talbot will probs have a steady 500-600 each game, finals are slightly different due to neutrals etc...and also you will also get people out for day out. Our numbers collapsed when we weren't winning there is a lack of true fans at Darvel, that includes committee members.

I don't know that many of the committee people at Talbot other than to look at and one or two that do the gates as it has been same faces for years, I would almost guarantee they will have been life long Talbot fans and have grown up around the local community. 

30 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Talbot will probs have a steady 500-600 each game, finals are slightly different due to neutrals etc...and also you will also get people out for day out. Our numbers collapsed when we weren't winning there is a lack of true fans at Darvel, that includes committee members.

I don't know that many of the committee people at Talbot other than to look at and one or two that do the gates as it has been same faces for years, I would almost guarantee they will have been life long Talbot fans and have grown up around the local community. 

I wasn't comparing the Talbot fanbase to the Darvel one. That would be CRAZY! I'm merely pointing out that there will be more people turn out for a big cup match than a run of the mill league game...as anyone knows.

1 hour ago, rhubarb1974 said:

That’s up to the club to encourage folk to go, it’s not up to fellow supporters to discourage, I don’t go to any away games and I’m probably only at half the home games, can I come to the talbot games?

15 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

You’ve got to go to all of the U20’s games as well! 😂

If I can find the time I do, I've been to 4 this season, if Friday night was a free night for me I would more often. Due to family commitments I can't go each week. I certainly wish them all the best and keep an eye on results however I am first to admit I am not a regular at their games. Being honest I don't really know how many are local boys, not many parents I recognised, the couple of times I have been. Only knew a couple of the boys that had been in and around the first team a couple of times. No real connection to the team via connection to players etc...

2 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Darvel are apparently in deep financial trouble.  You're suggesting that they should be turning away, or at least discouraging, paying customers.

I'd respectfully suggest that may not be their best strategy

35 minutes ago, Ceejayar said:

That’s up to the club to encourage folk to go, it’s not up to fellow supporters to discourage, I don’t go to any away games and I’m probably only at half the home games, can I come to the talbot games?

I personally think more needs to be done to bring fans in every week, it may be the case that we simply can't draw in fans. At the end of the day we are a small village, I know you can compare us in size of village to Auchinleck, however they have had years of success, although we are an older club, we have only found success in the past 5 years or so difficult to compare that way. 

The club it's self now is quite an appealing place it is grotty toilets or a run down food kiosk, so there is a pleasant environment to stand and watch a game. Possibly a sign of times younger kids more interested in video games and not getting the next generation of die hards coming through. That applies to all teams. 

5 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Darvel are apparently in deep financial trouble.  You're suggesting that they should be turning away, or at least discouraging, paying customers.

I'd respectfully suggest that may not be their best strategy

If fans came out in their numbers every game then that would help financially. My point is fans that turn up to big games like die hards and havent seen a game or hardly seen a game all season. 

1 hour ago, rhubarb1974 said:

If fans came out in their numbers every game then that would help financially. My point is fans that turn up to big games like die hards and havent seen a game or hardly seen a game all season. 

I get your point but once you get the fans down the club needs to do more to try and keep them, an example when we started the lottery we gave people who came to the games discount to get in but this season that stopped without an announcement when the money issues started , now I get it’s only £2 per game more but tell the fans about it , don’t just announce good news and another for me that sticks out is play games on the Friday night , no worth having floodlights if ur no going to use them and I reckon we could get 150 more playing on the Friday night , on the other side I don’t know the cost of the lights for a 2 hour spell so that needs to be taken into account 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

I get your point but once you get the fans down the club needs to do more to try and keep them, an example when we started the lottery we gave people who came to the games discount to get in but this season that stopped without an announcement when the money issues started , now I get it’s only £2 per game more but tell the fans about it , don’t just announce good news and another for me that sticks out is play games on the Friday night , no worth having floodlights if ur no going to use them and I reckon we could get 150 more playing on the Friday night , on the other side I don’t know the cost of the lights for a 2 hour spell so that needs to be taken into account 🤷‍♂️

Think the issue on Friday night games is getting teams to agree, some teams make a lot of money from matchday hospitality, that massively reduces when friday and mid week games are put on. The other issue if we are switching to a more community club approach, assuming that involves Galston YFC/Darvel u20s is that they also play on a Friday, does this stop the players on the brink of going into first team being able to play. 

Not sure the exact split however roughly 50/50ish between those with lights and those without comes when scheduleing games, same with any midweek game, I always think Beith cash in by not having floodlights, no lose of Saturday fixtures. 

You have teams on shared parks the likes of Benburb, St Cadocs, Clydebank, KRR, are there pitches free on a Friday night?

I think it would be a tough vote to push through

Wee Tony only won wan meaningful game against Talbot in his puff. 

He’ll no sleep easy, heard Dervels new committee in waiting planning changes. Tony no be there regardless. 

Talbot Burgh final. We always seem to end up playing these mercenaries. There’s no wan managed to get the long term better of The Bot. 
Without bankruptin there selves.