Darvel FC Thread

On 17/08/2024 at 07:31, Parkranger said:

All of that to say you are a junior team on a darvel thread 😊

because they know wee junior orientated men like you will bite on the Darvel thread  🤣

Read the post again, I've helped you out in bold.
Don't worry, your not the only one who bites and is pissed off big style, Lanemark hates biting as well, but he does so much  🤣🤣🤣

On 17/08/2024 at 07:05, BANKIEBILL said:

This is a fans forum and folk will always come on and big their club up and it will sometimes get under folks' skin. However I do think we've reached a point where people start to see things that aren't really there. Most Bankies fans of my acquaintance are pretty grounded sorts. They don't get too carried away in real life - although a few on here are prone to prodding to see what reaction they get. Most - if you look even superficially under the surface - are realistic. 

There is a difference in attitude between ( majority of ) our fans and many others of a lot of fans of clubs on here though and you touch on that a bit. The desire to play back in Scottish league football. That's my desire too. I was 6 when I went to my first Bankies game. I was 10 when we took Rangers ( then Champs of Scotland) to 2 replays in Quarter final of League Cup with Davie Cooper in his pomp. That same season we were a win away from winning the First Division and went up to Premier League - where we beat Hibs ( Hearts were in league below ), Motherwell ( twice ), Partick, Dundee Utd and Celtic. I was 25 when we were at Hampden in Scottish Cup semi final. I was 30 when our owners sold Kilbowie and 31 when they sold club to a bunch of cnuts who wanted to take club to Dublin. I was 36 when - despite 5 years of fighting to buy the club - the cnuts got their way and sold membership to Airdrie - who actually HAD gone bust. Last 22 years I've been one of a group of folk who've worked very very hard to resurrect something decent from the ashes. We started with nothing and with no major financial backer ( aside from the council and one councillor in particular ) we have a place to call home. Its not perfect but something you can build from. As a club we've spent 10s of £000's on  ground we don't own to improve things. We attained a licence and lobbied to be part of an imperfect pyramid. We have built a structure around which we can hopefully continue to develop but that structure may also have to develop. We haven't won much in way of trophies these last 20 years - that's true. However we have not one red cent of debt and mainly won the trust and respect of those that matter. I think even rival clubs may have a grudging respect for those involved at the club. There's unfinished business. That's what gets me out to visit sponsors on a Tuesday morning or updates to the Sponsor A Goal spreadsheet on a Saturday night when saner folk are getting pished. All of my colleagues give up huge amounts of time and effort to the same end. 

Now this isn't any different to folk at Talbot or Pollok ( both of whom I have the utmost respect for ) or Burgh or Muirkirk or Lugar, Lanark or Ardeer. You don't join the Committee or Board of a non-league club for glamour, fame or even ( heaven forfend ) any thanks. I think you need to be a bit daft tbh. To be there for any length of time though you need to be resilient, grounded and actually a bit selfless. Hats off to all the folk who run our clubs. All of them also have ambition for their clubs. That might be survival ( that is always at the back of your mind), or a tilt at the league or avoiding relegation or building for next season. Those are all good goals. Our long term goal has always been to return to the Scottish Leagues. Other clubs have their own journeys. I'd never decry those clubs for their hopes and I'd hope that they can allow us ours - whilst doing their best to royally fcuk them up 😄

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 16/08/2024 at 22:19, superpollok said:

Definitely don’t expect any club to post their finances on a forum. I don’t have a problem with clubs spending what they bring in, as that is testament to the people at club if they can convince people to hand over money. My main point was just you must have generated significant sponsorships. 

Actually, I do have a problem with some clubs spending money, that’s ones who claim to be charities, take in kids membership fees and then pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds in wages and get tax breaks while doing so…. But that as far as I can see is not Clydebank. 

No club classed as a charity is getting away with doing that. Every penny spent has to be accounted for

With Frank Hill out and the recently departed secretary and wife returning how does this leave Darvel?

If the figure of £500k in debt to JG is correct and the main sponsor is purely in to write off the debt owed to them for the next few year then income is going to be very limited due to lack of gate money.

Realistically, how much longer can Darvel continue to operate?

MK although allowed to has left a devastating legacy at Darvel, all sustainable, we were all told. JG overseen inflated wages, transfer fees etc...Frank Hill caused nothing but fall outs between players, committees, oppositions, governing bodies etc....struggling to see what good if any he can claim to have done for the club. 

You have to ask yourselves, giving the money spent, was a one off win against Aberdeen worth the demise of the club? 

There's little sympathy for Darvel. Anybody that follows this level of football knows that the eventual outcome was inevitable.

The mountain of debt accumulated was unsustainable given the size and potential of the club.

I really hope Darvel survives, but plenty of folk who jumped on board and enjoyed the ride should be looking long and hard in the mirror.

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

There's little sympathy for Darvel. Anybody that follows this level of football knows that the eventual outcome was inevitable.

The mountain of debt accumulated was unsustainable given the size and potential of the club.

I really hope Darvel survives, but plenty of folk who jumped on board and enjoyed the ride should be looking long and hard in the mirror.

I think a lot of people within Darvel owe a apology in a big way to Darvel legend cause he told everyone this would happen but was told he was lying and didn't know anything yes he was an pain sometimes but he knew this day would come 

1 minute ago, allyg1977 said:

I think a lot of people within Darvel owe a apology in a big way to Darvel legend cause he told everyone this would happen but was told he was lying and didn't know anything yes he was an pain sometimes but he knew this day would come 

Absolute nonsense he was on here every week when MK was the manager telling everyone it was sustainable.

18 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Absolute nonsense he was on here every week when MK was the manager telling everyone it was sustainable.

When we all left it was sustainable , I can’t be at fault what happened after that , and neither can mick , as a manager he can ask for funds for players , if the answer is no he can’t sign them 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

When we all left it was sustainable , I can’t be at fault what happened after that , and neither can mick , as a manager he can ask for funds for players , if the answer is no he can’t sign them 🤷‍♂️

You’ll know more about what happened inside the club than I will of course but it felt, from the outside looking in, as if you felt it was sustainable up until whatever time you had the falling out with the owner (or whatever happened) and then suddenly you felt it was all unsustainable almost overnight.

Of course you might have left because you didn’t agree with the unsustainable way the club was being ran but it did seem to be a very sudden change of opinion from you on here.

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

You’ll know more about what happened inside the club than I will of course but it felt, from the outside looking in, as if you felt it was sustainable up until whatever time you had the falling out with the owner (or whatever happened) and then suddenly you felt it was all unsustainable almost overnight.

Of course you might have left because you didn’t agree with the unsustainable way the club was being ran but it did seem to be a very sudden change of opinion from you on here.

No overnight but the signings that were being made you didn’t have to be a football expert to know there was no chance it could be sustainable on crowds we get and you can’t blame the manager , he’s only there to get the best players he can get in for the club , at times NO needed to be said but John backed mick to the hilt , only he can say if it was worth it 

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

The so called legend was the most sneering gloater of the lot and now hes trying to act like the hero of the piece who saw it all coming .

1 hour ago, Darvel legend said:

No overnight but the signings that were being made you didn’t have to be a football expert to know there was no chance it could be sustainable on crowds we get and you can’t blame the manager , he’s only there to get the best players he can get in for the club , at times NO needed to be said but John backed mick to the hilt , only he can say if it was worth it 

I wouldn’t blame the manager either. If Derek McInnes keeps getting offered money to sign players by Billy Bowie I would just expect him to keep spending until he was told otherwise.

1 hour ago, Thejackdaw said:

The so called legend was the most sneering gloater of the lot and now hes trying to act like the hero of the piece who saw it all coming .

He was vile towards fellow clubs and supporters openly in public trying to humiliate other clubs and supporters who have been running themselves in the proper manner for decades at a level that suits them. 

This horror show of an individual should never be forgotten or forgiven.  He should be hunted from every non league ground imho. 

12 minutes ago, Parkranger said:

He was vile towards fellow clubs and supporters openly in public trying to humiliate other clubs and supporters who have been running themselves in the proper manner for decades at a level that suits them. 

This horror show of an individual should never be forgotten or forgiven.  He should be hunted from every non league ground imho. 

He certainly was and he was the most odious person  ever of a darvel persuasion back in the day, sneered at all and sundry , antagonised everyone on here and disrespected most clubs in his mission to put darvel on the map , now and for the last year or so he's trying to curry favour with everyone and be the nice guy .

No not for me or anyone with any sort of memory or realisation at what an ignorant and arrogant man that he was to all clubs on here.

22 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

No club classed as a charity is getting away with doing that. Every penny spent has to be accounted for

Have you looked at their accounts? 
I never said the money is not accounted for. It absolutely is. And for clarity nothing illegal is going on. 
It’s the loop hole that allows charity organisations to be ‘professional’ football clubs and get the benefit of that. 

Latest accounts which are public record as a charity

£174k on first team player wages declared in their charity accounts vs 27k brought in as first team funds. 

9 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Whereabouts, as I can't see anything on OSCR or the Darvel CIC on Companies House?

Sorry by latest, I meant the last one they had to publish. Which was year end 31/8/23. (Published in May 24)

Assume their next accounts will be due in a matter of weeks but possibly not public record for a while yet. You would expect it may show even further growth in player bill 

https://www.oscr.org.uk/charityDocuments/scyc-31aug23-charity-accounts-final-pdf-signed-redacted-71dc20c2-6f1e-ef11-840a-0022481b2f94.pdf