Darvel FC Thread

1 hour ago, andy25 said:

Darvel don't have many fans.

I know that, they never had much of a support, even 30 years ago that I can remember
At the end of the day they have fans, even a small trickle and everyone to a person will be excited for the match
Most of the people who will go are going, are going out of interest as I'm sure Darvel get a few visitors going to their games out of interest so i haven't a clue what percentage of fans would be real Darvel fan but expect it to be small.
I've not heard, Is the game a sell out and what allocation do Aberdeen Fans get?

On 31/12/2022 at 19:56, Bheaten Castard said:

Great result last night for Darvel but you could have fitted the support into a phone box.There is no way they will sell out the Scottish cup tie.£22 a ticket on a Monday and on TV.Doubt if Aberdeen will bring 3k plus.

£22 is criminal for what is essentially a 6th tier side. 

Hope it backfires on the Pieman and there are loads of tickets not sold.  

Pure greed

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Pure greed

As it's a Scottish Cup tie and the gate is split between the teams, the prices are set by the SFA, not Darvel.  Both teams can agree to cut prices if they wish.  As Darvel have opted to play at their own park instead of move it to coin in, good luck to them, and I hope it's a sell out.

12 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

As it's a Scottish Cup tie and the gate is split between the teams, the prices are set by the SFA, not Darvel.  Both teams can agree to cut prices if they wish.  As Darvel have opted to play at their own park instead of move it to coin in, good luck to them, and I hope it's a sell out.

This is not true. SFA set minimum prices for each round which is fairly modest. The price for this round is a lot less than £22. Both clubs have decided to fleece their fans

6 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Pure greed

Criminal, lol, I think your idea of something that is criminal and mines are a bit different. The differences if this was a crime then, DONT GO, as you can sit at home and watch it for free live on TV as it happens.  

You are correct 100% that its a six tier side but it aint a league match, its a Scottish cup fourth round tie against the fourth team strongest in the Premier league as of Monday 3rd jan and at home and I do believe Darvel fancy their chances.  £22 In todays current situation with inflation and type of game etc...you could argue for its too high but also argue it's the right price.  If you were going to ask for a dream draw outside the old firm then Aberdeen or Hearts would be next and on current form, Aberdeen not doing to well so I'm sure many Darvel fans will be excited. This type of game for them may never happen again.

If only 10 people turn up paying £22 then Darvel know they were wrong, if its a sell out at £22 then Darvel did the right thing with the pricing for this particular match.
This is a once in a lifetime draw for the team, could be more in the future but you never know if or when the money leaves but right now they are a WOSFL premier team against a Premier team and I will be rooting for them against Aberdeen, the same as I would root for , Auchinleck, Pollok, Irvine Meadow, Cunmock etc... against any SPFL side.

I'm looking forward to the game and I will be watching it on TV, yes I do expect Aberdeen to win but we all enjoy football, as ever no hopers against a top team still have  a chance.

P.s. also, this game has been one of four games picked out of 18 ties and the BBC see this game as a boxseller, thinking they will have an audience watching it on TV because they believe lots of people want to watch it, so pricing wise, yeah £22 I think is acceptable.

I'm also rooting for Linlithgow, Drumchapel and Uni of Stirling as well  in their Scottish Fourth round ties

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Is it no £20 odd to watch Ayr United in the league? Price will put some off but given the limited capacity might make it less cut throat getting a ticket. Imo it’s likely a once in a lifetime event for the town unless someone like the artic monkeys plays the local hall. 

26 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Criminal, lol, I think your idea of something that is criminal and mines are a bit different. The differences if this was a crime then, DONT GO, as you can sit at home and watch it for free live on TV as it happens.  

You are correct 100% that its a six tier side but it aint a league match, its a Scottish cup fourth round tie against the fourth team strongest in the Premier league as of Monday 3rd jan and at home and I do believe Darvel fancy their chances.  £22 In todays current situation with inflation and type of game etc...you could argue for its too high but also argue it's the right price.  If you were going to ask for a dream draw outside the old firm then Aberdeen or Hearts would be next and on current form, Aberdeen not doing to well so I'm sure many Darvel fans will be excited. This type of game for them may never happen again.

If only 10 people turn up paying £22 then Darvel know they were wrong, if its a sell out at £22 then Darvel did the right thing with the pricing for this particular match.
This is a once in a lifetime draw for the team, could be more in the future but you never know if or when the money leaves but right now they are a WOSFL premier team against a Premier team and I will be rooting for them against Aberdeen, the same as I would root for , Auchinleck, Pollok, Irvine Meadow, Cunmock against any SPFL side.

I'm looking forward to the game and I will be watching it on TV, yes I do expect Aberdeen to win but we all enjoy football, as ever no hopers against a top team still have  a chance.

P.s. also, this game has been one of four games picked out of 18 ties and the BBC see this game as a boxseller, thinking they will have an audience watching it on TV because they believe lots of people want to watch it, so pricing wise, yeah £22 I think is acceptable.

The TV thing has nothing to do with setting the price at £22 so I don't know why you are going down that route. BBC are left to pick up games after Viaplay have decided the games they want (inevitably the OF) so the BBC pick the side with the 3rd biggest support in the country to maximise their coverage. It will have nothing to do with Darvel.

I have just paid £25 to go and watch the 3rd side in the English Championship. You cannot tell me there is £3 of a difference between these games!! This should have been priced accordingly not based on who they are playing. The facilities (which are improved from many years ago) are not worth £22 to stand in on a cold Monday night. IMO the board will have sounded out Rugby Park and worked out roughly what the crowd would have been and will have reckoned this is the best way to make money but IMO it is still disrespectful to fans and if my club did it my reaction would be even harsher .

21 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I know that, they never had much of a support, even 30 years ago that I can remember
At the end of the day they have fans, even a small trickle and everyone to a person will be excited for the match
Most of the people who will go are going, are going out of interest as I'm sure Darvel get a few visitors going to their games out of interest so i haven't a clue what percentage of fans would be real Darvel fan but expect it to be small.
I've not heard, Is the game a sell out and what allocation do Aberdeen Fans get?

No tickets on sale as yet, I think they are trying to get the capacity up by doing more ground improvements, I’ve heard up to 4000 which to me seems a bit of overkill.

10 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

The TV thing has nothing to do with setting the price at £22 so I don't know why you are going down that route. BBC are left to pick up games after Viaplay have decided the games they want (inevitably the OF) so the BBC pick the side with the 3rd biggest support in the country to maximise their coverage. It will have nothing to do with Darvel.

I have just paid £25 to go and watch the 3rd side in the English Championship. You cannot tell me there is £3 of a difference between these games!! This should have been priced accordingly not based on who they are playing. The facilities (which are improved from many years ago) are not worth £22 to stand in on a cold Monday night. IMO the board will have sounded out Rugby Park and worked out roughly what the crowd would have been and will have reckoned this is the best way to make money but IMO it is still disrespectful to fans and if my club did it my reaction would be even harsher .

lol, The English championship has nothing to so with the Scottish cup so haven't a scubby why its being compared.  I know exactly how the TV deal works, Its four games listed, premier has two and BBC has two.
The reason why its stated that the BBC believe the biggest viewing of a game will be the Darvel v Aberdeen and the other 3 but that's their choice.  Are Darvel shafting their small group of fans, I dont know, is there deals for the regulars or if they have season ticket holder, I don't know. As i said if its over priced, then its over priced and just DONT GO

11 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Is that why I didn't see you on Sunday?  

Agree with you 100%.  I'm paying just £6 more for a cup semi final at Hampden next week, in what will be another 1 sided tie and probably a scudding for us. 

I didn't even pay £22 for any Championship game last season and these teams were of a far higher standard than Darvel. 

6 minutes ago, Ceejayar said:

No tickets on sale as yet, I think they are trying to get the capacity up by doing more ground improvements, I’ve heard up to 4000 which to me seems a bit of overkill.

Oh sorry i didn't know that, thanks Ceejayar,  is there a certain date to get this done by before they are told no ?

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

52 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

This is a once in a lifetime draw for the team, could be more in the future but you never know if or when the money leaves but right now they are a WOSFL premier team against a Premier team and I will be rooting for them against Aberdeen, the same as I would root for , Auchinleck, Pollok, Irvine Meadow, Cunmock etc... against any SPFL side.

I'm also rooting for Linlithgow, Drumchapel and Uni of Stirling as well  in their Scottish Fourth round ties

I never had any intention of going as I don't support either team and certainly wouldn't pay £22 to see a team i don't support.   £15, which I think would be sufficient, is what I would have priced it at. 

18 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I never had any intention of going as I don't support either team and certainly wouldn't pay £22 to see a team i don't support.   £15, which I think would be sufficient, is what I would have priced it at. 

Good and I commend you for your view.
I wouldn't price it at £22 either, id price it less but I wont be going either. I don't support any of those teams.  I am however intrigued by the match and will be watching the game on Tv.

I also don't manage the team, I don't run the club and I am not a supporter of either team and I have no say in the pricing whatsoever, the same as you, I just put my view on it as you have done, and I've looked at  the magnitude of the game, what it implies and the potential of the game, so I understand 100% why its priced at £22

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

lol, The English championship has nothing to so with the Scottish cup so haven't a scubby why its being compared.  I know exactly how the TV deal works, Its four games listed, premier has two and BBC has two.
The reason why its stated that the BBC believe the biggest viewing of a game will be the Darvel v Aberdeen and the other 3 but that's their choice.  Are Darvel shafting their small group of fans, I dont know, is there deals for the regulars or if they have season ticket holder, I don't know. As i said if its over priced, then its over priced and just DONT GO

The reason is I was comparing the price is exactly that reason. 2 games in different competitions, different stadiums but very similar pricing, what would you rather spent the money on as a neutral if you were choosing between the 2?

I think it is the wrong way to look at it by saying "if you can't afford it don't go" We should be encouraging people to got to games at this level and it doesn't matter if they only have a small group of fans or not they have increased their entry fee by over 300% (if my maths are correct which they probably aren't) at a time where inflation is sitting between 10%-11% meaning all of our costs are increased Darvel could have lead by example by capping at the minimum set by the SFA.

I am pretty sure you can't make deals with your season ticket holders to give them discounted tickets.

They can do what they want and I would love to see them beat Aberdeen but I would have preferred them to have shown some decency given their facilities etc and look to make it the minimum price rather that seeing the ££ signs.