Darvel FC Thread

£22 is ridiculous for Darvel v Aberdeen. I think Talbot V Hearts was £15 and Talbot v Ayr was about the same or less.. Talbot sold the majority of the tickets to home fans for both games. Darvel don’t have many fans and I can’t see casual fans paying £22 to watch a game that is on TV. 

When Killie play Aberdeen a lot of Central Belt or East Coast fans get the train down but that isn’t going to be an option so the ones that go are going to have to get supporters buses and cars. Darvel isn’t an easy place to park so this could be an issue.

Moving the game to Rugby Park wouldn’t get more Darvel fans to attend as they have a very small and limited support base. It would have allowed more Aberdeen fans to attend but there would be costs to pay to Killie. 

£22 is pure greed. I hope it backfires. Can’t see as many Aberdeen fans at Darvel for a cup tie as were at Kilmarnock last week. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

6 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Criminal, lol, I think your idea of something that is criminal and mines are a bit different. The differences if this was a crime then, DONT GO, as you can sit at home and watch it for free live on TV as it happens.  

You are correct 100% that its a six tier side but it aint a league match, its a Scottish cup fourth round tie against the fourth team strongest in the Premier league as of Monday 3rd jan and at home and I do believe Darvel fancy their chances.  £22 In todays current situation with inflation and type of game etc...you could argue for its too high but also argue it's the right price.  If you were going to ask for a dream draw outside the old firm then Aberdeen or Hearts would be next and on current form, Aberdeen not doing to well so I'm sure many Darvel fans will be excited. This type of game for them may never happen again.

If only 10 people turn up paying £22 then Darvel know they were wrong, if its a sell out at £22 then Darvel did the right thing with the pricing for this particular match.
This is a once in a lifetime draw for the team, could be more in the future but you never know if or when the money leaves but right now they are a WOSFL premier team against a Premier team and I will be rooting for them against Aberdeen, the same as I would root for , Auchinleck, Pollok, Irvine Meadow, Cunmock etc... against any SPFL side.

I'm looking forward to the game and I will be watching it on TV, yes I do expect Aberdeen to win but we all enjoy football, as ever no hopers against a top team still have  a chance.

P.s. also, this game has been one of four games picked out of 18 ties and the BBC see this game as a boxseller, thinking they will have an audience watching it on TV because they believe lots of people want to watch it, so pricing wise, yeah £22 I think is acceptable.

I'm also rooting for Linlithgow, Drumchapel and Uni of Stirling as well  in their Scottish Fourth round ties

I assume you had a couple of Sherberts to many before writing your post. How anyone who is a supporter of teams in theWest / East of Scotland, would support such an entry fee, is obviously a mercenary with no regards to grassroots football.

Darvel will be paid handsomely for reaching this stage of the Scottish Cup. They also will receive a large renumeration for the cameras being at the ground. Surely that is (extra) enough for any club without then fleecing their own fans in what will be one if not the best day’s in the clubs history. Perhaps an entry fee of £10 would be acceptable, though I would hope if it was my club, that the normal price for a league match was levied on the day. 

Now the club is also looking for £200 + VAT for companies to advertise in the match day programme. I always want teams at our level to do well in the Scottish Cup. The atmosphere/result, when Pollok beat Annan was a joy for the likes of me. Great crowd at affordable pricing. Somehow, don’t think the same will be there for the Darvel tie.

3 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

The reason is I was comparing the price is exactly that reason. 2 games in different competitions, different stadiums but very similar pricing, what would you rather spent the money on as a neutral if you were choosing between the 2?

I think it is the wrong way to look at it by saying "if you can't afford it don't go" We should be encouraging people to got to games at this level and it doesn't matter if they only have a small group of fans or not they have increased their entry fee by over 300% (if my maths are correct which they probably aren't) at a time where inflation is sitting between 10%-11% meaning all of our costs are increased Darvel could have lead by example by capping at the minimum set by the SFA.

I am pretty sure you can't make deals with your season ticket holders to give them discounted tickets.

They can do what they want and I would love to see them beat Aberdeen but I would have preferred them to have shown some decency given their facilities etc and look to make it the minimum price rather that seeing the ££ signs.

I get what you are saying but your just cannot compare the prices.  This is a one off game, totally different circumstances, totally different environment/situation.  If as stated there are season ticket Darvel supporters and they get discounts then brilliant.  ffs I was pissed off when all price were put up at most ground but Pollok went to £9 which for league matches I thought was crap.  As I said this is a one off game that many, many people will be interested in and the price was put up accordingly, I agree with you, I think it should be cheaper.   

I am pretty sure you can't make deals with your season ticket holders to give them discounted tickets.                Of course any team can, they can give discounts to their season ticket holders and cover the excess loss themselves, (But how many Darvel fans are the real Darvel fans, I haven't got a clue, 100, 200 ?).   

The thing about encouraging people to come to games, common be realistic, do you think any clubs in the SPFL 2 think of encouraging spectators to games when they stop relegation, the same with the Lowland league clubs regarding promotion relegation.  Most clubs look after themselves.

As i said before, you don't run Darvel, I don't run them nor do I supporter them so you don't know the running's of the club, what they go through, everything is rumored by speculation and lots of jealousy. I aint justifying the pricing as I said I think it should be cheaper but this is a one off game and the club know its live on TV but fans will still go to the match but the majority of spectators wont be Darvel fans or might not be Aberdeen fans as the majority might be naturals

2 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I assume you had a couple of Sherberts to many before writing your post. How anyone who is a supporter of teams in theWest / East of Scotland, would support such an entry fee, is obviously a mercenary with no regards to grassroots football.

Darvel will be paid handsomely for reaching this stage of the Scottish Cup. They also will receive a large renumeration for the cameras being at the ground. Surely that is (extra) enough for any club without then fleecing their own fans in what will be one if not the best day’s in the clubs history. Perhaps an entry fee of £10 would be acceptable, though I would hope if it was my club, that the normal price for a league match was levied on the day. 

Now the club is also looking for £200 + VAT for companies to advertise in the match day programme. I always want teams at our level to do well in the Scottish Cup. The atmosphere/result, when Pollok beat Annan was a joy for the likes of me. Great crowd at affordable pricing. Somehow, don’t think the same will be there for the Darvel tie.

That's a bit condescending of a person whom you haven't  a clue about.
Having played at this level, coached and progressed players to this level and beyond from grassroots, I know exactly what is required.  I also been to watch East of Scotland games this season and been to West of Scotland matches so I am in a good situation to put my comments in regarding this level.  Every game I go to, a majority they offer me to go in free but I pay my money EVERY time, so that it goes towards helping the club.

You've also read what you want to read.  Where does it say I support the entry fee?  I did not agree with the price, I think it should be cheaper but understand with the situation why they have put the pricing up.  Are Darvel fleecing their fans ?, you haven't a clue, have they struck a deal with their true fans to get discounts ?, I don't know, neither do you as we don't run this club or anything to do with it. So are they just fleecing neutrals and Aberdeen fans?.  and guess what, if true, this isnt the first time fans of away clubs have been fleeced?.
Also, what is the true estimate size of real Darvel supporters/fans, all I ever hear on this Darvel thread from others clubs fans that Darvel usually only have between 100 to 50 supporters.  ffs I think only four who ever post on this Darvel thread are Darvel supporters or am I wrong?

Darvel will be paid £19,600 if they get put out of the fourth round, also a fee of £24,000 for the Tv fee and then then 5% gate money goes to the SFA and then 20% of the 95% left will go to Darvel the home club and then rest shared equally between Darvel and Aberdeen.

You don't know what your club would do if in the same situation and I would agree with you that we hope they would have the pricing at an easily affordable level for everyone. 

Regarding sponsoring the club for the match, the club can charge what they want but its up to the clubs if they want to pay the money.

But if the club wanted to make more money, I'm sure all the had to do was move the game to a bigger ground but they decided to keep the match at Darvel home

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
Spelling, as usual

7 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

That's a bit condescending of a person whom you haven't  a clue about.
Having played at this level, coached and progressed players to this level and beyond from grassroots, I know exactly what is required.  I also been to watch East of Scotland games this season and been to West of Scotland matches so I am in a good situation to put my comments in regarding this level.  Every game I go to, a majority they offer me to go in free but I pay my money EVERY time, so that it goes towards helping the club.

You've also read what you want to read.  Where does it say I support the entry fee?  I did not agree with the price, I think it should be cheaper but understand with the situation why they have put the pricing up.  Are Darvel fleecing their fans ?, you haven't a clue, have they struck a deal with their true fans to get discounts ?, I don't know, neither do you as we don't run this club or anything to do with it. So are they just fleecing neutrals and Aberdeen fans?.  and guess what, if true, this isnt the first time fans of away clubs have been fleeced?.
Also, what is the true estimate size of real Darvel supporters/fans, all I ever hear on this Darvel thread from others clubs fans that Darvel usually only have between 100 to 50 supporters.  ffs I think only four who ever post on this Darvel thread are Darvel supporters or am I wrong?

Darvel will be paid £19,600 if they get put out of the fourth round, also a fee of £24,000 for the Tv fee and then then 5% gate money goes to the SFA and then 20% of the 95% left will go to Darvel the home club and then rest shared equally between Darvel and Aberdeen.

You don't know what your club would do if in the same situation and I would agree with you that we hope they would have the pricing at an easily affordable level for everyone. 

Regarding sponsoring the club for the match, the club can charge what they want but its up to the clubs if they want to pay the money.

But if the club wanted to make more money, I'm sure all the had to do was move the game to a bigger ground but they decided to keep the match at Darvel home

How am I being condescending? How much do Darvel charge normally. Bet it is less than £10 per match, yet here they are charging £22 for this Scottish Cup tie. That is outrageous. You say in your response to another guy that the majority of fans at match may be neutral. So I assume, my thoughts, that there won’t be a big crowd? 

We will never know but it would be interesting to find out, locally, as to what the crowd would have been had they charged £8-£10. You, I assume, will be local to the area, but I bet very few will be enamoured by the apparent greed shown by the club. 

You only need to look at Bonnyrigg, for a huge contrast re-pricing. They could be charging a lot more for match day tickets, now they are in division 2, but they pegged back costs to the lowest in the league as they want their fans to come along for the journey with them, without making a quick buck. Result is record number of season ticket holders and average home crowds in excess of 500-600. Loyalty to fans. 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

How am I being condescending? How much do Darvel charge normally. Bet it is less than £10 per match, yet here they are charging £22 for this Scottish Cup tie. That is outrageous. You say in your response to another guy that the majority of fans at match may be neutral. So I assume, my thoughts, that there won’t be a big crowd? 

We will never know but it would be interesting to find out, locally, as to what the crowd would have been had they charged £8-£10. You, I assume, will be local to the area, but I bet very few will be enamoured by the apparent greed shown by the club. 

You only need to look at Bonnyrigg, for a huge contrast re-pricing. They could be charging a lot more for match day tickets, now they are in division 2, but they pegged back costs to the lowest in the league as they want their fans to come along for the journey with them, without making a quick buck. Result is record number of season ticket holders and average home crowds in excess of 500-600. Loyalty to fans. 

Your being condescending about me, when you haven't a clue.
What is wrong with you, I didn't say the majority of fans were neutral, i assumed, a big difference. Darvel don't have a big fan base, never have. You haven't a scubby about Darvel, and sounds like only from what you hear on here, and yeah I'm assuming that.  Normally away support from Darvel is about 20 to 50 and at home, being informed it could be 200 odd fans and any team who go to play Darvel usually bring a big support, boosting the crowds

Again, someone who just says stuff without a clue
I live no where near Darvel, I don't even live in Ayrshire ffs and don't support Darvel, never have nor never will. I however love them to win the tie for the lower levels of our football.  Darvel to me when I played against them were just a typical second division Ayrshire club where we expected to get 3pt and sometimes pump them.  The greed of the club, I have to laugh, ffs they were advertising for, i think it was a managing director paying £25,000, they pay huge amount of sums to players and they know they wont recoup that, Ever.  Darvel are a WOSFL premier team and I think nearly everyone would say they won the league last season on merit fully deserved and are full on favorites for the league this year and the football, is supposed to be a high standard for the level and what do they charge for a league game, i haven't a clue but could it be £9, level with Pollok. Could someone inform us all what Darvel charge for their premier league games.

I take it your from the East and don't come over this side much and if I assumed right then obviously you haven't a clue talking about regarding West clubs, even the areas of Ayrshire teams are totally different from the areas of the West teams 
Darvel as far as I know have about 100 / 200 fans in total and that's it, ( but I'm sure someone can come up with the full facts of amount of Darvel fans out there who go to games).  They don't even have an U20s teams, they binned it, and yes binned the U20s team during the season, tossing those young lads to the wind, not caring, so there's no young fan base coming through.   If Darvel gave away tickets for a £5, they still wont get anywhere near 200 when they drop down divisions, which I expect will eventually happen as most people in the West think the same but when, then that's a different matter but clearly when the money leaves or runs out they will go down.  You need to understand the Town, the location the potential fan base or lack of to talk about something that you clearly know nothing about. The limited size of fans aint shafted, they follow  a top team in the premier WOSFL and think they pay £9, (hopefully confirmed) and the team is expected to win the league playing good football.  I think the price for the ticket is high and think it should be cheaper but when adding in everything I understand why they have priced it at £22.  I would have thought £16 \ 18 would be OK for this match. again, your stating something that its  a rip off for the home fans but you haven't got a clue if there's discounts for season ticket holders, infact I don't even know if they have season ticket holders so a lot said on here is hearsay or people assuming, which I have done regarding season tickets and if there's discounts for the match

I can’t see many neutral fans attending this game for a couple of reasons. 

1. The ownership, management and players at Darvel haven’t done much if anything to endear themselves to fans at this level. Indeed the opposite is the case with their activity on social media. 

2. The price. It is £25 to watch Killie in the Premiership so £22 is unjustifiable. Add in the hassle of getting to Darvel and parking and I doubt many neutrals will attend. Talbot still pick up a lot of Killie fans and are sponsored by one of the Killie Supporters Clubs despite John Gall being a well known Killie fan and known to the folk running that supporters club. 

What local business is going to put an advert in a programme at £200 to advertise to people that will never become customers?

The idea that Darvel could have moved the game to Rugby Park to make more money probably doesn’t stack up. More Aberdeen fans would have attended but the move isn’t going to attract more Darvel fans or neutrals. Add in the cost to be paid to Kilmarnock and for extra policing and I doubt it would add up. 

Darvel fans are going to be hugely outnumbered at this game. This is something that wouldn’t happen with a normal successful club at this level playing a Premiership team. This is just another example of how odd the whole project at Darvel is. I expect John Gall to be on TV milking the personal exposure. He acts as a saviour but the fanbase isn’t growing and I doubt it ever will. Darvel is only sustainable at this level on the basis of cash injections and gate receipts from away fans with larger supports. I’d like to see their accounts to see costs and revenue. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

8 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I get what you are saying but your just cannot compare the prices.  This is a one off game, totally different circumstances, totally different environment/situation.  If as stated there are season ticket Darvel supporters and they get discounts then brilliant.  ffs I was pissed off when all price were put up at most ground but Pollok went to £9 which for league matches I thought was crap.  As I said this is a one off game that many, many people will be interested in and the price was put up accordingly, I agree with you, I think it should be cheaper.   

I am pretty sure you can't make deals with your season ticket holders to give them discounted tickets.                Of course any team can, they can give discounts to their season ticket holders and cover the excess loss themselves, (But how many Darvel fans are the real Darvel fans, I haven't got a clue, 100, 200 ?).   

The thing about encouraging people to come to games, common be realistic, do you think any clubs in the SPFL 2 think of encouraging spectators to games when they stop relegation, the same with the Lowland league clubs regarding promotion relegation.  Most clubs look after themselves.

As i said before, you don't run Darvel, I don't run them nor do I supporter them so you don't know the running's of the club, what they go through, everything is rumored by speculation and lots of jealousy. I aint justifying the pricing as I said I think it should be cheaper but this is a one off game and the club know its live on TV but fans will still go to the match but the majority of spectators wont be Darvel fans or might not be Aberdeen fans as the majority might be naturals

But you’re missing my point. The population of Darvel is roughly 3.9k according to the census. The team should be encouraging as many locals to come along as possible. Not encouraging neutrals (maybe they will do what and offer a discount to locals with them covering the offset but that is poor treatment of the Aberdeen fans!!). If you get the locals in and they enjoy themselves then maybe there is a chance you can increase your fan base. But pricing it like this will not help you achieve this imo. 

£15 would have seemed fair given everything else they are charging on the day. It strikes me that they are looking upon this as an opportunity to squeeze every last penny the possibly can rather than look it at as opportunity to grew the clubs. That’s their choice. 

Population of Auchinleck is c3600 so Darvel is bigger. Talbot draw some fans from Mauchline c3900 , Catrine c2000 and Ochiltree c1000 but not massive numbers. Not sure if Darvel get fans from Galston 2300 or Newmilns 1300. 

Darvel aren’t building a fan base and I doubt they ever will. 

If what I’m hearing is correct and it’s £22 for adults and £16 concessions it’s just another shambolic decision from the club but You have the choice u either pay it or don’t .

what’s also very strange is the game is just over 2 weeks away and there has Been no confirmation of the prices or indeed what the capacity has to be .

all they have done is advertise saying if u join the lottery for 2 months it guarantees a ticket for the game so if I’ve done my maths correct that’s £42 to watch a junior team ! I’ve also heard that the capacity has been increased which means basically everyone who wanted a ticket for the game would have got one anyway so no need for this attempt to attract lottery members and one which will be sure to backfire on them .

let’s no be kidded here the sheep Brought 1200 to rugby park during a holiday period so they ain’t bringing 1200 to darvel on a Monday night with game live on tv and no rail links to the town .

I’m also sure  at let’s say £15 and £10 per  ticket many neutrals would have said let’s go to this and see if an upset will happen but im No so sure they will at the prices I’ve been told with game Live on telly.

this was a chance to attract new fans to the club but as per it looks from here as if they are just trying to fleece people for as much as they can 

4 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

If what I’m hearing is correct and it’s £22 for adults and £16 concessions it’s just another shambolic decision from the club but You have the choice u either pay it or don’t .

what’s also very strange is the game is just over 2 weeks away and there has Been no confirmation of the prices or indeed what the capacity has to be .

all they have done is advertise saying if u join the lottery for 2 months it guarantees a ticket for the game so if I’ve done my maths correct that’s £42 to watch a junior team ! I’ve also heard that the capacity has been increased which means basically everyone who wanted a ticket for the game would have got one anyway so no need for this attempt to attract lottery members and one which will be sure to backfire on them .

let’s no be kidded here the sheep Brought 1200 to rugby park during a holiday period so they ain’t bringing 1200 to darvel on a Monday night with game live on tv and no rail links to the town .

I’m also sure  at let’s say £15 and £10 per  ticket many neutrals would have said let’s go to this and see if an upset will happen but im No so sure they will at the prices I’ve been told with game Live on telly.

this was a chance to attract new fans to the club but as per it looks from here as if they are just trying to fleece people for as much as they can 

So DL after all that pontificating (sic) are you going to the game. 

10 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

But you’re missing my point. The population of Darvel is roughly 3.9k according to the census. The team should be encouraging as many locals to come along as possible. Not encouraging neutrals (maybe they will do what and offer a discount to locals with them covering the offset but that is poor treatment of the Aberdeen fans!!). If you get the locals in and they enjoy themselves then maybe there is a chance you can increase your fan base. But pricing it like this will not help you achieve this imo. 

£15 would have seemed fair given everything else they are charging on the day. It strikes me that they are looking upon this as an opportunity to squeeze every last penny the possibly can rather than look it at as opportunity to grew the clubs. That’s their choice. 

I aint missing your point, I know how to bring people through a football door, how to get locals interested in the team and put structures in place for teams I've worked with.   I've said all, all along the price is high for this match, I think for the match it should be about £16/18 but only the people who run the club know the full facts and they have put the prices high and we do not know if locals are getting discounts etc... but its no big deal if you don't want to pay the price then don't go, its live on TV, and I wouldn't travel down to Darvel as a neutral to watch them play at a fourth round Scottish Tie at that price, especially when its on TV.  The people who are putting money into Darvel are they doing it as a legacy to grow the club, to me defiantly not, looks more like here and now and deal with the future later

Do you think they were thinking of growing when this dissolved their U20s and the young players all tossed to the winds, don't think any of those players, parents, people close to them will want much to do with Darvel, so a huge loss of support down that avenue. If Darvel try to start a youth system, will there be many wanting to jump to it, I doubt it very much, so their reputation outside Darvel and inside Darvel has taken a hit in regards to youth, thus any potential young fans are being lost.  FFs, I took my nephew to the Dalry v St Rochs game last season, (finished 6.5 and the Dalry keeper scored for Dalry lol), he got in free and was given a ticket to get a free purchase of either hotdog, burger or pie with chips, and a free bag of sweeties.  He loved it, he said it was amazing and he was captured. He went back home to his mothers and now him and three of his pals go to Dalry games now and then and his father takes them, that's 5 extra people now enjoying going to Darly games and telling others to come.

Its when people come out with reasoning when they/we are not in view of the full facts, most of the stuff is guess work and hearsay and again most people on this thread from start are not fans of Darvel, ffs even the thread was started by a supporter of another club in the same division lolol. 

Squeezing every last penny.  Maybe I'm wrong but would the club not have made more money moving to a bigger park, I was suprised that the chairman said they will play at Home against Aberdeen. Obviously moving to a bigger park, the host club would charge a fee and how big would the attendance be ?  If Darvel are shafting the Aberdeen fans, the away support then they aint the first team in Scottish football to do so and I get a feeling they wont be the last

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 31/12/2022 at 19:56, Bheaten Castard said:

Great result last night for Darvel but you could have fitted the support into a phone box.There is no way they will sell out the Scottish cup tie.£22 a ticket on a Monday and on TV.Doubt if Aberdeen will bring 3k plus.

Be disappointed if we are changed £22 as It was £15 to watch Annan Athletic earlier in the season. Aberdeen have 4 away games in a row (Rangers, Hearts, Darvel, Hibs). January is going to be an expensive month for us. 

Aberdeen haven't sold any tickets as of yet and we don't know our allocation. I do wonder if Aberdeen have disagreed on ticket price. 

Edited by betting competition

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I aint missing your point, I know how to bring people through a football door, how to get locals interested in the team and put structures in place for teams I've worked with.   I've said all, all along the price is high for this match, I think for the match it should be about £16/18 but only the people who run the club know the full facts and they have put the prices high and we do not know if locals are getting discounts etc... but its no big deal if you don't want to pay the price then don't go, its live on TV, and I wouldn't travel down to Darvel as a neutral to watch them play at a fourth round Scottish Tie at that price, especially when its on TV.  The people who are putting money into Darvel are they doing it as a legacy to grow the club, to me defiantly not, looks more like here and now and deal with the future later

Do you think they were thinking of growing when this dissolved their U20s and the young players all tossed to the winds, don't think any of those players, parents, people close to them will want much to do with Darvel, so a huge loss of support down that avenue. If Darvel try to start a youth system, will there be many wanting to jump to it, I doubt it very much, so their reputation outside Darvel and inside Darvel has taken a hit in regards to youth, thus any potential young fans are being lost.  FFs, I took my nephew to the Dalry v St Rochs game last season, (finished 6.5 and the Dalry keeper scored or dalry lol), he got in free and was given a ticket to get a free purchase of either hotdog, burger or pie with chips, and a free bag of sweeties.  He loved it, he said it was amazing and he was captured. He went back home to his mothers and now him and three of his pals go to Dalry games now and then and his father takes them, that's 5 extra people now enjoying going to Darly games and telling others to come.

Its when people come out with reasoning when they/we are not in view of the full facts, most of the stuff is guess work and hearsay and again most people on this thread from start are not fans of Darvel, ffs even the thread was started by a supporter of another club in the same division lolol. 

Squeezing every last penny.  Maybe I'm wrong but would the club not have made more money moving to a bigger park, I was suprised that the chairman said they will play at Home against Aberdeen. Obviously moving to a bigger park, the host club would charge a fee and how big would the attendance be ?  If Darvel are shafting the Aberdeen fans, the away support then they aint the first team in Scottish football to do so and I get a feeling they wont be the last

That’s been the case at Dalry for years now, it’s great for the kids. Unfortunately the words “free” and “ thanks” are not readily used by the pieman.