Scotlands games to be broadcast on Nordic streaming platform.

Lofarl

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This lot seem to be more of a subscription service than a PPV, so it'll likely be another £15 a month or something like that for their selection of sport.

I can always head for the local pub and sit nursing one or two soda water and limes for a couple of hours...

How and when are radio coverage deals worked out? Will we have the delights of Richard Gordon and Willie Miller to compensate for the lack of TV coverage? Or have they been sold off to Radio Tahiti? 

(Edit... My final question related to the rights, not Radio Scotland's dynamic duo. I doubt if Radio Fray Bentos would bid for them...) 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

How and when are radio coverage deals worked out? Will we have the delights of Richard Gordon and Willie Miller to compensate for the lack of TV coverage? Or have they been sold off to Radio Tahiti? 

UEFA tend not to care about radio, leaving it to the individual clubs/nations to sell their rights on a game-by-game basis (although in practice, the SFA will probably sell all the home games as a package to the BBC). 

Just now, ropy said:

How is yer grandad meant to watch a Scotland game

I think, like a lot of folk, he simply won't bother.

This is a disaster for SFA on the face of it, which you can tell by their apologetic press release which makes sure to say "This wisnae oor fault"

Funny timing this as I was considering putting Sky Sports back on for the games in June. I watch by streaming at the moment but it’s a pain in the hoop when there’s a delay of a minute or more. Sky’s coverage has improved in recent years, especially since they brought in Coisty, so it’s a bit shit if it gets replaced by something worse. 

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

I see England games are going to Channel 4

We are getting absolutely shafted.

At least we'll not need to put up with stuff like

"Screwfix sponsors STV coverage of England football".

😠

5 hours ago, Swello said:

Does this mean that Sky were outbid for the Scotland, Wales and NI packages by this new mob? Maybe Sky's deep pockets are getting shallower or they generally don't give a f**k.

In any case, the fragmentation of what we used to call "TV" is getting to the ridiculous stage now - how many separate subscriptions will people be prepared to put up with? It can't be far from saturation point where things begin to consolidate again.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sky are getting a noticeable dip in subs they could attribute to specifically international games.  You'll get your regular subscribers that want to watch all the sport they offer, but for someone that couldn't give a shit about the EPL, or doesn't want to watch Rangers/Celtic vs Guests, it's either a massive fucking outlay on a contract or absolute theft through Now TV.  Or, the third option for a big and growing group is to just stream it.  Try and stop them, another site will just pop up.  So have Sky just shrugged and not really been arsed about losing games they probably make f**k all from anyway?

The separate subs question is one that'll likely become a big one in the near future.  I read something about Netflix's recent issues, and it made a decent point - when they first went streaming, they'd have an enormous catalogue of stuff from all kinds of providers.  It was great and it was successful, which led to those providers wanting a bigger slice.  They take all their stuff away to their own bespoke place and here we are now with a million different sites.  It's a shame, because as someone who really would like to not pirate stuff and get it legally (apart from football, f**k that), streaming sites allow you to do that pretty cheaply if you use it a lot.  That's becoming less of a thing now.

It's becoming a bit of a farce the number of different services you'd have to have in order to watch Scottish football. Would be great if those running the game recognised this and said that regardless of the money on offer, there will be a maximum of say 2 broadcasters able to show scottish football. Would probably drive the bidding up too.

Appreciate this is UEFA but just another hoop fans need to jump through. 

It's a rubbish deal but it shouldn't be a surprise that England remain on terrestrial TV, their audience is more than 10x Scotland and more than 5x all the other home nations put together, they will always (rightly) get far more interest.

Anyone paying a monthly subscription to watch football now is pretty much doing so on a charity basis, it's easy to source a fire stick or watch for free online.

For those not tech savvy enough to do so, watching in the pub seems a decent alternative.

Bad news for getting people interested in the national team, but clear there's sfa that can be done about it (at least at this stage). 

Whilst I am more than happy that greedy Sky no longer have the rights, if anything this will be worse.

I fail to see how selling exclusive live rights to an obscure streaming platform is in any way going to grow interest in our national team.

This is Scotland's national sport. Like other nations, our national team should also be on a national free to air broadcast network.

It's a sad state of affairs that when a big Scotland game is on, our kids turn on their TV's.......and are presented with Matterface, Dixon and Wright waffling on about an utter irrelevance.