Ireland v scotland

We're obviously not shite. That's the worst part. Look at our players. 

I'm sick of hearing this pathetic "oooh we're crap anyway". Our team is better on paper than Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland, but I doubt we'd even beat NI at this point. We need to have higher standards for a team that has a CL finalist and is filled out with English and Scottish premiership players. 

It’s Clarke’s seeming inability to change things when things start to go wrong that makes me question if he’s the right man for the job. Not sure if he’s just too stubborn or not advanced enough of a tactician to do it or both but definitely question marks for me. 

Just finished watching the match replay there. It's obviously a very disappointing result and performance (and 2 of the last 3).

Ireland massively outperformed their xg and it's probably their best performance in years. Good for them.

Not every defeat leads to ripping everything up, however, we still have better players than Ireland, a better manager, a better squad, a better record in qualifying and I'm more than willing to bet we finish ahead of them in the group.

Do we have a chance of finishing top in the group? We do, but will need to beat Ukraine home and away. Difficult but possible.

I very much expect we will beat Armenia, but regardless it will be a disappointing international window. They happen to all teams, best to learn from it and move onto the next one.

Let Ireland have their moment in the sun, they have much deeper strcutrual issues than us at the moment. 

I'm pretty much done with this group now anyway. I was scunnered enough after Ukraine and this was just point and laugh stuff. Never watched the last half hour and I won't be arsed about watching at all on Tuesday.

On 02/06/2022 at 07:07, RandomGuy. said:

As someone who's watched an entire season of a stubborn manager blindly back a system that only works with specific players against specific tactics, that game last night was incredibly fucking familiar, and it wouldn't have mattered who we picked.

Guess I'll just be copying this post into every Scotland thread these days then.

Forgot it was a 5 kick off until I got a text about the score, didn't bother watching any of it as it would undoubtedly have been the same story I've seen at club level all season trying to recover a game (lots of attempts to play out, which just amounts to passes between CBs before the hoof/ changes that don't actually change anything/ chuck as many midfielders + attackers on the park but keep the same shape/ last ditch hail Mary change to back 4 with no wingers).

Honestly, for folk who spent all season telling Saints fans we were fannies for slating a manager who brought us success previously, the last two Scotland games are how our entire season went.

If Clarke follows the same route we'll stumble into one of the worst runners up spots and he'll claim its a success because we had such a poor result at the start.

The mood is similar to the start of WC qualifying when everyone had written us off, only to then go on an excellent run and reach the playoffs.
These things can turn quickly and I hope they do.
It's more like the Euro 2020 qualifying group.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 hours ago, Scosha said:
Wonder when Adam’s will do something in this set of games. 

Sssssh. He's class apparently.

I was red dotted a few times the other day for saying he wasn't good enough, I stand by my comment. Apparently if you run around like a headless chicken preventing throw ins makes you a good player 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

The mood is similar to the start of WC qualifying when everyone had written us off, only to then go on an excellent run and reach the playoffs.

I'm not going to take a firm view at least until I've seen what happens on Tuesday in both Group E fixtures. The result in itself isn't that big a deal to me, they happen  - the performance is what worries me more but I'll put that aside until Tuesday and see how the land lies after that.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

We didn't qualify from the world cup group,  it was a failure 

7 minutes ago, Binos said:

We reached the playoffs. Which for me is a success, we should be aiming for that each year from a very difficult European qualifying section. 

It's like saying getting to the world cup is a failure if you don't win the tournament, don't agree at all.

10 minutes ago, Binos said:

We qualified for the playoffs from the world cup group. We didn't qualify for the world cup from the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

It's like saying getting to the world cup is a failure if you don't win the tournament, don't agree at all.

No it's not, it's like saying that getting to the World Cup and then being knocked out in the first round is a failure, which it is?

Bertie Vogts reached the play-offs and nobody classed that as "success".

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

No it's not, it's like saying that getting to the World Cup and then being knocked out in the first round is a failure, which it is?

So only 32 teams qualify for the world cup and every else fails? 

So 85% of footballing nations are failures? Based on 211 total.

Do you think 85% of people / entities fail in other aspects of life?

What a bleak way to view the world. Kind of expected with the Scottish mentality I guess.

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It is a failure, that's why the SFA don't give out contract extensions for reaching playoffs. The SFA give a manager two chances so long as things don't go catastrophically. I still think the world cup qualifying campaign was good and counts for something. He has used up a life and the nations league hasn't started perfectly. That's about as far as I'd go.

If things go off the rails and the SFA lose confidence in him getting us to Germany 2024 then he will possibly lose his job but with only two games of the Nations League completed it's too early to make a judgement. I'm not sure how the Nations League fits into his contractual obligations.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, Satoshi said:

So only 32 teams qualify for the world cup and every else fails? 

So 85% of footballing nations are failures? Based on 211 total.

Do you think 85% of people / entities fail in other aspects of life?

What a bleak way to view the world. Kind of expected with the Scottish mentality I guess.

Each country has its own aims what constitutes success.

For example, if San Marino finished second bottom of a qualifying group then that would be a successful campaign for them.

Scotland's aim has to be qualifying from the first round of both the Euros and the WC. That's our golden fleece. 

However, due to our long list of failed campaigns, just qualifying for a tournament now can be considered a success.

Clarke reached the semi-finals of the play-off where we were knocked out at home in a one-legged match against a team of roughly the same quality.

If, in your world, the constitutes success then fill your boots, but you'll have a hard time defending that position in a football forum.

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It is a failure, that's why the SFA don't give out contract extensions for reaching playoffs. The SFA give a manager two chances so long as things don't go catastrophically. I still think the world cup qualifying campaign was good and counts for something. He has used up a life and the nations league hasn't started perfectly. That's about as far as I'd go.

If things go off the rails and the SFA lose confidence in him getting us to Germany 2024 then he will possibly lose his job but with only two games of the Nations League completed it's too early to make a judgement.

I'm not suggesting he should be sacked at present.

However, if this form continues over the next four games then his position will need to be reviewed at the end of September.

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Scotland's aim has to be qualifying from the first round of both the Euros and the WC. That's our golden fleece. 

That might be the fans definition of success, but I think it's clear enough that qualifying for tournaments is still our aim. Progressing from the first round isn't a primary objective as far as I can see.