Northern Ireland Assembly Election 2022

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m honestly conflicted by this.  U.S. politicians sticking their noses into U.K. politics is something I find hard to support.

America has always had an interest in Ireland.

There is a big irish diaspora in North East USA and in Chicago and beyond.

Lot of there politicians claim irish heritage.

Back in the days and months just after the end of the American Civil War,pro irish politicians pushed Congress to provide an army to invade Ireland and liberate it from British rule.

If passed it would have been a walk over,battle hardened American troops just out of the most vicious and modern war the world had ever seen,led by the famed "Irish Brigade".

But that same War and all the pain that went with it,was enough to deter any thoughts of sailing across the Atlantic and kicking the British out of Ireland.

Regardless they've been heavily involved ever since however in what is happening in Ireland.

Joe Biden has Irish roots.........

7 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

In principle I might agree with you and there are plenty of individuals including Mo Mowlam and others who deserve praise but I'm not convinced the GFA would have got off the ground without them. 

Also, they’ll likely have read it, which is an improvement on Brexit Secretary at the time of withdrawal negotiations Dominic Raab.  

15 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

In principle I might agree with you and there are plenty of individuals including Mo Mowlam and others who deserve praise but I'm not convinced the GFA would have got off the ground without them. There is a legitimate interest here.

And even if there isn't, and even if they're sticking their noses in where its not wanted. They are, and it's not a good idea to piss off Joe genuinely Irish O'Biden.

Always thought Mo Mowlam was a really open-minded and genuine person.  She truly cared and I think all sides realised she didn't have a hidden agenda.

Her death was really sad.

14 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Back in the days and months just after the end of the American Civil War,pro irish politicians pushed Congress to provide an army to invade Ireland and liberate it from British rule.

If passed it would have been a walk over,battle hardened American troops just out of the most vicious and modern war the world had ever seen,led by the famed "Irish Brigade".

But that same War and all the pain that went with it,was enough to deter any thoughts of sailing across the Atlantic and kicking the British out of Ireland.

Regardless they've been heavily involved ever since however in what is happening in Ireland.

I know all that and I’m talking about their interference in the UK’s affairs.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I know all that and I’m talking about their interference in the UK’s affairs.

America as you know has its fingers in a lot of countries affairs,because Ireland means something to them,then British affairs are fair game as well........

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

America as you know has its fingers in a lot of countries affairs,because Ireland means something to them,then British affairs are fair game as well........

Yeah I can think of some of the countries whose affairs the USA have had their fingers in.  The citizens of crackpot regimes in central and South America have often suffered the consequences.

If you think that Joe Biden has the right to interfere in our domestic issues then you have scant respect for our sovereignty.

All that said if the US withdraws from/fails to agree on trading arrangements with the UK it is quite entitled to do so.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah I can think of some of the countries whose affairs the USA have had their fingers in.  The citizens of crackpot regimes in central and South America have often suffered the consequences.

If you think that Joe Biden has the right to interfere in our domestic issues then you have scant respect for our sovereignty.

All that said if the US withdraws from/fails to agree on trading arrangements with the UK it is quite entitled to do so.

Actually agree with that.

Must be a first.

The UK has been America's vassal state for decades and has just jettisoned its only possible counterweight, on account of being horrible foreign continentals. 

The GFA is not an internal sovereign matter decided by the UK either: it is an international settlement, which the US played a major role in mediating. 

I'm sure that the UK could call on the tens of millions of Americans with British and Ulster heritage to defend their precious sovereignty - if it weren't for it being roundly dinghied by their descendants. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

I thought I had heard all the nonsense but this is a new one. 

7 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

They're talking about the top Russian troops being burnt out after a couple of months, I doubt the Americans would have made it across the Atlantic without mutinying, eating each other, or masturbating to death.

On 13/05/2022 at 20:52, welshbairn said:

They're talking about the top Russian troops being burnt out after a couple of months, I doubt the Americans would have made it across the Atlantic without mutinying, eating each other, or masturbating to death.

Given the obvious logistical difficulties of crossing the Atlantic, the F-word Brotherhood invaded Canada instead to a minor extent, which was still very much part of the British Empire at the time. F-word Raids is what to search for in wikipedia to see the details.

On 13/05/2022 at 15:46, Clown Job said:

If it’s a choice between a crap trade deal with the EU and keeping unionist in NI happy…

Reality is NI just isn’t worth it. 

Feels to me like the only position the DUP and UK govt will accept in terms of border mgt is to move the point of check so that the whole of the island of Ireland is part of the UK diaspora. 

John Redwood on Newsnight - "we don't have checks on goods between Manchester and Liverpool". Bit disappointed that the response didn't include "Aye, neither of them border an EU member state which is part of the EU single market which the UK explicitly chose to leave ya fucking fruitloop."

4 hours ago, HTG said:

Feels to me like the only position the DUP and UK govt will accept in terms of border mgt is to move the point of check so that the whole of the island of Ireland is part of the UK diaspora. 

John Redwood on Newsnight - "we don't have checks on goods between Manchester and Liverpool". Bit disappointed that the response didn't include "Aye, neither of them border an EU member state which is part of the EU single market which the UK explicitly chose to leave ya fucking fruitloop."

The reason there is a war in Ukraine is that Putin just cannot accept that it really is a separate country able to choose its own future.  For him, it is part of Russia even if the people there don't know it.

In turn Ukraine has no fond memories of being part of Russia.  It even experienced a famine because of its larger neighbour.   It would rather be friends with the EU.

Strange that some people can't see the obvious similarities.

I think the protocol should referred to as "The Johnson Protocol" so he can't pretend he didn't sign it.

Listening to Boris Johnson waffling on the late News last night, about the confusion and complexities caused by the NI Protocol. Three times in the space of sixty seconds he was asked, but this is your arrangement, it is your agreement, your proposal, YOU signed it, didn’t you Prime Minister??
He genuinely thinks it’s someone else’s doing. His position seems to be ‘yes I signed it, but I didn’t really understand how it might work in practice’. Incredible.

27 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Listening to Boris Johnson waffling on the late News last night, about the confusion and complexities caused by the NI Protocol. Three times in the space of sixty seconds he was asked, but this is your arrangement, it is your agreement, your proposal, YOU signed it, didn’t you Prime Minister??
He genuinely thinks it’s someone else’s doing. His position seems to be ‘yes I signed it, but I didn’t really understand how it might work in practice’. Incredible.

I believe he blamed the cost of living crisis on the Ni protocol at one point