Dunfermline's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dunfermline's next permanent manager?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think like every managerial appointment it's a risk, Murray is a risk for us as is McPake is for the pars, seems to be a good spud though, hope he does ok and we can get a derby game back in the championship or first division 😳

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

You can tell that every defeat hurts him really bad to the point it was rumoured he used to get pished and send the players absolute abuse in the early hours of the morning.

Definitely takes losing hard, but more on himself than the players I would say. People just started coming up with these nasty rumours when they were desperate to see him go.

All I can say like I did earlier is that hopefully he will show improvement and that he's a decent guy. Like Ludo it's hard for me to try and tout his strengths, but I'd like to think he does better at EEP than Dens.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McPake is a decent guy and gives youth a chance and gets the players wanting to play for him.

That's where the positives end really.

He'll give his all for the club but he's not really got a clue tactically. I don't think he ever made a substitution that didn't actively hinder the team and that's not hyperbole.

You can tell that every defeat hurts him really bad to the point it was rumoured he used to get pished and send the players absolute abuse in the early hours of the morning.

Finally, he's the new version of the media merry-go-round. Has cheerleaders in the media that will defend him to no end and just spout blatant lies to make him look good.

E6DGEhFXIAAaoan.jpg

Don't think its an obviously bad appointment, at the end of the day won promotion from the Championship and had them with a chance of staying in Premiership.

Some fairly obvious caveats, but wouldn't have it in the Grant category. 

11 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Don't think its an obviously bad appointment, at the end of the day won promotion from the Championship and had them with a chance of staying in Premiership.

To be fair it isn’t in the Grant/Locke category. Probably closer to the Barry Smith category.

20 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The appointment of Allan Johnson, the impressive summer signings of Joe Cardle etc probably helped? Not to mention it being a Fife Derby? Or mentioning we had won 4-1, 5-1 and 6-1 in our opening League Cup, Challenge Cup and League games? There was a big "feel good factor" kicking around the place for the opening home league game. 

We got 2262 for our final game of the horror league one season. 

There's context for everything. 

I remember this sequence of results well.  At the time I knew a guy who was a Cowden fan.  He was fearful of a hiding and put a few quid on 6-0, 7-0 and 8-0 at tasty prices as a bit of insurance.  He said he would never forgive Pat Scullion for scoring a screamer to make it 7-1 in the last minute 🤣.  He said that there were a few cheers in the Dunfermline end when Pat scored - obviously some Pars fans had noted the sequence and put a few quid on 7-1!

My employer has a contract at Dens Park, which allowed me to spend a couple of hours chatting all things footy with James McPake a wee while back.  The guy comes across as a bit brash on telly, but he actually talks a lot of sense in a footballing way.  I think he was a bit unlucky at Dens, and will turn out to be a decent manager for you lot.
I hope not :) , but I think he will.

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

2 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

I remember this sequence of results well.  At the time I knew a guy who was a Cowden fan.  He was fearful of a hiding and put a few quid on 6-0, 7-0 and 8-0 at tasty prices as a bit of insurance.  He said he would never forgive Pat Scullion for scoring a screamer to make it 7-1 in the last minute 🤣.  He said that there were a few cheers in the Dunfermline end when Pat scored - obviously some Pars fans had noted the sequence and put a few quid on 7-1!

Aye, there were a few people around me who went wild when he smashed it in, there was big talk beforehand about people putting it on as a bet. 

50 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

As I recall from last season McPake isn't noted for open attacking play, so dream on.

I'm so glad we didn't appoint McPake, he's likely to be no better than Yogi.

Hey Ravey, you should get back to the Raith thread as there’s a queue of Airdrie fans waiting to thank you for taking Murray off their hands.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

From the outside looking in, this seasons Premiership was rammed with absolutely pish teams, and the Dundee squad he assembled were comfortably the worst.

The only thing you’d say is in his support that it was his first job in management, and maybe he’s learnt from some of his many mistakes. But there’s, as yet, no evidence of that.

Does he still have that court case hanging over him? 

It was a poor Premiership as not much between the teams really from 4th down although St Johnstone and Dundee did get cast adrift a bit. Even then St Johnstone were more than comfortable over Inverness. 

I'd still like to have seen what would happen if McPake was left in charge at Dundee till the end of the season, not sure he would have less points than McGhee accumulated. 

2 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

No mention of St Mirren I see..........

To be fair to Murray, it was probably too big a job at the wrong time. We were a car crash at the time over reliance on loans in previous years, Tommy Craig had signed more than a few duds, good players left after relegation, board were wanting out and we needed a complete rebuild. 

We were expected to complete but had Hibs and Rangers there and we struggled early part of the year, lost a lot of cheap goals late on and the supporters turned. It just wasn't going to work out for him. 

29 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'm far from excited about McPake coming in but it doesn't give me the feeling of utter dread that I had when we hired Peter Grant.

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

I mean, they were 11th when he was sacked. Maybe he'd have kept them up, maybe he'd have done the same or worse than McGhee.

Even if they remained in 11th (and league form firmly suggested they would not), would they have gotten through the playoffs? The vast majority of the blame for their relegation lies with him.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Even if they remained in 11th (and league form firmly suggested they would not), would they have gotten through the playoffs? The vast majority of the blame for their relegation lies with him.

Possibly, although I don't think anyone was expecting Dundee to stay up tbh. Also not sure that not being good enough for the top flight really matters when judging a manager for a L1 club.

It's not an exciting appointment at all but you seem to be the only one who thinks it's a disaster of some kind.

There's no way you can have a midfield including them two. You'd need two players for each of them to cover the running about.

Post relegation there, there was some talk in the Courier about Dorrans considering his future. Hopefully he does retire, because he is miles past it. 

15 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Possibly, although I don't think anyone was expecting Dundee to stay up tbh. Also not sure that not being good enough for the top flight really matters when judging a manager for a L1 club.

It's not an exciting appointment at all but you seem to be the only one who thinks it's a disaster of some kind.

And I hope I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Charlie Adam as player coach is a new one on me, I have the fear of him and Dorrans lining up together, would be the slowest and oldest midfield ever.

Adam's wages at Dundee were being supplied by an external source. Unless he's willing to take a massive drop in wages and league, I don't see why he would come here (unless he thought the trade off for a coaching role was worth it, but I get the impression from his interviews that he's more interested in being head coach/manager). If he did though, I could see him strolling most games if he kept himself fit.