Dog Kills Man

31 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Going to be very awkward for the SG if/when Scotland starts seeing increased numbers of attacks by these dogs whilst they are banned / restricted in England & Wales.

Not sure how they will spin that as WM bad.

I think the (fully justified) backlash if someone got injured or killed by one of these things that was found to have been imported from England should be quite considerable. An absolutely idiotic hill to die on. 

One of them looks more like a red lab than an XL bully! Wonder how well checked the new homes are. 

I do get the need for a ban but RSPCA and likes are now going to be full of them. Haven't read specifics of what's happening with ones already alive, are they to be destroyed or registered?

I don't think it's all bull breads either, old English ones are fine. 

Edited by RH33

5 minutes ago, RH33 said:

One of them looks more like a red lab than an XL bully! Wonder how well checked the new homes are. 

I do get the need for a ban but RSPCA and likes are now going to be full of them. Haven't read specifics of what's happening with ones already alive, are they to be destroyed or registered?

I don't think it's all bull breads either, old English ones are fine. 

These places are already full of them.  Quite a few kennels don't take them anymore because they are so difficult to house and rehome.

If you have a banned dog then there are steps you need to follow post-ban.  This already applies to the dogs on the banning list.  From memory, you have to have your dog neutered, have your dog microchipped, register them with the local council, keep your dog muzzled and on a lead at all times when outside your property.

Quite often people don't realise what they are getting when they purchase these dogs.  People believe the bullshit about them being gentle giants or nanny dogs.  There are also often cases of the children of owners being attacked, sometimes fatally.

That article is interesting, the vet suggesting people won't take their XL Bully out because of the rules requiring them to be on a lead and to be muzzled and this will lead to the dogs being cooped up and more prone to aggression.  If you love your XL Bully so much, surely walking it on a lead isn't a hardship?  Putting a muzzle on is easy - pleanty dogs are walked with muzzles, I saw a border collie with one on when I was walking at the weekend.  You can still exercise the dogs for hours and hours a day like this. 

• 2 weeks later...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952h05zrwaplkk7z6871t

The Scots taking in XL Bullies as England cracks down - BBC News

Scotland is taking in XL Bully dogs as England prepares to bring in tougher new restrictions on the breed.

From 31 December, it will be against the law to sell, abandon, breed from or give away an American XL Bully, or have one in public without a lead or muzzle. Owners who want to keep their dogs must apply to an exemption scheme or have their dog euthanised. The ban in England and Wales follows a number of attacks involving the breed.

However owners insist the dogs, despite their appearance, make lovable pets. The Scottish government has not introduced a ban, creating concerns about a potential loophole for dangerous dogs.

Buddy, a five-month-old XL Bully, has just arrived in Scotland after his previous owner in Liverpool decided to give him up ahead of the restrictions being introduced. His move north was co-ordinated by Kellyanne Shaw from All Bullie Charity Rescue in Glasgow. She stepped in after many animal shelters in Scotland closed their doors to XL Bullies.

_132120636_7f7e36aa52be3349c236959bdfb45

"We're absolutely inundated," she said. "I can't even respond to everybody, there's just too many messages, emails and phone calls. "Everybody's trying to dump their dogs at the moment, unfortunately. "There are a lot of people saying that their housing, their council, their landlord have told them categorically that they need to rehome their dog or they will lose their tenancy." Ms Shaw added: "It's a family member - how do you choose between a roof over your head and a family member?"

Buddy's new home is with Angie Lukey in Edinburgh. She's got years of experience looking after XL Bullies. "I'm in a position to take a rescue and luckily I've rescued this little one," she says. "This literally is my Christmas present to myself, and more of a present to him. It's the present of life.

_132120639_43e8e681428d443f90c1dc00dded8

"Sadly, come the 1st January a lot of these poor dogs might not be with us and it's all due to being judged for how they look." Angie thinks that people need to judge the other end of the lead - the owners.

It is a view shared by animal charity Dog Aid ScotlandChief Executive Ross MacFadyen says: "The owner, of course, has a responsibility, we can't put all of this on the dog. "The onus is on the owner at the end of the day to provide the care and support that I'm sure the majority of dog owners do already. "I don't think banning something is necessarily the answer. It just promotes the idea of pushing it underground. "I think it's a good thing that Scotland has maintained the status quo and it gives an opportunity to the likes of Dog Aid Scotland to promote the importance of responsible ownership."

Other animal charities agree that the ban is not the right solution. The Scottish SPCA says; "For thirty-two years the Dangerous Dogs Act has proven ineffective in reducing dog bites and attacks. "With more and more pets in Scotland, we believe the focus has to be on putting more responsibility on owners."

23 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scotland is taking in XL Bully dogs as England prepares to bring in tougher new restrictions on the breed.

From 31 December, it will be against the law to sell, abandon, breed from or give away an American XL Bully, or have one in public without a lead or muzzle. Owners who want to keep their dogs must apply to an exemption scheme or have their dog euthanised. The ban in England and Wales follows a number of attacks involving the breed.

However owners insist the dogs, despite their appearance, make lovable pets. The Scottish government has not introduced a ban, creating concerns about a potential loophole for dangerous dogs.

Buddy, a five-month-old XL Bully, has just arrived in Scotland after his previous owner in Liverpool decided to give him up ahead of the restrictions being introduced. His move north was co-ordinated by Kellyanne Shaw from All Bullie Charity Rescue in Glasgow. She stepped in after many animal shelters in Scotland closed their doors to XL Bullies.

"We're absolutely inundated," she said. "I can't even respond to everybody, there's just too many messages, emails and phone calls. "Everybody's trying to dump their dogs at the moment, unfortunately. "There are a lot of people saying that their housing, their council, their landlord have told them categorically that they need to rehome their dog or they will lose their tenancy." Ms Shaw added: "It's a family member - how do you choose between a roof over your head and a family member?"

Buddy's new home is with Angie Lukey in Edinburgh. She's got years of experience looking after XL Bullies. "I'm in a position to take a rescue and luckily I've rescued this little one," she says. "This literally is my Christmas present to myself, and more of a present to him. It's the present of life.

"Sadly, come the 1st January a lot of these poor dogs might not be with us and it's all due to being judged for how they look." Angie thinks that people need to judge the other end of the lead - the owners.

It is a view shared by animal charity Dog Aid ScotlandChief Executive Ross MacFadyen says: "The owner, of course, has a responsibility, we can't put all of this on the dog. "The onus is on the owner at the end of the day to provide the care and support that I'm sure the majority of dog owners do already. "I don't think banning something is necessarily the answer. It just promotes the idea of pushing it underground. "I think it's a good thing that Scotland has maintained the status quo and it gives an opportunity to the likes of Dog Aid Scotland to promote the importance of responsible ownership."

Other animal charities agree that the ban is not the right solution. The Scottish SPCA says; "For thirty-two years the Dangerous Dogs Act has proven ineffective in reducing dog bites and attacks. "With more and more pets in Scotland, we believe the focus has to be on putting more responsibility on owners."

Those two are likely safe, doesn't look like there's much eating on them. 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how this won't come back to bite the SG on the arse.

I really cant make my mind up on this.  Seems the XL Bullies will be eplacing the gammony tories who are moving south to save £11 or so per month in tax? Is that right?  Is it one to one.....would be good if the both were moved across the border in the same transport - a dog van with a cage. 

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm aware you shouldn't judge people on their looks but I'm content in my opinion that both of those women are absolute wrong 'uns.

They look pretty normal to me, save for wearing clothes that match their dugs.