EPL 2022/23

Wasn't the argument that it wouldn't necessarily be a bottle job if Arsenal didn't win the league? The logic being that losing points to City & Liverpool wouldn't exactly be shock results, but enough to lose the lead.

As it transpired, events were much more hilarious. Someone said back then they wouldn't be surprised if City won by 10 points, which is looking very likely.

I argued that it wouldn’t have been a bottle job if Arsenal didn’t win the league (I think they were 8 points ahead) because city would no doubt go on a massive winning streak which they have previous for doing at the business end of season and that Arsenal could end up with 90 points and still not win the league. 

I then pointed out Arsenal would have still been behind if they’d managed to win the games v West Ham and Liverpool when they’d surrendered a 2-0 lead.

Whether a club, in any league in the world, 'bottled' a league title has to be the most fucking boring and irrelevant discussion in all of sport, not just football.

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Whether a club, in any league in the world, 'bottled' a league title has to be the most fucking boring and irrelevant discussion in all of sport, not just football.

Counterpoint:

1 minute ago, ArabGaz said:

I do find it funny they bottled it but I am quite surprised at how many people seem happy they didn’t win.

I thought that people might want them to win, in the same way they were cheering for Leicester the season they won it. 

12 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I do find it funny they bottled it but I am quite surprised at how many people seem happy they didn’t win.

I thought that people might want them to win, in the same way they were cheering for Leicester the season they won it. 

I suspect that most of these people would have been able to derive about as much joy from Manchester City "blowing it" if it had gone the other way

A two horse title race guarantees some form of schadenfreude for everybody else

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I suspect that most of these people would have been able to derive about as much joy from Manchester City "blowing it" if it had gone the other way

A two horse title race guarantees some form of schadenfreude for everybody else

Yeah that’s true, any team being seen as bottling it would probably be laughed at.

43 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Leicester don't have a media channel full of rockets like Arsenal Fan TV

I’ll hold my hands up and say that I haven’t always been Howard Webb’s biggest fan but fair play to him for fronting up on MNF like a proper football man. We’ve heard more from the big man in the last 6 months than we ever did from that Mike Riley.