Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

2 hours ago, Costa Crookies said:

How many teams have we seen an ego trip bank roller build up a club, then walk away? Then there is a crash and burn. Can think of Lochee, Hurlford, and to a lesser extent Musselburgh. Hope the Belters enjoy the ride.

I wouldn't say there has been a crash and burn here. There has been a short period of turmoil, but the club recovered relatively quickly. Largely because the rest of the committee didn't trust Carling (rightly imo) so they slammed on the brakes before it got out of hand. 

10 hours ago, Costa Crookies said:

How many teams have we seen an ego trip bank roller build up a club, then walk away? Then there is a crash and burn. Can think of Lochee, Hurlford, and to a lesser extent Musselburgh. Hope the Belters enjoy the ride.

Please explain your reference to bank roller for Musselburgh and thereafter crash and burn? Struggling to find a modicum of reality/sense in what you say.

8 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Please explain your reference to bank roller for Musselburgh and thereafter crash and burn? Struggling to find a modicum of reality/sense in what you say.

Comes from a chat I had at Olivebank about 5+ years ago. Was discussing the sides, and he said you had a backer who fell out with the committee, and that’s why the side had taken a dip. That’s why I added the lesser extent.

Don't think Hurlford United have really "crashed & burned" either, really.

The bank roller is still there and is still sponsoring them. They finished seventh (out of sixteen) in the top league. Does that constitute a "crash" ?

Edited by Black Pennel
Hitbuttontoosoon.

4 minutes ago, Costa Crookies said:

Comes from a chat I had at Olivebank about 5+ years ago. Was discussing the sides, and he said you had a backer who fell out with the committee, and that’s why the side had taken a dip. That’s why I added the lesser extent.

I would say that the information on ‘a backer’ is incorrect. Obviously I can’t prove it as I do not know who you spoke to or who he said the backer was. However, I am confident as can be, that your initial post on this (re-Musselburgh) bears no substance of truth. 

12 hours ago, Costa Crookies said:

Not sure if you've been in a time warp Costa Cookie, but Tranent have been in a steady growth since 2015.

We've been enjoying the ride for a few years now and will continue to do so.

Lie Forrit 

8 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

That’s the income from approximately 100 season ticket holders on one player. 😬🤔

So app 13k for a 40 week season.. Whith a squad of around 20 - though not everyone on the same wage - it’s still going to be a heft amount. I if you’ve got it flaunt it.

How's this for a different perspective on Little:

• Has experienced being the manager on a number of occasions and hasn't felt comfortable with it.
  • Likes coaching rather than dealing with all the baggage that comes with being a manager.
  • Through loyalty to Bo'ness stayed after Max left and steadied the ship.
  • Now wants to go back to coaching and was delighted when Max got in touch.

1 hour ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

• Has experienced being the manager on a number of occasions and hasn't felt comfortable with it.
  • Likes coaching rather than dealing with all the baggage that comes with being a manager.

And lives in Tranent!

10 hours ago, beachboy said:

Not sure if you've been in a time warp Costa Cookie, but Tranent have been in a steady growth since 2015.

We've been enjoying the ride for a few years now and will continue to do so.

Lie Forrit 

And how has it been funded?

1 hour ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

The ship didn't really need steadying, it was just drifting aimlessly. No chance of the league or relegation and only the League Cup to play for which to give credit where credit's due, Little and the team were a penalty kick away from winning.

Not privy to the discussions when appointing Little but the committee seemed to make it clear at the time that they weren't looking for a caretaker for the remainder of the season. It's not as if he was being interviewed for a position at a club and a committee that he knew nothing about. He knew what he was getting into. I should hope that the question was asked 'What if Christie gets another job and wants you to join him?' Suppose it doesn't really matter if it was or what his answer was. It's done now and we move on. 

I can understand why Christie wanted him. It frees him up to shout 'HEY, (insert name of Bo'ness Tranent player). COME ON' twenty times a game which seems to be the sum total of his coaching ability. With a big budget comes big expectations and, if Christie's time at Bo'ness and his man management skills are anything to go by, I await reports of him signing players, falling out with them, giving them the cold shoulder, them becoming unused subs and then being punted out on loan or disappearing from the match day squads altogether. I don't know if this happened in his first stint but Tranent fans you have been warned.

Lenny will be a good signing for Tranent. Lots of potential, direct and good running at defences at speed. Only slight criticism would be that he needs to add an end product more often. If he can do that, then they've won a watch.

3 hours ago, YirTea'sOot said:

The ship didn't really need steadying, it was just drifting aimlessly. No chance of the league or relegation and only the League Cup to play for which to give credit where credit's due, Little and the team were a penalty kick away from winning.

Not privy to the discussions when appointing Little but the committee seemed to make it clear at the time that they weren't looking for a caretaker for the remainder of the season. It's not as if he was being interviewed for a position at a club and a committee that he knew nothing about. He knew what he was getting into. I should hope that the question was asked 'What if Christie gets another job and wants you to join him?' Suppose it doesn't really matter if it was or what his answer was. It's done now and we move on. 

I can understand why Christie wanted him. It frees him up to shout 'HEY, (insert name of Bo'ness Tranent player). COME ON' twenty times a game which seems to be the sum total of his coaching ability. With a big budget comes big expectations and, if Christie's time at Bo'ness and his man management skills are anything to go by, I await reports of him signing players, falling out with them, giving them the cold shoulder, them becoming unused subs and then being punted out on loan or disappearing from the match day squads altogether. I don't know if this happened in his first stint but Tranent fans you have been warned.

Lenny will be a good signing for Tranent. Lots of potential, direct and good running at defences at speed. Only slight criticism would be that he needs to add an end product more often. If he can do that, then they've won a watch.

One question still remains unanswered, why did he contact United, when according to Beachboy”Tranent where on an upward curve since 2015”?
Interesting, Tranent have gone through 6 managers and now on their 7th in that period. Maybe he who pays the piper calls the tune