There was a coo

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

hmm.. 
of the teams that have come up: 
Bonnyrigg Rose - good history in the Juniors, lots of fans. 
Kelty- better not praise them too much on a Cowden forum but they had a decent enough history and quite a few fans
Edinburgh City - we have a history. Just not a very good one. 
Cove Rangers - they have a Highland League history of sorts
Spartans- ach, perhaps the Clyde fan has a point....! 

He is referring to the likes of EK, Caley Braves and Broomhill. Not really those listed above.

13 minutes ago, PELE said:

He is referring to the likes of EK, Caley Braves and Broomhill. Not really those listed above.

I think EK have got above the "pop up" club maybe they were at the start but they have now built up a half decent support. I remember seeing them in their first season v Spartans at Ainslie Park and they had no one there apart from club officials.

The other two are still just that with little or no support one playing in the middle of no where and the other in a town miles from their supposed area.

On 13/10/2024 at 02:24, Casey Jones said:

Jackie, for me, was/is the best player Musselburgh have had in the past 20 years. Lots will disagree, given Mathu King’s (a close 2nd) appearances/phenomenal goal scoring exploits.

Likre his dad, Jackie was a no nonsense player, receiving many a booking, but I bet most opponents wished he was in their team than in opposition. Around the time Musselburgh last played in the Scottish Junior Cup Final, he was untouchable as a player in the East Region Conference. Got a transfer to Linlithgow shortly after, then got a cruel injury which must have kept him out for 18 months or so. Returned to Burgh and though not as influential as before, I think the current manager is quite short-sighted in playing Jackie so infrequently. If the club thinks a player (like Jackie) is good enough to keep on signing him, then play the guy and players will learn a lot more with such talent on the field. 

An outstanding player of his time. 

Agree on all that's been said about Jackie. Burns seems to be getting a lot right at Musselburgh regardless, mind you.

6 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I think EK have got above the "pop up" club maybe they were at the start but they have now built up a half decent support. I remember seeing them in their first season v Spartans at Ainslie Park and they had no one there apart from club officials.

Totally agree with this. They may only be 14 years old, but at some point every club in the country was only 14 years old. The guys who set them up had tried for years to make something of East Kilbride Thistle without success, for reasons others here will presumably know well. They incorporated some existing local clubs, I can't remember who, and they played for three years in the amateurs before the Lowland League was established.

They're a legit club aiming to bring a decent level of football to a town of 75,000 people and that's fair enough. I hope over time they can leach many more fans away from the clutches of the OF.

I think the way they are funded shouldn't be allowed, but that's another matter.

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Totally agree with this. They may only be 14 years old, but at some point every club in the country was only 14 years old. The guys who set them up had tried for years to make something of East Kilbride Thistle without success, for reasons others here will presumably know well. They incorporated some existing local clubs, I can't remember who, and they played for three years in the amateurs before the Lowland League was established.

They're a legit club aiming to bring a decent level of football to a town of 75,000 people and that's fair enough. I hope over time they can leach many more fans away from the clutches of the OF.

I think the way they are funded shouldn't be allowed, but that's another matter.

What's the story with East Kilbride Thistle?

Just now, energyzone said:

What's the story with East Kilbride Thistle?

The versions I've heard/ read are about the board/senior figures not wanting to take investment/ lose control/ have ambition/ move ground, but I really wouldn't rely on stories that may well be laced with myths and rumours. Better to ask those on the WoS forum. All I know for sure is Iain King and James Kean got involved with EK Thistle first and it didn't go the way they wanted.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/new-era-for-jags-arrives-2446795 

23 minutes ago, GordonS said:

They incorporated some existing local clubs, I can't remember who, and they played for three years in the amateurs before the Lowland League was established.

EK was initially formed as merger between Jackton Boys Club & Stewarfield FC. EK Diamonds & EK Wanderers came into the fold at some point prior to joining the LL.

Great to see some accurate and informed comments about where the club came from, is  now and where it would like to be.

The bottom line is a group of local East Kilbride people decided that a town of the size of EK should and could have a team playing in the SPFL. It's really just as simple as that.

EK Thistle rather lacked the vision to be the the seed corn, so along came Stewartfield, Jackton , Diamonds,  Wanderers and individual teams from other local teams. They all shared the belief that East Kilbride FC was a viable project. 

Serious attempts were made to get all the other local clubs and teams on board. As was their perogative,  most declined. 

Naturally lots  of the focus has been on the Lowland/ First Team. Alongside has and is a thriving grassroots section,  including an ever expanding girls section,  with big plans for the future. 

Like all other Community Clubs, countless activities are happening on an ongoing basis. The day to day involvement with the East Kilbride Community Trust , who own and run K Park has benefited the local community enormously. 

So what does the future hold? 

An ever increasing fan base, watching excellent football at a very fair price,  more community involvement and please the SPFL.

7 hours ago, Omnishambles said:

Agree on all that's been said about Jackie. Burns seems to be getting a lot right at Musselburgh regardless, mind you.

Fact they are top of league, I can’t argue with you, but also got rid of best player/guy (Musselburgh born and bred), to come out of the Musselburgh Athletic U20s far to soon! 

No matter how anyone dresses it up, losing eight goals to anyone in this league is shocking. I really am fed up reading about injuries. Like many others I have given up much of my time and money travelling to games but it is becoming too much now. I have a season ticket so going to games or not won't make any difference to the club.

I will have to find something else to do on Saturdays

Agree losing 8 goals is embarrassing.  That said we were much  more clinical than usual. We lost 7 to Tranent last season in a similar game, just about every shot was a goal.We still won the league.

Honestly we played about as well as we could, you dug in, kept trying to go forward and scored 3 goals. Have seen far poorer teams get away with less, just the way of football. 

Not any sort of sympathy vote, but you are a better team than the score suggest.  We would have scudded any other Lowland team on the night. 

Use your season ticket, keep the faith, it obviously means a lot.

35 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cooden said:

No matter how anyone dresses it up, losing eight goals to anyone in this league is shocking. I really am fed up reading about injuries. Like many others I have given up much of my time and money travelling to games but it is becoming too much now. I have a season ticket so going to games or not won't make any difference to the club.

I will have to find something else to do on Saturdays

Hope you reconsider and at least do the home games, for the most part we have been competitive at home and only had a bit of a scudding of EK I think.

I know the money is in the bank for your season ticket, but the team need the fans to give them support in other ways, to look out and see that there is someone there, some people that give a shit how they play today.

I’ve been worried that our core home support appears to have dropped by a fair amount this season compared to the first two LL seasons. We’ve never had consistently low crowds since dropping down as we have in the last 3 or 4 home league games.