The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

50 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

What does sustainable even mean when it comes to Scottish football? Half of the clubs in this country are, or have been at one point or another, a bawhair away from going down the pan. I don't understand why people care so much about it when it comes to us now.

"Lots of other clubs have nearly gone bust, why is it such a big deal if we do too?"

Scottish football in general needs to do better when it comes to food. The vast majority is pies or similar baked goods (sausage rolls, bridies etc). 

They aren't bad things to have but it's bad when they're the only things to have. The closest you get to a vegetable is an onion in something or possibly some soup. Most ground don't even sell fruit.

I get that plenty of folk treat football as a 'treat' (and nothing wrong with that) so don't care about having a pie or whatever, but surely there's some folk who would like to at least have the option to have something with a vegetable and/or have some fruit?

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

"Lots of other clubs have nearly gone bust, why is it such a big deal if we do too?"

My point was quite clearly that nobody seems to care about any other club's finances, so the obsession with ours is incredibly boring.

Just now, Zanetti said:

My point was quite clearly that nobody seems to care about any other club's finances, so the obsession with ours is incredibly boring.

Have you ever read any other part of this forum? Finances are a big part of the discussion, and financially doped clubs like Queen's Park are always going to be called out for it.

21 minutes ago, GloriousHoops said:

I agree, it's not a bad thing, but you understand where I'm coming from as I'm one of the "I can't actually eat anything (hot) on that menu or I'll be ill" minority (now TBF I'm just guessing all that stuff isn't gf) it does piss me off that vegan does appear to be "the alternative".

Vegan is a choice, gf isn't a choice for me, and others. 

Again, that's unfortunate but a lot of people are thankful for a vegan option being available. Personally I just assume that whenever I go to the football I won't be eating until afterwards as there usually isn't one.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

People have dairy allergies too, so I'd assume it isn't a choice for them.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any dairy in a scotch pie? 

Eggs and (probably) meat, and yes people can be allergic to eggs. 

Anyway I'm genuinely not making this a "my condition is more important than anyone else's" point.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have you ever read any other part of this forum? Finances are a big part of the discussion, and financially doped clubs like Queen's Park are always going to be called out for it.

..... but without Billy Bowie, where would Kilmarnock be. Latest accounts show net loss of £1.8m, negative net current assets of £150k and an accumulated loss reserve of over £11m. What happens if he walks away and is unable to sell his interest. 

27 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Occasionally, but I don't particularly care how other clubs spend their money so they're not conversations I actively seek out.

Did you quote yourself there?

17 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

..... but without Billy Bowie, where would Kilmarnock be. Latest accounts show net loss of £1.8m, negative net current assets of £150k and an accumulated loss reserve of over £11m. What happens if he walks away and is unable to sell his interest. 

Pretty sure fans don't control the finances at the vast majority of clubs.

21 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

I have no idea what the last two things mean, but clearly Killie lost a lot of money by being in the Championship, off the back of losing lots of money through the pandemic, where, unlike lower league clubs, we did not get free money from the government.

However, we are a club with about 5,000 season ticket holders, and by and large our squad resembles a squad you'd expect a club with that number of fans to have. That is certainly not true of Queen's Park, who are very visibly spending beyond their means on their current squad.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Occasionally, but I don't particularly care how other clubs spend their money so they're not conversations I actively seek out.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

However, we are a club with about 5,000 season ticket holders, and by and large our squad resembles a squad you'd expect a club with that number of fans to have.

On the face of it the loss tells a different story and my point about Billy Bowie still stands. Clearly Killie gambled on getting promotion to achieve a level of sustainability. 

Ignoring the issue of Lesser, QP are (imo) gambling on being able to grow the support and income through improved performances to achieve a level of sustainability. 

Not saying they are identical but both carry similar risks.

Most aspirational teams rely on a benefactor be it an owner or other investor and apart from a few exceptions, neither type does it to make money and both can ultimately walk away. 

For most, the goal of sustainability requires some speculation. 

9 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Haven't tried the pie but the price list is criminal. Gonna miss the wee pie hut at Ochilview 

IMG_20230624_142610.jpg

See, I want to know who decided these prices, and understand their thought process (other than just ridiculously expensive).

Talk me through the logic of tea coffee and hot chocolate being £3, and then bovril at £3.10.  

Honestly Scottish football clubs don’t half love shooting themselves in the foot with matchday experience.  I really feel for the Queen’s Park fans.  Lesser hampden could and should have been a belting 4000 capacity stadium, two ends terracing and a couple of decent sized stands.  What that is, is a slightly less crap Meadowbank.   A waste of bloody time and money if you truly aspire to be a leading club in Scottish football.

8 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Tbf its been the same whenever a club is, obviously, utterly reliant on external funding to keep going.

United/Dundee get it constantly with the Americans writing off millions upon millions every Summer. Ross County get it as MacGregor writes off £10m+ of losses every few years. Kelty got it for a while. Cove get it.

Dance with wolves then this is the territory, if i were you id just ignore it as it wont stop.

FWIW you seem very much on the United/Ogren path. Where your owners live in a magical world where you make £1m+ sales every season or two, crowds rocket up and stay at a high level, and youre producing multiple youngsters every Summer to plug gaps in the squad. The reality is you'll likely be a yo-yo outfit renting out Hampden, struggling to make sales, and bloating your squad with kids, over the next decade. Will that be enough to double/treble/quadruple your fan base and maintain the financial levels once the money well runs dry?

8 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Did you miss the 10-page fiasco of a thread that followed the announcement that Partick Thistle made a significant loss this season?

People do care about the finances of other clubs. It’s generally quite a big talking point on this forum.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I have no idea what the last two things mean, 

And yet you continue to try and make a point about how clubs are financed.

Understanding a Balance Sheet is quite important.

All fans should spend less time fixated on the profit / losses and learn to read the balance sheet; how much debt there is, when it's due and how much cash you have to pay that debt.

10 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think the club has any intention of us ever actually making Lesser out permanent home, to be honest. It's a great wee training ground though and will be good for the women and youth teams.

I agree but why do we need another training ground having developed Lochinch into something special?