The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

49 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

The sight of that "royal box" destroys any enjoyment for me. 

My overriding emotion as well. In among the tenements and church is, aesthetically, a superb setting for a compact wee stadium. You look round the place and it’s just a huge opportunity lost, then you look over at the folk who made the decisions literally looking down on the punters with a great view of the game, while we’re craning our necks to look down the byeline. Perfect metaphor for what our club has become. 

As an aside, the acoustics are wild. Queen of the South noise sounded like it was coming from the Royal Box from down the other end. Must have been bouncing off that big monstrosity of a structure. 

2 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Official attendance announced as 826 despite being a sell out. Was there a gap for segregation or is the capacity even lower than we thought?

No, barely looked an unoccupied seat. Away attendance given as 229 despite us selling out 254 tickets.

On 29/07/2023 at 17:25, Spider Rico said:

Yes even before the red card we were unconvincing at best. I know all  part of the process etc. Queen of the South were quite comfortable throughout and had hoped for us to build on the Elgin result.

Most frustrating aspect of the second half was us repeatedly floating free kicks and corners right to their keeper.

Agree Healy deserves the start over Hepburn next week.

I wasn't at the game but the stats do give some hope. Got to convert the shots to goals and shore up the defence so we don't let in the opposition get shots in - they had four on target but two of them went in. Need to do a lot more with our possession.

Screenshot2023-07-30at20_28_42.thumb.png.fae1fdca67f797a22149e692cb19e4f1.png

On 29/07/2023 at 18:02, Ben Reilly said:

There is nothing on the walls at all to identify it as a Queens Park club. The closest thing is a QP badge on the Tennents tap.

What's happened to all the squad pictures, and kits. Especially sad to see the donors wall gone. Got my Father in laws name put on one of the boards for his 80th birthday just as the pandemic started (at a not insignificant cost) but it's nowhere to be seen.

I was a bit annoyed that the donors wall disappeared too. I put money into that as well and it was nice for my kids to be able to point out to their pals their dad's name up there with Sir Alex. Sometimes I wonder if the alienation of the old supporters is deliberate but they're not doing a lot to build a sustainable fan base. The tickets for schools is a brilliant idea but that will take a while to bed in and we will need to do something for the parents who (hopefully) will pick up with their kids new found interest in QP.

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Sometimes I wonder if the alienation of the old supporters is deliberate but they're not doing a lot to build a sustainable fan base.

Stadium aside, very few of the things that folk have issues with are difficult fixes. The problem is that they have shown zero interest in terms of the regular punters.

You’d think if you were running any sort of organisation, you’d be constantly taking the temperature of the mood and opinions of the folk who consistently give you business. That’s not to say that you can tick off every single demand that everyone has. You obviously can’t. You’d listen, though. 

The social club is aimed at corporate. Pretty much everything is. They sacrificed a full side of a stadium to schmooze folk with money, who have little interest in our football club on a day to day or week to week basis. Those people are the priority. Not us. 

Other things have gone on recently in terms of the attitude of the club towards supporters that, if it was any other business or circumstance, you’d simply walk away and never come back. 

I’ve said from the beginning that they have to take the folk who already love the club with them or the whole thing falls down. Currently, they are failing to do that and are doing so spectacularly. Everyone wants this to succeed. That can’t happen without a strong relationship between club and fans. 

My good will and good faith has been pretty much extinguished. I’m looking forward to Inverness next week, to stand with good folk and cheer on the team. Those two things are the only parts of the club with an ounce of soul in them at present. 

On 29/07/2023 at 09:46, Anonymous Spider said:

Veldman so much of a better fit than OC. 

Mad thot Coyle ended up back in India. Would be plenty opportunities here, non? 

Given the diatribe all last year on PnB it seemed he's the most hated man in Scottish Football - not too sure who'd have him!

I see Fox’s red card resulted from Alex Bannon slipping in that game. That goes along with many incidents of our players slipping in the Elgin game too.

Groundsmen need to quit watering the pitch just before kick-off. I can think of Turner and Bruce slipping at key moments. 

19 hours ago, qpfc said:

Is that fox out for Inverness or would it be for next seasons cup ? 

I think suspensions carry over in to the League as they are both SPFL competitions, unlike the Scottish Cup, but I am not 100% sure.

On 29/07/2023 at 09:46, Anonymous Spider said:

Veldman so much of a better fit than OC. 

Mad thot Coyle ended up back in India. Would be plenty opportunities here, non? 

Might be a better fit from a PR perspective, but Coyle's team won 17 league games last season and were a half away from winning the title. Nothing I've seen in the past couple of games (I wasn't at East Fife or Motherwell) suggests we're going to be anything close to that this season.

43 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Might be a better fit from a PR perspective, but Coyle's team won 17 league games last season and were a half away from winning the title. Nothing I've seen in the past couple of games (I wasn't at East Fife or Motherwell) suggests we're going to be anything close to that this season.

True but the way we played that last third of the season was beyond dire. He simply could not coach a defence and once we were found out, he had no plan B. All he did was rotate the left winger constantly. I’d genuinely be more concerned had he still been the manager cause I’ve never seen us lose goals in the manner we did, including the amateur era. 

That’s not to say I don’t have question marks over this season but I’d bet there’s certainly a lot more tactical analysis compared to last season. It will be an interesting season regardless 

Edited by qpfc

14 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

I wasn't at the game but the stats do give some hope. Got to convert the shots to goals and shore up the defence so we don't let in the opposition get shots in - they had four on target but two of them went in. Need to do a lot more with our possession.

Screenshot2023-07-30at20_28_42.thumb.png.fae1fdca67f797a22149e692cb19e4f1.png

There are lies, damned lies and statistics and there's a context to all of that. You had an awful lot of possession but most of it was in front of our midfield, either in your own half, or at least the middle third. Having sat through the game, I'm not sure where they've come up with 17 shots at goal. It certainly didn't seem like we were getting peppered. Suspect most were from range. Our 2nd goal wasn't a "shot", Cochrane walked it into the net after dispossessing your keeper. Don't know if it's technically recorded as a shot.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

I think suspensions carry over in to the League as they are both SPFL competitions, unlike the Scottish Cup, but I am not 100% sure.

They don't. It depends on the offence, not the organisation running the competition. Suspensions for serious foul play, violent conduct or spitting are served immediately regardless of competition. Bans for two yellows or for a last man sending off are competition specific. So for instance Charlie Fox, sent off for Denial of a Goalscoring Opportunity will be banned from the first tie in the League Cup next season, but Steven Hetherington, sent off for Alloa for Serious Foul Play will be banned immediately and miss this week's League game against QoS.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They don't. It depends on the offence, not the organisation running the competition. Suspensions for serious foul play, violent conduct or spitting are served immediately regardless of competition. Bans for two yellows or for a last man sending off are competition specific. So for instance Charlie Fox, sent off for Denial of a Goalscoring Opportunity will be banned from the first tie in the League Cup next season, but Steven Hetherington, sent off for Alloa for Serious Foul Play will be banned immediately and miss this week's League game against QoS.

Yes. I believe we are the second row, not the first.

fox.JPG

I think it will be a strange start to the season. Beuker seems very confident that when the players learn the new systems it will serve us much better than whatever Coyle was trying to do last year. I don’t think (clearly) that it will result in us being great straight away this year. 

I thought it was interesting when Fox said the young guys are a year or so ahead of the first team in learning the new style of football because they were under the control of Beuker and his team.

Long term if they get the kids and the first team playing the same way, it should become relatively interchangeable when players leave, get injured etc. I don’t think it’s a surprise Bruce, McLeish and McKenna have looked good since they came in and arguably more comfortable than the senior players (I’m giving McKenna a pass for his error, he’s looked great otherwise) with this style of football.

So long as we can see continual progress over the first few games that’s where my expectations are at.