The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, pmonigatti said:

Would like to see us move to a 3-4-3. I’m sure I read that Veldman used it in the games he took charge at Anderlecht.

The back two are far too fragile against the counter attack, adding that extra body in there may help solve that problem. Especially if the extra man in the 3 is able to step up when in possession to play in the hole where Spong currently sits. 

Not sure we can play Fox and Tizzard alone together, too similar in types for me. Bannon looks like he has the extra yard of pace that might allow the other two centre backs to be a bit more physical.

No real problem from me playing Dom and Hepburn on either side. I did wonder if todays set up was to try and pair experience with youth on either side.

I don’t thing McKenna was at fault for any of the goals, not sure why he’s getting stick. 

My 3-4-3 lineup would probably look something like:

Hepburn  Paton  Thomas

Robson  Spong  Thomson Longridge

Fox   Bannon  Tizzard

(if we play bannon in between the two bigger lads it might give the right balance)

I didn’t think McKenna covered himself in glory for any of the first four goals to be honest. The first one is just no no for goalies to let in at this level although there seemed to be a mix up with both sides in the box as no one got a touch on it. 

I was impressed by how calm he was on the ball. He’s clearly been told to try and play out from the back which is easier said that done especially at 5-2 but he was sticking to his instructions in that respect. 

27 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I do not believe Ferrie would have shipped five goals last night.

You could argue the first goal could have been dealt better but I put that down as a collective shambles more than anything. The rest I genuinely don’t see Ferrie saving. You could have Neuer in goals and he’d still concede goals with the way veldman sets up that defence 

I am not wanting anyone to lose their jobs, I just want to see evidence that we have a decent plan B to fall back on when things are not going well.  

At the moment opponents just need to sit deep, and when we (inevitably) lose the ball, just put it over the top of our high line for a speedy forward to chase. Not adjusting for this has cost us umpteen goals over the last few games. Surely there is a way we can give our back line more cover?

We looked better going forward last night although, like others, I do wonder if we are putting players in their best positions. Our midfield only seemed to click when Thompson moved in.  

A lot to ponder. Still early days but we are not adding up to more than the sum of our parts. It is great to have a playing philosphy but you need to work with the talent you have, and to their strengths and weaknesses. I hope to see that in the coming weeks otherwise we could go through October without a win (I've pretty much given up on next week at Dundee).

Edited by Stuntiethumper

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

You could argue the first goal could have been dealt better but I put that down as a collective shambles more than anything. The rest I genuinely don’t see Ferrie saving. You could have Neuer in goals and he’d still concede goals with the way veldman sets up that defence 

Don't get me wrong. I think McKenna has a huge future in front of him but at 16 he does not yet have the bigger game experience which in time he will get. I thought his balance was off at two more of the goals. The first was goalkeeper every time.

8 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Don't get me wrong. I think McKenna has a huge future in front of him but at 16 he does not yet have the bigger game experience which in time he will get. I thought his balance was off at two more of the goals. The first was goalkeeper every time.

That’s fair enough. I think that was clearly Mckenna’s worst game but he’s been outstanding so far this season so he’s probably still one of the last I’d drop. Much more glaring areas in the team that have massive question marks 

Jack Turner-Thought he might of kicked on after the Bala game but in all honesty, he looks a bit of a dud overall unfortunately 

Ben McPherson- Seems to be highly thought of at Celtic and looks competent going forward but can’t defend for his life. 3 goals he’s been majorly at fault for already in the short time he’s been here. Did Beuker genuinely release Davidson to have a loanee who defends worse than him? 

The way we defend is chronic and makes wonder aswell why Lee Kilday was released. Our best performing centre back last season and we’ve replaced it by having Jack Thomson at the back. Madness 

Edited by qpfc

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

That’s fair enough. I think that was clearly Mckenna’s worst game but he’s been outstanding so far this season so he’s probably still one of the last I’d drop. Much more glaring areas in the team that have massive question marks 

Jack Turner-Thought he might of kicked on after the Bala game but in all honesty, he looks a bit of a dud overall unfortunately 

Ben McPherson- Seems to be highly thought of at Celtic and looks competent going forward but can’t defend for his life. 3 goals he’s been majorly at fault for already in the short time he’s been here

Again, don't disagree entirely. Turner has been slow to kick on but I think Thomson moving up would help him. McPherson was probably signed purely to attack and contribute to "aggressive football". 

I think the biggest hurdle is the culture of Dutch/German versus our own. One is very rule based allowing little imagination and ours..............is not. I believe a coach should firstly be developing the strengths of each player within the team and adopting a system of play to suit that team, not coming in to change everything to his theory from square one without thought to the individual. I am not confident Veldman can or wants to change.

9 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

Would like to see us move to a 3-4-3. I’m sure I read that Veldman used it in the games he took charge at Anderlecht.

The back two are far too fragile against the counter attack, adding that extra body in there may help solve that problem. Especially if the extra man in the 3 is able to step up when in possession to play in the hole where Spong currently sits. 

Not sure we can play Fox and Tizzard alone together, too similar in types for me. Bannon looks like he has the extra yard of pace that might allow the other two centre backs to be a bit more physical.

No real problem from me playing Dom and Hepburn on either side. I did wonder if todays set up was to try and pair experience with youth on either side.

I don’t thing McKenna was at fault for any of the goals, not sure why he’s getting stick. 

My 3-4-3 lineup would probably look something like:

Hepburn  Paton  Thomas

Robson  Spong  Thomson Longridge

Fox   Bannon  Tizzard

(if we play bannon in between the two bigger lads it might give the right balance)

There could be something in this, but really it's a question of where Veldman sets the defensive line. If it's as high as it was last night, I don't think it really matter if its a back three or back four.

33 minutes ago, RichRJohnstone said:

There could be something in this, but really it's a question of where Veldman sets the defensive line. If it's as high as it was last night, I don't think it really matter if its a back three or back four.

You are not wrong. The high line is definitely a big part of the issue. The problem is we all want entertainment and attacking football. That requires risk. The high line is the risk. 
My hope is the extra man in there will allow the 7 players further forward to keep that aggressive attack. 

That said, you can’t account for bad decision making defensively. That seems as much part of the problem to me as the high line at times.

56 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I think the biggest hurdle is the culture of Dutch/German versus our own. One is very rule based allowing little imagination and ours..............is not. I believe a coach should firstly be developing the strengths of each player within the team and adopting a system of play to suit that team, not coming in to change everything to his theory from square one without thought to the individual. I am not confident Veldman can or wants to change.

Doesn’t matter what sector, environment or country you’re walking into, you have to take the landscape you’re working in into account. Whether you’re arriving in the Andorran Sunday pub league, Bundesliga or the Scottish Championship, you have to look at what you’re up against in terms of style and factor that into the plan you’re trying to implement.

If your idea is “there’s one way to play football and this is how we’re going to do it” it’s going to fail. It’s extremely arrogant to think you can walk into any level of football, believe your “philosophy” is superior and work on that basis. We got exactly what we deserved last night. Lee Bullen probably had to spend about fifteen minutes working out his game plan. A total embarrassment.

These guys have to understand that we’re connoisseurs in shite football. We’ve seen amateur Queen’s Park teams jobbing around at the bottom of League Two. They can’t bullshit us. We know what terrible football looks like. Last night was as disorganised as I’ve ever seen us, including when guys were training twice per week and earning nothing. Veldman, Beuker, the coaches and the players are professionals, earning good money. They’re not going to get the same level of patience as the guys who weren’t and nor should they. Shape up or ship out. 

Edited by an86

4 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Just watched Veldman's post-match interview. Says nothing about the tactics & formation but throws the players under the bus by putting the blame on "individual mistakes" and "older players not taking responsibility." Unbelievable 🤣

He has quite clearly lost the place, if he ever had it.

18 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Just watched Veldman's post-match interview. Says nothing about the tactics & formation but throws the players under the bus by putting the blame on "individual mistakes" and "older players not taking responsibility." Unbelievable 🤣

All the hallmarks of him and Dom Thomas having a fallout if he isn't punted soon. 

44 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

You are not wrong. The high line is definitely a big part of the issue. The problem is we all want entertainment and attacking football. That requires risk. The high line is the risk. 

For what it's worth, I don't think any team needs to have a back line that is so ludicrously high to achieve the balance needed for entertainment and attacking football. 

It shouldn't have to be the case that the CBs immediately look vulnerable every time the ball is lost up the park. They could easily have been positioned just 10-15 yards further back and I don't think we score 5. 

Edited by AuAl

I can’t see Veldman being moved along anytime soon (nor his assistant Paul Nuitjen who was smuggled in as first team coach without announcement). To do so, everyone who’s had a say in this whole process over the last 3 years would be scuppered too. Dempster, if she’s still alive, Beuker, The Committee and Big Jock would all have to admit they got it wrong and there’s just too many egos in there for that to happen. These people aren’t going to give up on a 10 year plan after a few bad results. They’re on a gravy train and it can’t stop yet. 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the people running our club don’t have the long-term interests of QPFC at heart. When you can’t be trusted to choose what route you want to take to go for a pee you really have to question if this is still your club. Despite all the platitudes from Veldman and Thomas on video, we don’t have a say. Take it or leave it.

42 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

These would be the older players he took off when we were leading 2-1 at Raith Rovers and lost 3-2. Guy is all over the shop.