The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

Wouldn’t be getting your hopes up. Think we’re getting a new away, but the home atrocity remains. 

Correct. It's why the away is discounted on the website but the home ain't.

Wouldn’t mind at least one daft pre-season game. We don’t really do them now. Cliftonville or something of that nature. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, an86 said:

Wouldn’t be getting your hopes up. Think we’re getting a new away, but the home atrocity remains. 

What makes you think that? We have had new kits for the  last couple of seasons.

Edited by Stuntiethumper

Will fly under the radar a wee bit, but Paul Nuijten’s role in keeping us up shouldn’t go unrecognised. Survived by one point and he picked up two really important Hampden results when morale and form were down the lavvy. Hope he sticks around, but if he moves on he’ll certainly have played his part in avoiding catastrophe. 

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

Will fly under the radar a wee bit, but Paul Nuijten’s role in keeping us up shouldn’t go unrecognised. Survived by one point and he picked up two really important Hampden results when morale and form were down the lavvy. Hope he sticks around, but if he moves on he’ll certainly have played his part in avoiding catastrophe. 

Wasn't it Nuijten who changed the system to three at the back and Davidson kept it going? I wouldn't mind a modicum of Dutch influence remaining in the club.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Aye, I forgot how it felt to win up until that point.

21 hours ago, QP MAD said:

I just hope we don’t go down the route of playing on a Friday…hated it when we played a lot last year. Saturday 3pm is the best time for football 

I thought that I picked up on a wee hint about (future) Friday night (lights) football in Davidson's post match interview.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if this happened. 

I don't know how many fitba daft folk they'd pick up from the other Glasgow teams who'd go and watch anyone on a Friday night.....?.....is Friday night logistically better for school kids to attend.....?

Personally it wouldn't bother me either way, but TBH I'd slightly favour Friday night lights. I don't "make a day" of football home matches these days, and haven't (been allowed too 😂) for many years. 

On 04/05/2024 at 22:03, pmonigatti said:

I wonder what peoples thoughts are on bringing in a replacement Director of Football.

It was never addressed when Beuker left as to whether the club would look to find a replacement. I personally quite like the idea of having one in place but only with the right person who would have some level of stature in the game.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I don't think it's a good one either. I'm quite sure though, it would make Callum Davidson unhappy. 

22 hours ago, QP MAD said:

I just hope we don’t go down the route of playing on a Friday…hated it when we played a lot last year. Saturday 3pm is the best time for football 

I think Friday nights would be a disaster. Away crowds would dwindle and any travelling home supporters may find it difficult. It is a brave thought to think that an influx from the community would be enough to tip the revenue scales. That said I do like the atmosphere under lights but at what cost?

What makes me happiest this season is that club decided to be an established Championship club by letting Veldman & Beuker go. For a long while, it looked like the board was happy to cling on to a failing project even though it meant certain relegation. 

36 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

What makes me happiest this season is that club decided to be an established Championship club by letting Veldman & Beuker go. For a long while, it looked like the board was happy to cling on to a failing project even though it meant certain relegation. 

We didn’t let Beuker go, he went to Ajax. If he didn’t do that, he would still be here. 

8 minutes ago, CAL FERRIE IN GOALS said:

If we unfortunately lost Paton this summer, who would you want to bring in as a replacement? I wouldn't mind someone along the lines of Bruce Anderson from Livi, although he might not want to join a Championship club.

I would be really (and pleasantly) surprised if we don't lose anyone from the team's current backbone. If we do, it wouldn't be the end of the world provided that we get a decent fee. After all, that is what "the project" was all about and you can't force a player to stay if he wants to go. I have recently read an interview with Paton and one can see that he is a very ambitious lad who really wants to compete at the highest possible level. 

15 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Aye he did. But I really don't think he would still be here if he hadn't. 

He was on good money and had lots of time left on a 10 year contract, you think we’d be buying that out? 

Just now, QPEast said:

He was on good money and had lots of time left on a 10 year contract, you think we’d be buying that out? 

I think his contract would have been terminated by mutual consent but it's all hypothetical, of course. 

3 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Wasn't it Nuijten who changed the system to three at the back and Davidson kept it going? I wouldn't mind a modicum of Dutch influence remaining in the club.

Believe he changed to a back 3 for the new year Patrick game. Clearly I don't know but I did wonder, after his appointment, whether Davidson had been offering advice prior to him taking over officially. Either way without Nuijten beating Dunfermline we'd have been in trouble.