The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

...now the uncertain status of many of those contracts is our biggest risk.

Uncertain satus? Is there something I have missed here or is it the usual end of season worry if they will be kept on for next season? If the later, then we are no different to every other club. 

I am certain our dip in form is due to everyone saying we had already won the league and the players focus being taken off the game in front of them. Hopefully the win last week aids a return to form and three straight wins. 

27 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Uncertain satus? Is there something I have missed here or is it the usual end of season worry if they will be kept on for next season? If the later, then we are no different to every other club. 

I am certain our dip in form is due to everyone saying we had already won the league and the players focus being taken off the game in front of them. Hopefully the win last week aids a return to form and three straight wins. 

I was lucky enough to be at corporate hospitality again last week and an interesting titbit from Charlie Fox who came up to speak to us was the very small size of the core squad.  Apparently we only have a "core" first team squad of 14-15 players, with those being supplemented by Young Spiders.  Despite us having a good record of playing youngsters, most of our small first team squad have had to play a lot of minutes in a lot of games.   Given that, I would suggest that it is not surprising that they are beginning to feel it a bit jaded at this stage of the season.  Some tired legs out there coupled with a bit of youthful nervousness has likely led our dip in form.   

21 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I was lucky enough to be at corporate hospitality again last week and an interesting titbit from Charlie Fox who came up to speak to us was the very small size of the core squad.  Apparently we only have a "core" first team squad of 14-15 players, with those being supplemented by Young Spiders.  Despite us having a good record of playing youngsters, most of our small first team squad have had to play a lot of minutes in a lot of games.   Given that, I would suggest that it is not surprising that they are beginning to feel it a bit jaded at this stage of the season.  Some tired legs out there coupled with a bit of youthful nervousness has likely led our dip in form.   

Aye, there’s not a great deal of depth. If someone is knackered/injured/lost form, there’s very few who could be brought in as a like for like.

Half of our league losses have also come since the end of January, when we lost our captain and top scorer. We’d lost five out of twenty-two league games until that point and we’ve lost five of the eleven since. I’m not sure that’s coincidence. No one thing is ever to blame, but it’s hard to argue against it being a big factor. 

34 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Well, hopefully Charlie will have benefited from a couple of weeks rest 😀

The problem isn't really the size of the squad but the lack of balance in how that squad is made up. In the second half of the season we have had 8 attacking midfielder/wingers vying for 3 places in the team but only 1 natural centre forward and just 2 holding midfielders. Not adding a 3rd real centre mid in January was a big mistake as we have asked way too much from Boateng and Thomson who both look a little tired now.

14 minutes ago, Skol1867 said:

The problem isn't really the size of the squad but the lack of balance in how that squad is made up. In the second half of the season we have had 8 attacking midfielder/wingers vying for 3 places in the team but only 1 natural centre forward and just 2 holding midfielders. Not adding a 3rd real centre mid in January was a big mistake as we have asked way too much from Boateng and Thomson who both look a little tired now.

I agree with this. I don't think we had a particularly good window in January. On my shopping list were another central defender, an energetic midfield thug, and a centre forward, preferably all "proper" signings and not loanees. And that was my list before Simon Murray left. We seem to be back in the Ellis and immediate post Ellis days with a dependency on loanees and a surfeit of "attacking midfielders" or wingers. Unfortunately not many loan players turn out to be as good as Mal Boateng. Can Owen Coyle haul our unlikely mixture over the line again?

Edited by Spidersmad

Tired ?. These are young professional footballers with the best of training and at their peak age wise. It's not like we have more than one competitive game a week.

My take is that (apart from Murray) as the season has progressed most of the other teams in the league know how to play/press us so it's tactics that will be the deciding factor of the outcome in the remaining 3 games and that is dependent on O.C.'s game plan. As stated previously, we know we have the ability, it's just a case of joining up the dots and doing the homework ......

1 hour ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Tired ?. These are young professional footballers with the best of training and at their peak age wise. It's not like we have more than one competitive game a week.

My take is that (apart from Murray) as the season has progressed most of the other teams in the league know how to play/press us so it's tactics that will be the deciding factor of the outcome in the remaining 3 games and that is dependent on O.C.'s game plan. As stated previously, we know we have the ability, it's just a case of joining up the dots and doing the homework ......

I don't disagree with you on the tactics point and yes they are fit, full-time professional athletes, but I do think some of the players have looked jaded recently. That might be for a variety of reason such as illness (e.g. Marcel), knocks (Jack & Charlie), or just plain tiredness/burn out (Mal).  

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I don't disagree with you on the tactics point and yes they are fit, full-time professional athletes, but I do think some of the players have looked jaded recently. That might be for a variety of reason such as illness (e.g. Marcel), knocks (Jack & Charlie), or just plain tiredness/burn out (Mal).  

Athletes get tired as well. They’re not robots. Mental and physical fatigue both happen even at the very top level. Rory McIlroy pulling out of the event the week after the Masters a prime example. Sport can drain anyone’s battery. 

I've wondered before if the decision to have a relatively thin squad was intentional, but Marijn Beuker shared the below on Instagram today which all but confirms that (I've included a screenshot rather than a link in case you're not on there). It also makes me wonder if he's perhaps reading this thread, given the timing!

Screenshot_20230419-185715.png

13 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I've wondered before if the decision to have a relatively thin squad was intentional, but Marijn Beuker shared the below on Instagram today which all but confirms that (I've included a screenshot rather than a link in case you're not on there). It also makes me wonder if he's perhaps reading this thread, given the timing!

Well it is good to know someone is reading this thread! If the strategy worked at AZ Altmar, I am pretty sure it can work for us too.   My comments above are just trying to point out that it is likely there are a number of factors coming together to explain our recent dip in form.  Anyway, we are still in the mix and all to play for. Gutted I can't get down for the Ayr game though. Would much rather go to that game than Cappielow, which is likely to be foul-fest.

15 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Like the quote said, you need the “right” players. So what are all the ingredients for right? Seems to me it’s the mental strength that has been weakening and that invariably is improved by experience and knowledge. More than coincidence I think we have a lot of young men short on big game experience. Teens and early twenties who’ve been catapulted from academy teams to the brink of trying to win the tier 2 league. Big ask. Their feet still work fine, it’s the heads.

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Like the quote said, you need the “right” players. So what are all the ingredients for right? Seems to me it’s the mental strength that has been weakening and that invariably is improved by experience and knowledge. More than coincidence I think we have a lot of young men short on big game experience. Teens and early twenties who’ve been catapulted from academy teams to the brink of trying to win the tier 2 league. Big ask. Their feet still work fine, it’s the heads.

I don't doubt you're right but maybe I'm happier with us giving younger players game time to develop that mental strength & maybe missing out on promotion than signing 2 or 3 "seasoned" pros who might get us promotion but keep the youngsters out the team.

6 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I don't doubt you're right but maybe I'm happier with us giving younger players game time to develop that mental strength & maybe missing out on promotion than signing 2 or 3 "seasoned" pros who might get us promotion but keep the youngsters out the team.

I’m with you on that. No idea how they plan to bring youngsters through if we get promoted. Unless we just build the future and suck it up if we’re straight back down.