The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

16 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Yes I know. However, like Murray, he could sign a pre contract in January ('24) and possibly leave. That was my concern. Having that extra year gives some security. 

That was my concern also. Don’t think you could replace a player like Thomas at this level tbh(or at least find it incredibly difficult to replace). Still stand by when he’s on top of his game, he’s absolutely in the question for best player in league. Hopefully we just get the consistency even more this season as it seems to be the one thing that’s held him back from making a career in the premiership

Like Murray, I think he’ll thrive with the captaincy. Talks brilliantly in interviews and on the tv when he’s done bits of punditry work 

Edited by qpfc

18 minutes ago, qpfc said:

That was my concern also. Don’t think you could replace a player like Thomas at this level tbh(or at least find it incredibly difficult to replace). Still stand by when he’s on top of his game, he’s absolutely in the question for best player in league. Hopefully we just get the consistency even more this season as it seems to be the one thing that’s held him back from making a career in the premiership

Like Murray, I think he’ll thrive with the captaincy. Talks brilliantly in interviews and on the tv when he’s done bits of punditry work 

I know he was captain yesterday but had assumed it was just his turn on the rotation of recent weeks. Has he been given it permanently now? 

4 hours ago, PeterParker said:

Have just read it appears we are signing Celtic right back Ben McPherson on loan. 

Link for article

https://www.67hailhail.com/transfers/celtic-talent-heading-to-championship-side-on-loan-after-impressing-in-pre-season/

That's good news but I don't understand how/why we couldn't find a permanent solution to that position since we'll... the departure of Doyle. 

23 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

That's good news but I don't understand how/why we couldn't find a permanent solution to that position since we'll... the departure of Doyle. 

I think last season we went through an abundance of right backs but I really question how much due diligence was put into guys like Jason Naismith and David Boateng. Naismith was one of Coyle’s guys from the past (Like Eze) so I’m assuming Beuker took Coyle’s word thinking we were signing the same premiership version of him and not the 28 year old going on 48 when turning in any sort of direction. I certainly assumed he’d of walked into our side when he joined last summer

As frustrating as it is to have not signed a right back as of yet, I’d rather wait until we’ve got the right guy. Hopefully if it is Ben McPherson, he’ll be the guy to do the job. He certainly seems highly rated which is a decent start 

Edited by qpfc

28 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I think last season we went through an abundance of right backs but I really question how much due diligence was put into guys like Jason Naismith and David Boateng. Naismith was one of Coyle’s guys from the past (Like Eze) so I’m assuming Beuker took Coyle’s word thinking we were signing the same premiership version of him and not the 28 year old going on 48 when turning in any sort of direction. I certainly assumed he’d of walked into our side when he joined last summer

As frustrating as it is to have not signed a right back as of yet, I’d rather wait until we’ve got the right guy. Hopefully if it is Ben McPherson, he’ll be the guy to do the job. He certainly seems highly rated which is a decent start 

Completely agree but signing 19 year old players on loan doesn't really fit "the plan". 

32 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Completely agree but signing 19 year old players on loan doesn't really fit "the plan". 

It does if there is someone coming through the youth team who is not quite ready but they think will be next season 

33 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Beuker spoke on the podcast about his long-term ambition for QP to be one of the best clubs in Europe for youthe development. I think that taking youngsters on loan from the likes of Celtic and Bayern and having them report back positively on their experience of training and playing here can only enhance the club's repuatation in that respect.

Also, we've no right-back at the moment.

1 hour ago, ellichtie said:

Any of you guys know what the craic is likely to be for tickets next weekend? Been looking around your website but can’t find anything.

Nothing announced yet

Will be a case of buying them directly from our ticket site. Tickets for QOS fans were released in three broadly equal batches over a few days with a total of around 230ish. Not clear if Arbroath will get as many as that as there will be more demand for home tickets this time.

59 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

It does if there is someone coming through the youth team who is not quite ready but they think will be next season 

If that is the case, I think it's better to loan an out-of-favour experienced player from the premiership, rather than developing other clubs' young players for no future benefit to the club. 

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

Nothing announced yet

Will be a case of buying them directly from our ticket site. Tickets for QOS fans were released in three broadly equal batches over a few days with a total of around 230ish. Not clear if Arbroath will get as many as that as there will be more demand for home tickets this time.

Cheers, will keep an eye out.

11 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

If that is the case, I think it's better to loan an out-of-favour experienced player from the premiership, rather than developing other clubs' young players for no future benefit to the club. 

I would agree with the instinct to have an experienced player, however, having a younger academy-trained player will slot into the existing squad easier than the older player.

The benefit to the club is having a player keen to learn and get first-team game time, whilst it will widen our network of younger players who may be released next season.   

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

The Highland Thistle Supporters trust has put a fait bit of effort in to this and it's worth a read.

https://www.ictsupporterstrust.org/survey-report-register

Brilliant. Providing some action is taken or at least a response from the club that is what all clubs should be doing. I feel we would be the last on the planet to do so. Well done ICTSupporters Trust.

20 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Any news from anyone connected with the club as to how Grant Savoury's rehabilitation is going?

Grant spoke at hospitality the other week. Rehab going well apparently. Surgeon happy. He is doing fitness and bike work but no football. Very unlikely to see him on the pitch this year.

Edited by Stuntiethumper

Our number one priority should be getting Callan McKenna a new deal. Not just his attributes as a player, but he’s a top shithouser as well. We’ve been crying out for more b*****ds in the team over the past couple of years and we might just have one in the unlikely source of a sixteen year old goalkeeper. Wasn’t shy in giving it out to the East Fife penalty takers, a couple of shoves and exchanged words on Saturday, needlessly theatrical dive for a shot going miles wide, strategic tying of laces when trying to kill the game. Strongly approve of all of it. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Our number one priority should be getting Callan McKenna a new deal. Not just his attributes as a player, but he’s a top shithouser as well. We’ve been crying out for more b*****ds in the team over the past couple of years and we might just have one in the unlikely source of a sixteen year old goalkeeper. Wasn’t shy in giving it out to the East Fife penalty takers, a couple of shoves and exchanged words on Saturday, needlessly theatrical dive for a shot going miles wide, strategic tying of laces when trying to kill the game. Strongly approve of all of it. 

Going by reports on Twitter, Brighton will be putting in a bid before the end of the window. Would be a gutter if he left so early but you’d hope the lure of 1st team at 16 years old may help our case in keeping him. Or worst case scenario, we get a fee for McKenna this month and he’s loaned back for the rest of the season 

Edited by qpfc

Just now, qpfc said:

Going by reports on Twitter, Brighton will be putting in a bid before the end of the window. Would be a gutter if he left so early but you’d hope the lure of 1st team at 16 years old may our case in keeping him. Or worst case scenario, we get a fee for McKenna this month and he’s loaned back for the rest of the season 

Would be difficult to turn it down, but hope Marijn Beuker can persuade him that a season or two of first team professional football is going to help his development more than playing kids football on training grounds on a Tuesday afternoon. 

Signing on fee would probably be worth the move alone, unfortunately. A tough road to make it all the way through the academy structure to become a Premier League player in England. I don’t get the impression that he lacks the self belief, though!