The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

A complete embarrassment from start to finish. A fucking disgrace. I suppose when you strip it all back, it’s what happens when you sign a load of kids who’ve never played first team football and hire a manager who hasn’t managed permanently at first team level. 

In the really early games, you could sort of see what we were trying. You can’t see that now. No cohesion, nobody taking responsibility, the same mistakes being made time after time. We competed better against Championship teams when we were amateur. The players either don’t know their jobs or they’re not buying it. 

The Director of Football and coach have to understand that we’re not someone’s guinea pig at first team level. Results matter. I don’t really care if two youth team players got ten minutes cameos when whilst we were being emptied 5-2 at home. People work hard all week and pay money to watch that shite. Keep your spreadsheet football for the youths and show some respect to the people turning up to support the team. 

I can already write what the excuses will be if this doesn’t work. “Scottish football’s culture wasn’t ready or willing to adapt.” It’s quite the opposite. There has been no sign of adaptation to the environment in which we’re operating, which shows an astounding level of arrogance. Data analytics are a guide, they’re not a blueprint. The one stat that matters tonight is that we were ridden 5-2 at home by a team who won’t trouble the top half. Either adapt or leave. We’re a living, breathing football club and have been for 150+ years. We’re not a project or a fucking spreadsheet football experiment. 

Better squads than ours have been relegated. Far better, actually. It would be unacceptable for guys on the money that our staff and players are on to go down. Let’s be quite honest here. It could happen. When you’re earning the big bucks, there is a certain level of performance that people will tolerate without necessarily putting loads of points on the board. We are a million miles off that level. 

By the way, do you know who played exciting, attacking football until the decision was made to sell his best player? Owen Coyle. No fucking wonder he walked. 

On 17/09/2023 at 12:56, ExiledLichtie said:

I wonder if there was a lot of arrogance about the Scottish league generally.  You see it a lot with managers from overseas, particularly with the old firm.  "Ah, the Scottish league?  Its shite innit, full of part timers and cloggers".

Most OF managers underestimate the league in their first season, and even if you go back to Raith and Claude Anelka, you see people assuming that football in Scotland is so shite that a bunch of kids and reserves from a big league will walk it.  I wonder if something similar is happening here?

Just dusting this off from last week...

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

A complete embarrassment from start to finish. A fucking disgrace. I suppose when you strip it all back, it’s what happens when you sign a load of kids who’ve never played first team football and hire a manager who hasn’t managed permanently at first team level. 

In the really early games, you could sort of see what we were trying. You can’t see that now. No cohesion, nobody taking responsibility, the same mistakes being made time after time. We competed better against Championship teams when we were amateur. The players either don’t know their jobs or they’re not buying it. 

The Director of Football and coach have to understand that we’re not someone’s guinea pig at first team level. Results matter. I don’t really care if two youth team players got ten minutes cameos when whilst we were being emptied 5-2 at home. People work hard all week and pay money to watch that shite. Keep your spreadsheet football for the youths and show some respect to the people turning up to support the team. 

I can already write what the excuses will be if this doesn’t work. “Scottish football’s culture wasn’t ready or willing to adapt.” It’s quite the opposite. There has been no sign of adaptation to the environment in which we’re operating, which shows an astounding level of arrogance. Data analytics are a guide, they’re not a blueprint. The one stat that matters tonight is that we were ridden 5-2 at home by a team who won’t trouble the top half. Either adapt or leave. We’re a living, breathing football club and have been for 150+ years. We’re not a project or a fucking spreadsheet football experiment. 

Better squads than ours have been relegated. Far better, actually. It would be unacceptable for guys on the money that our staff and players are on to go down. Let’s be quite honest here. It could happen. When you’re earning the big bucks, there is a certain level of performance that people will tolerate without necessarily putting loads of points on the board. We are a million miles off that level. 

By the way, do you know who played exciting, attacking football until the decision was made to sell his best player? Owen Coyle. No fucking wonder he walked. 

Spot on.

I can’t even see any realistic path to things improving in the short or medium term.

Its too late to meaningfully improve the squad and we’ve basically going all in on this “model”

That being said whilst we’d still have lost, I don’t think we concede 4 in the first half with Thomson in midfield and Bannon at centre half.

Just now, Spider Rico said:

I can’t even see any realistic path to things improving in the short or medium term.

Its too late to meaningfully improve the squad and we’ve basically going all in on this “model”

That being said whilst we’d still have lost, I don’t think we concede 4 in the first half with Thomson in midfield and Bannon at centre half.

He’s hanging so many players out to dry. They need help on the field. I actually don’t think many of them are bad footballers. Ability alone isn’t enough to get results, though. He’s doing the equivalent of asking twelve year old kids to sit their Highers. The kids failing the exam doesn’t mean they’re not intelligent, they’re just not ready to sit it. 

It's one thing to lose a game like this(even this badly) but it's another thing to lose the dressing room and I think that's what's happened tonight. Veldman's team selection and his refusal to adapt to the opponent is just outrageous. We have two ghosts at the centre of the park when Thompson is pushed back to playing as centre half, which leaves our high defending line completely vulnerable to every single counter attack. We didn't sign a back up striker, I have no idea why Dom & Barry have switched sides, I don't understand why a loanee like McPherson is preferred over Longridge, and I'm sorry but I'm not buying into the whole Callan McKenna hype. At the end of the day, he is a 16 year old boy who's got years of training ahead to play at this level. We have a player who was chosen goalkeeper of the season last year and he has been left to rot on the bench/has been playing in young QP games, adding insult to injury. The whole "plan" is coming apart at the seams unless it's actually to get relegated to league 1 and go back to playing at Lesser making everyone except QP fans happy. 

Echo the comments above. Much better sides have been relegated from this league (Dunfermline a couple years back being a prime example) They were a squad nobody predicted for relegation until a manager comes in, destroying the morale on and off the pitch 

Dundee United match aside, Morton and Airdrie are huge matches which will define the direction this season is going. Lose them all and Veldman can’t continue quite frankly 

You very clearly have talented players in that team, but you’ll go down if you stick with that style of play. Absolute load of nonsense. Teams who do well at this level get there by being effective and grinding out results and often that’s not good to watch. Looks like Veldman etc is focusing more on an “exciting” style of play but 

1. It’s absolute murder to watch.

2. It’s useless.

If things don’t change on that front I wouldn’t be optimistic!

Not usually an alarmist but I completely agree. Can't say it any better than you guys but that was disgraceful. I'm still in shock. The players look lost. What is our style of play? Thomas looks like a shadow of his former self playing on the right. McPherson can't defend. Paton is stuck up there on his own chasing shadows. McKenna is being shown up now for the kid that he is. Changes two defenders at the break when we were 4-1 down! Smacks of an adolescent response. Veldman is out of his depth. And we've got no gamechangers on the bench. Beuker talks a good game (just listen to the podcast) but name dropping Louis Van Gaal and a lot of word salad won't cut it.  What is the model anyway? Turn us into a feeder club for the big boys and make a bit of cash in the meantime. Also was it me or do they not look fit-thought the same against Dunfermline on Saturday.  

1 minute ago, GuyIncognito said:

You very clearly have talented players in that team, but you’ll go down if you stick with that style of play. Absolute load of nonsense. Teams who do well at this level get there by being effective and grinding out results and often that’s not good to watch. Looks like Veldman etc is focusing more on an “exciting” style of play but 

1. It’s absolute murder to watch.

2. It’s useless.

If things don’t change on that front I wouldn’t be optimistic!

What’s amusing/depressing (depending on your point of view) is that the phrase used in public repeatedly before the season by the director of football and head coach was “aggressive exciting football” 

Everyone could see that depth was going to be an issue. When things are going badly, you look to the bench and what is there? There are promising players, but it’s not fair to expect a kid who was playing for Arthurlie less than a year ago to come on and pull you out of a hole in the Championship. 

7 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

What’s amusing/depressing (depending on your point of view) is that the phrase used in public repeatedly before the season by the director of football and head coach was “aggressive exciting football” 

f**k watching that for 40+ games :lol:

Even if it got results (which it doesn’t) it’s boring as f**k to watch. I’d much rather play exciting stuff and finish in mid table than reach the playoffs through murderball.

Edit - “aggressive exciting football”. Jesus Christ what a load of shite!

Edited by GuyIncognito

Watched the game on the stream tonight and thought we scored 5 without ever getting out of third gear. Jamie Murphy has bags of experience and it showed in the way he recognised our numerical advantages on the break over and over again. Queens have decent players in Hepburn, Thomas, Spong and Paton but it all just seems to fall apart when the opposition has the ball. I don't think Veltman will last until November. 

Would like to see us move to a 3-4-3. I’m sure I read that Veldman used it in the games he took charge at Anderlecht.

The back two are far too fragile against the counter attack, adding that extra body in there may help solve that problem. Especially if the extra man in the 3 is able to step up when in possession to play in the hole where Spong currently sits. 

Not sure we can play Fox and Tizzard alone together, too similar in types for me. Bannon looks like he has the extra yard of pace that might allow the other two centre backs to be a bit more physical.

No real problem from me playing Dom and Hepburn on either side. I did wonder if todays set up was to try and pair experience with youth on either side.

I don’t thing McKenna was at fault for any of the goals, not sure why he’s getting stick. 

My 3-4-3 lineup would probably look something like:

Hepburn  Paton  Thomas

Robson  Spong  Thomson Longridge

Fox   Bannon  Tizzard

(if we play bannon in between the two bigger lads it might give the right balance)

6 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

Would like to see us move to a 3-4-3. I’m sure I read that Veldman used it in the games he took charge at Anderlecht.

The back two are far too fragile against the counter attack, adding that extra body in there may help solve that problem. Especially if the extra man in the 3 is able to step up when in possession to play in the hole where Spong currently sits. 

Not sure we can play Fox and Tizzard alone together, too similar in types for me. Bannon looks like he has the extra yard of pace that might allow the other two centre backs to be a bit more physical.

No real problem from me playing Dom and Hepburn on either side. I did wonder if todays set up was to try and pair experience with youth on either side.

I don’t thing McKenna was at fault for any of the goals, not sure why he’s getting stick. 

My 3-4-3 lineup would probably look something like:

Hepburn  Paton  Thomas

Robson  Spong  Thomson Longridge

Fox   Bannon  Tizzard

(if we play bannon in between the two bigger lads it might give the right balance)

Couldn’t agree more 

Just watched Veldman's post match interview which gave me no confidence he recognises the need for change. We have shipped an appalling 13 goals in the last 4 league games. Without some kind of tactical shift, Dundee Utd are also going to batter us and we will shortly find ourselves in a relegation battle. 

11 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

My thoughts exactly. Seen it on Twitter aswell people suggesting Ferrie should be reinstated. I think it’s just a case of 16 year old = take him out the firing line. I’m largely against the idea of untried youth players taking up a fair size of the squad but McKenna deservedly starts until he starts making howlers or concedes goals he shouldn’t be on a regular basis. No clue what Ferrie would have done differently tonight. He’s equally susceptible at aerial balls and his distribution is considerably weaker which for our style of play will put us in even more bother  

Edited by qpfc