The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Had assumed we were still using it, but I could believe that tbf. Building a “stadium” that isn’t adequate and not being allowed to use the pitch sounds like exactly the sort of thing we’d do. 

My understanding is that the deal with the SFA is that we do not use the Lesser pitch in any shape or form. It would be a perfect stadium for the Ladies' team but they get punted to a black hole in Govan to play. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

46 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

My understanding is that the deal with the SFA is that we do not use the Lesser pitch in any shape or form. It would be a perfect stadium for the Ladies' team but they get punted to a black hole in Govan to play. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

If true, it would be the biggest clusterfuck yet. Everyone accepts that we have to become sustainable in our own right, but there has to come a point where the self-respect of your football club takes precedence over how much money you can make. Aside from the company of the folk who go to games, there’s absolutely nothing enjoyable about our club at present, on or off the park. 

Young Queen's Park playing at Lesser could have drawn decent wee crowds of locals, unlike the present Lochinch venue which is frankly in the middle of nowhere as far as potential spectators are concerned.

Edited by Spidersmad

19 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Young Queen's Park playing at Lesser could have drawn decent wee crowds of locals, unlike the present Lochinch venue which is frankly in the middle of nowhere as far as potential spectators are concerned.

Yep. Lochinch and Benburb aren’t really feasible unless you have a car. Our actual football teams and supporters are well down the list of priorities. You have to wonder if we sometimes have to remind ourselves that we’re actually a football club. 

I hate to say it and I hope I'm wrong and all this current nonsense is temporary but when you've sold your one asset and spanked most of the money on something you're then not allowed to use and use the rest hiring back that asset you once owned; when your club can't get the text right when they put the team name on that stadium; when they give away the historic name of the stadium; when they trash the historic club kit;  when the Chief Exec has gone AWOL; when your director of football goes alarmingly quiet when his signings have lost their way, under a manager (who he appointed) seems to have lost the plot and lost a dressing room of players who seem to be going through the motions, you do start to wonder whether all the criticism coming our way over the last few years maybe was more justified than we thought at the time.  Utterly depressing.  

1 minute ago, Spider1975 said:

I hate to say it and I hope I'm wrong and all this current nonsense is temporary but when you've sold your one asset and spanked most of the money on something you're then not allowed to use and use the rest hiring back that asset you once owned; when your club can't get the text right when they put the team name on that stadium; when they give away the historic name of the stadium; when they trash the historic club kit;  when the Chief Exec has gone AWOL; when your director of football goes alarmingly quiet when his signings have lost their way, under a manager (who he appointed) seems to have lost the plot and lost a dressing room of players who seem to be going through the motions, you do start to wonder whether all the criticism coming our way over the last few years maybe was more justified than we thought at the time.  Utterly depressing.  

“Aye, but wit have they got tae complain about? Two promotions and forty-five minutes from the Premier League! Would they rather be in the Lowland League, where they were headed?” See to be honest, I’m not even sure I know the answer to that last question now. At least it’d have a level of authenticity to it. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

No secret that we have been haemorrhaging cash during our extended spell in the diddy leagues.

No cash and no assets is not a good place for a football team. Could be a make or break season for the Bairns. And if L1 is a diddy league then what does that make Falkirk given you can't get out of it? 😘

Why in the world have we signed Stuart Mckinstry btw? Just listened to Veldman’s preview and he stated he’s still weeks away from being involved. Was the guy injured for an extended period or did he just do sod all across the summer ? More logic to if he was signed to a 2 year deal but having a deal til the end of the season seems pretty pointless in hindsight 

Can see why he’s ended up at us and not a team at a higher level 

Another example of our shoddy recruitment across the summer. I despise the unofficial transfer ban Beuker has imposed by not signing guys over the age of 22

Edited by qpfc

14 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Why in the world have we signed Stuart Mckinstry btw? Just listened to Veldman’s preview and he stated he’s still weeks away from being involved. Was the guy injured for an extended period or did he just do sod all across the summer ? More logic to if he was signed to a 2 year deal but having a deal til the end of the season seems pretty pointless in hindsight 

Another example of our shoddy recruitment across the summer. I despise the unofficial transfer ban Beuker has imposed by not signing guys over the age of 22

Trust the process. 

4 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

You’re not wrong. Every major decision in the last 3 years has been taken from the following decision-making stance:-

Option a) to do the very best for the club we need to be bold, brave and business savvy, or

option b) just get Willie on the phone and he’ll fix it. In exchange, he can take what he wants. And arse-kissing, lots of arse-kissing.

5 hours ago, qpfc said:

Yeah “weeks away” that’s absolutely wild stuff. No mention of Tizzard in the injury update either? 

Not massively sure what to make of him being away getting his badges, although would be right interested to know who was taking the course. 

Huge stuff tomorrow. Already feels like the beginning of the end. Another shiter tomorrow and we’re careering towards the middle of the end. 

Pre-season tends to be five or six weeks, I think, so I'd imagine we'll see McKinstry on the bench and maybe getting a run out in two or three weeks, ready to start games mid-November, which would make him available for about 2/3 of the season, so hardly a waste of time if he does a job.

33 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Pre-season tends to be five or six weeks, I think, so I'd imagine we'll see McKinstry on the bench and maybe getting a run out in two or three weeks, ready to start games mid-November, which would make him available for about 2/3 of the season, so hardly a waste of time if he does a job.

In isolation, you’d hope Mckinstry will do a job particularly 2nd half of the season once he’s hopefully fully match sharp but the frustration more lies with the bigger picture and how we’ve dealt with recruitment overall. Do we have the time to wait for Mckinstry to be fully fit ? We’ve lost 6 out of our last 7 with no sign of improvement, we had the entirety of September to sign a couple players on loan in key areas that we’re quite clearly depleted in (striker position mainly) and yet the best we got was a player who I have no doubts is very talented and based on comments online, arguably shouldn’t be playing at this level but the reality is he’s miles off making a very weak bench that consists of children! In the current situation we’re in on the pitch, one solitary addition of someone who won’t play properly til mid November/early December is pretty shambolic from Beuker imo 

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Yeah “weeks away” that’s absolutely wild stuff. No mention of Tizzard in the injury update either? 

Not massively sure what to make of him being away getting his badges, although would be right interested to know who was taking the course. 

Huge stuff tomorrow. Already feels like the beginning of the end. Another shiter tomorrow and we’re careering towards the middle of the end. 

Perhaps they were told it's probably not the best tactic to play a right footer on the left wing for his first start in senior football. Who'd have thought it? 

16 hours ago, spiderman1867 said:

Mate from what I've heard,you are miles off it. Apparently our 1st team aren't allowed near lessers pitch now,they train everyday at lochinch on that terrible astro surface.I pass by lesser most mornings and you can see in from a street outside, they're never on it.Even look at the pics the club posts the day before a game of training, they're on that astro .Something not right I think

I don't think we can use Lesser as a training facility not because the SFA doesn't allow it but because it's not a training facility. It cannot have the gym, the physio rooms, the catering halls and the offices a team needs for the entirety of the season. The pitch is obviously superior to the one at Lochinch but at the end of the day, it's a stadium (albeit an unfinished one) and teams train at stadiums only when they're preparing for a couple of matches, like the national team does. 

4 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I don't think we can use Lesser as a training facility not because the SFA doesn't allow it but because it's not a training facility. It cannot have the gym, the physio rooms, the catering halls and the offices a team needs for the entirety of the season. The pitch is obviously superior to the one at Lochinch but at the end of the day, it's a stadium (albeit an unfinished one) and teams train at stadiums only when they're preparing for a couple of matches, like the national team does. 

I have no inside knowledge other than being at the player Q&A a few weeks back where they mentioned enjoying using the pitch at Lesser, but I assumed they were still training there.

However, I don't think we will have used it much in the last couple of weeks as Scotland were training there.

On the training pictures posted on Facebook, it's true that the last couple of weeks pictures have been from Lochinch on the astro, however playing devils advocate, this could be due to the above, and the fact that our games those weeks (Falkirk and Airdrie) will be played on astro.

If its true that we use it more for training in the run up to games at Hampden then that would make some sense. However, I do believe that there is some sort of limit on how much the pitch can be used which means that the women's team etc can't play there so as not to prevent the SFA using it. Whether that limit is imposed by the folk who installed the pitch, the groundsmen or the SFA, I have no idea.

13 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You’re not wrong. Every major decision in the last 3 years has been taken from the following decision-making stance:-

Option a) to do the very best for the club we need to be bold, brave and business savvy, or

option b) just get Willie on the phone and he’ll fix it. In exchange, he can take what he wants. And arse-kissing, lots of arse-kissing.

Can Queens Park if they so wish,  say to our Willie,  thanks pal but GTF..

Or is the club so reliant on his business acumen, that if he does go he will take the fillings out your teeth as part of the process . 

17 hours ago, qpfc said:

If he wasn't injured I don't understand how he can be so far off the pace that he doesn't get a place on a bench, given that we obviously have a serious shortage of options to bring on. Either we have ludicrously high standards for how fit a player has to be to appear as a sub, or McKinstry has spent the past five months tanning cans.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Can Queens Park if they so wish,  say to our Willie,  thanks pal but GTF..

Or is the club so reliant on his business acumen, that if he does go he will take the fillings out your teeth as part of the process . 

The claim is that there is a watertight agreement, but I’m not sure I actually believe that. I think one of the major issues is that the club has been to weak to say “no” to him at any point since he got on board.

He was presented as a kindly benefactor, who simply wanted to put money into his local club, when his involvement is obviously significantly greater. I don’t necessarily have a problem with his involvement, as long as there’s accountability as well. There’s no transparency around who decides what.