The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Apparently Simon Murray is out of contract. 

He's just scored 23 goals in a season for a top flight club, surely he's not going to be dropping down to the Championship after that.

Just now, craigkillie said:

He's just scored 23 goals in a season for a top flight club, surely he's not going to be dropping down to the Championship after that.

Almost certainly not but it would be tremendous if he came back.  Then again maybe we should settle for Lawrence Shankland. 😁

26 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Hampden it is for next season:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/spiders-to-remain-at-hampden-for-season-2024-25/

A repeat of last season's arrangements so our early fixtures will be at Lesser, a stadium which is now definitely too small for us. It's a shame that absolutely no work (or even planning?) has gone into expanding Lesser.

Whilst it’s welcome that we’re playing in the Southside, there are still far more questions than answers here.

We cannot continue to go year by year, not knowing what is happening. If we’re ever promoted, there will rightly be strong opposition to the sporting advantage that we’d be gaining as a result of our own incompetence in terms of not building Lesser Hampden. You’d be looking at a seven figure advantage over rivals on the ticket money front. Whatever we think of what’s gone before, that simply is not going to fly. 

If Hampden isn’t long term and Lesser isn’t fit for purpose, which despite our attempts to turd polish, it quite obviously isn’t, my worry is that our long term future may be away from our spiritual home. We need answers on contingency plans and long term vision, because we don’t have it.

This is all of our own doing, whether getting the build wrong or being scared to say “no” to certain people and organisations, we once again find our fate out of our own hands. Making the same mistakes as twenty odd years ago and expecting different results. 

6 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

At least the communication is improving, if not the message.

A priority for playing at Hampden must be to turn this to our advantage to improve our points tally from the Home fixtures.

Certainly in the short-term. As a support we cannot and should not be expected to just accept this year by year uncertainty, though. “We can’t really tell you because of confidentiality clauses” isn’t going to be sufficient this time. I think everyone’s had enough of not knowing what the very basics of twelve months down the line looks like. 

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

A repeat of last season's arrangements so our early fixtures will be at Lesser, a stadium which is now definitely too small for us. It's a shame that absolutely no work (or even planning?) has gone into expanding Lesser.

just means a return to the illustrious hill is in order...

Screenshot_20240526_151716_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

Well, at least it's local!  

The committee need to fess up and tell the supporters what is going on. The shambles that has been made of the Lesser redevelopment so far is not all lost. We can, and need, to something with Lesser this year so that it is ready for next season. The 960 or so it currently provides is clearly not enough so both ends of the ground need to be developed (we can come to the black box later).

Ross County built their away stand (around 1800 seats) in 10 weeks - at the same time they upgraded the traditional 'Jail End' to all seater (800 seats). They had the will and drive to do it - there was no way they were going to ground share with ICT!. That's what we need - the will and drive to do something at Lesser. I'm so disappointed in the club after all the promises made about the ground, then ripping up the original plans for something allegedly "bigger and better". It clearly isn't so I wish someone would tell me what they actually meant when they said that - what were the plans and what happened to them?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

Apparently Simon Murray is out of contract. 

Literally mouthwatering but he scored a brace today and RC would be idiots to release him. Still, one can dream. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders

1 hour ago, an86 said:

If we’re ever promoted, there will rightly be strong opposition to the sporting advantage that we’d be gaining as a result of our own incompetence in terms of not building Lesser Hampden. You’d be looking at a seven figure advantage over rivals on the ticket money front

In the highly unlikely scenario that this actually happens, there's simply no way we would be allowed to sell unlimited tickets to away fans. 

5 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

In the highly unlikely scenario that this actually happens, there's simply no way we would be allowed to sell unlimited tickets to away fans. 

I don’t think it’s impossible btw. It nearly happened before by complete accident. A good manager and a solid squad will go a long way in a league as tight as next season. 

16 minutes ago, an86 said:

A good manager and a solid squad will go a long way in a league as tight as next season

It's going to be even tighter, isn't it? Only one premiership team down (and that's just Livingston), two league one teams up. No obvious candidates at either end of the table this time. 

Morton and Accies, on budget, would look the obvious candidates to be down there but there’s always at least one down there who’ll think “it won’t be us.” Don’t think anybody necessarily looked at the Raith squad and fancied it to stay the course as long this season either.

Uncharacteristically positive of me as it is, there are as many reasons why we should be looking to challenge at the top end as not. Davidson knocked back Dundee last summer, so I don’t think he’s come to Queen’s Park to be safe in mid-table. I fully expect us to challenge for a minimum of top four, if not more. If we get the recruitment right, it’s not unrealistic. 

I have a real headache trying to understand the City Stadium situation, but perhaps I am missing something? A hospitality structure is built to bring in finance, but the result is the capacity is under a thousand. So, games cannot be played there! So, due to the hospitality structure means games cannot be played at City Stadium, and there is therefore no money coming from hospitality at the City Stadium?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Southsideforever said:

I have a real headache trying to understand the City Stadium situation, but perhaps I am missing something? A hospitality structure is built to bring in finance, but the result is the capacity is under a thousand. So, games cannot be played there! So, due to the hospitality structure means games cannot be played at City Stadium, and there is therefore no money coming from hospitality at the City Stadium?

We hired a company that had never built a stadium before to build a stadium. Unsurprisingly, it went tits up, the project had to be bailed out and pretty much started again. The club went completely silent as this particular shit storm was erupting, leaving us playing our football firstly in the north of the City, then thirty miles away. 

Our esteemed former Chief Executive brought forward plans which claimed to be “bigger and better” which were, in fact, smaller and shitter. The end game being a 990 seat stand with a royal box for the few and one of the worst stands in Scotland for us plebs. 

We then reached an agreement to rent the stadium, which we’d previously sold, back from the people we’d sold it to, allowing them to use the that wasn’t fit for league football as a training hub, because it would be more troublesome and expensive for us to build more stands. 

To summarise, the entire thing that instigated this whole shambles was us relying on the good will of the SFA continuing to lease our stadium from us, beyond the twenty year lease that we’d naively agreed to back in the early 2000s. We now find ourselves relying on the good will of the SFA to rent said stadium to us, where they can pull the rug at the end of any given season. “Sound corporate governance” was a phrase used by our President on another issue last season. It was difficult to stifle a chuckle. 

Edited by an86

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

It's going to be even tighter, isn't it? Only one premiership team down (and that's just Livingston), two league one teams up. No obvious candidates at either end of the table this time. 

Would not be writing Livingston off, at all, tbh.

They'll have one of the best players in the division (Stephen Kelly), and have already built half their team with relatively exciting players.

Financially they'll be right up there and will go for it this year.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would not be writing Livingston off, at all, tbh.

They'll have one of the best players in the division (Stephen Kelly), and have already built half their team with relatively exciting players.

Financially they'll be right up there and will go for it this year.

I don't think anyone is writing Livingston off - I just don't think they will be such clear favourites as Kilmarnock, Dundee & Dundee Utd were in the past 3 seasons. Looking at it, you could pick just about any 4 teams to make up the top 4. Of course, a lot will depend on the transfer window but from here it looks like another close league.

It must be the closest geographically for a while as well, replacing Dundee, Arbroath & Inverness with Livingston, Falkirk and Hamilton will massively reduce the Championship's carbon footprint.

The furthest anyone will have to travel will be Ayr to/from Kirkcaldy - which is just a wee bit more more than half the distance Inverness will need to travel from their Training Base to the Caledonian Stadium. 

2 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

No obvious candidates at either end of the table this time. 

I remember thinking something similar regarding relegation candidates about a year ago ........ and in the end it was very nearly us !

2 hours ago, Southsideforever said:

I totally agree - and the hospitality enclave ensures the west (Cathcart Rd) side of the ground is difficult to develop further. The west side is the prime side for supporters because of prevailing wind, sun, proximity to the JB MacAlpine Pavilion etc, etc. What were they thinking of?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, an86 said:

Morton and Accies, on budget, would look the obvious candidates to be down there but there’s always at least one down there who’ll think “it won’t be us.” Don’t think anybody necessarily looked at the Raith squad and fancied it to stay the course as long this season either.

Uncharacteristically positive of me as it is, there are as many reasons why we should be looking to challenge at the top end as not. Davidson knocked back Dundee last summer, so I don’t think he’s come to Queen’s Park to be safe in mid-table. I fully expect us to challenge for a minimum of top four, if not more. If we get the recruitment right, it’s not unrealistic. 

I’m feeling optimistic about next season. A solid manager with a spine of squad consisting of Ferrie, Wilson/Fox, Thomson/Welsh, Thomas and Paton is a pretty class base to work around. Not to mention it’s supplemented by Scott, potentially Savoury, Bannon’s etc. Easier said than done but add 4-5 quality additions and there’s no reason why we couldn’t be up there 

Edited by qpfc