The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

4 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

I remember when David Hunter told us that Haughey had no interest in the stadium name or influencing appointments, his focus was on the academy. Is David Hunter a liar or a fool? 

Well he's at very least the latter

I can't comment on the former

The worst thing about this appointment is the utter lack of transparency again. If Queen's Park Football Club has officially become Willie Haughey's pet project, then come out and say it so that I, as a fan, can personally decide to keep supporting it or not. Don't get me wrong. I completely respect the club choosing to go in that direction, if that is the case. Just come out and say it. 

A friendly against Celtic to host his mates in the royal box and appointing a member of the family to a crucial position. What a day for the big fella. 

2 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

The appointment of this absolute helmet is actually making me miss Beuker (something I never thought would be the case)

He isn’t Malky. That’s all I can take from it. 

19 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

No, just a handful of not very good players 

😯 thanks for the response.  Maybe he will give up the sports agency as presumably it will be a full time role as Director of football 

21 minutes ago, third lanark said:

😯 thanks for the response.  Maybe he will give up the sports agency as presumably it will be a full time role as Director of football 

My hope is that it is more of an emeritus position

Posted (edited)

A lot of sanctimonious whinging about sterling traditions and corinthian spirits but, if it wasn't for his Lordship Haughey's generous investment in the South Glasgow Gretna, Annie and his pals would be planning the usual trips to sunny Coatbridge and Berwick next season. He who pays the piper calls the tune in the professional game.

Edited by Charliechurch

46 minutes ago, Charliechurch said:

A lot of sanctimonious whinging about sterling traditions and corinthian spirits but, if it wasn't for his Lordship Haughey's generous investment in the South Glasgow Gretna, Annie and his pals would be planning the usual trips to sunny Coatbridge and Berwick next season. He who pays the piper calls the tune in the professional game.

Ok Willie that's plenty 

7 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/darren-odonnell-comes-in-as-director-of-football/

They’ve only gone and done it.

At best embarrassing, at worst corruption 

This really is extraordinary. When I first saw this, the optimist part of my head recalled that there have been a lot of interesting examples of agents moving into team management positions in recent years, particularly in the NBA. 

But when you hear that he's actually a relative of the benefactor, you realise quickly that this is not that. There's no way he could have been the best candidate for this job based on a proper process, and I really feel close to giving up. 

My problem is, for a club supposedly run by its members (and I know not all fans are members, as I am not), we actually know less about how our club works than those who are straightforwardly owned by a local fridge magnate or even an oligarch. At least then there isn't the veneer of democracy, or the idea that the fans are integral to the process.

But we just get stuff like this and are supposed to lump it. And of course the stadium is this multiplied by 1,000 

I also feel, increasingly, the move to go pro was promoted under false pretenses. Again, I am not a member but as I recall there was chat of an part-time model, but then the Haughey money came in and we went full time.

Is it too cynical that a public inquiry (not that I'm proposing another one of those!) would find that Haughey was a least a presence before the vote to go pro? I just look at how the power has clearly seeped in one direction and that the supposed custodians of the club were happy for it to happen. Otherwise we'd have clarity about the quantity and duration of his support, not just the (welcome) posts on here of social club gossip.

This club means a lot to me. My dad played for us (once, as I probably mention too often) and that first Championship season was astonishing. It turned my son, London born and bred, into a QP fan who could identify a Grant Savory pass or Dom Thomas run in a video, gifts I never thought I'd get.

But I feel it has all been, if not fake, then a mirage, like a lucid dream of a kitchen renovation - the vision is difficult to achieve, but obtainable if only people in charge were sincere in giving it a try. But they weren't.

And I know the answer is to become a member and help those - on here and elsewhere - actually try and change things, and I sincerely hope to get there one day. But tonight I"m just furious. How dare they.

Question - if you could have a go-over and be part time, move to lesser with some money spent to improve what was there on pavilion side and put a small terrace around the other sides - with the rest of the money in the bank for a rainy day - would you take that, or prefer full time Championship football at big Hampden with Haughey?

3 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Question - if you could have a go-over and be part time, move to lesser with some money spent to improve what was there on pavilion side and put a small terrace around the other sides - with the rest of the money in the bank for a rainy day - would you take that, or prefer full time Championship football at big Hampden with Haughey?

I think part time and being top of league 2/bottom of league 1 would have been ideal. Nobody followed QP thinking we‘d be in the championship constantly. The club really is a shambles nowadays 

4 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I think the main argument for the decision to go pro was to stop our young talent from being poached for nothing and I'm still 100% behind it no matter how well or badly we perform on the pitch. 

I’d say another main factor is if we didn’t we would probably be in lowland league by now. 

7 hours ago, QPEast said:

I think part time and being top of league 2/bottom of league 1 would have been ideal. Nobody followed QP thinking we‘d be in the championship constantly. The club really is a shambles nowadays 

True but, as it turns out, success on the pitch has proved addictive and it hasn't taken me long to get used to our current position. From reading other club threads it appears that most have or had issues with the running of their clubs so guess it goes with the territory. Rightly or wrongly, after decades of disappointment I find it quite refreshing being able to mix it with Championship teams. Clearly that is  coming at a price but, for the moment at least, I wouldn't swap that for bouncing between the bottom two leagues.