The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

It’s a fair shout, I’d have us in 10th as well

35 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

This will cheer you all up

image.png.aa744fb69a925441b10ca08cf591b08d.png

Seem to remember that prediction two seasons ago and we know how that season went 😃.  

Happy to be underestimated by everyone but without some signings ninth or tenth might be about right.

Edited by Stuntiethumper

Would love to be proven wrong but feels like we are sleepwalking towards a repeat of last season. Substandard recruitment and an over reliance on untested youngsters going into a very tough division. We were able to get away with it last season by adding quality players in January but we might not be as lucky this time round. 2 or 3 quality additions before the league starts would make a huge difference but seems unlikely as the free agent pool is hugely depleted by now. 

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Can’t say I disagree with that prediction, our squad depth is pathetic right now. Only thing we’ve got going for us over a couple teams is that we’ve got a proven goalscorer in Paton and a match winner in Thomas. 

Still get the fear we lose Paton some point before the window shuts 

Without really knowing how Hamilton might be, is there a pish team in the division that we can be better than? Or two? I fear for us so far but am still clinging to the hope we have some decent signings on their way. 

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I’m fine with this. I think we’ll be fine with a few more bodies in. I think we have a decent manager now, which is half the battle as well. If we’re well organised, we’ll be ok. Need to find a formula to win at home. As poor as last season was, we had the third best away record in a very competitive league.

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Hard to argue ☹️ We need at least 4 signings. Just like to think we’ve got players lined up but not too optimistic 

Just now, Gall09 said:

Hard to argue ☹️ We need at least 4 signings. Just like to think we’ve got players lined up but not too optimistic 

Hey, Maybe we had 4 or 5 triallists playing against Klllie today.

who knows?

only those who need to apparently.

which does not include the fans.

I think our starting 11 is pretty much middle of the pack, and we have a few guys who are definitely among the best at what they do in the whole division. The problem is yet again it doesn't seem that we have any depth for when injuries/suspensions happen, or Davidson needs to make subs to change things up. Difficult to be feeling too optimistic but that could still change.

4 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Celtic are the (joint) least appealing friendly opposition I can think of 

So it is ok for Lesser to be used for games against Kilmarnock and Celtic, but the Ladies have to play a Stenhousemuir, CRAZY.

5 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Seeing these things does give me a little bit of optimism fwiw

Obviously I'm a wee bit biased, but I do think we have the sorta team that should be bang average middle-of-the-road championship material. We're not going to win the league, but I don't think we'll come last either. imo a lot of this crap is people who couldn't name any player in the qp starting 11 other than Paton, and think that we're a one man team held up by him. 

Also, am I the only one here that thinks Thistle aren't good enough to win the league? Any time I saw them play last season they looked as crap as we did, only with a bit more sense in the first 3 games (last one we really should have won). Maybe signings will make a big difference I suppose

Anyway, the point is I'm hoping we can finish a comfortable 6th-ish and tell the "glasgow gretna", "no fans", "amateur outfit", "banter club" etc wankers to f**k off again

7 hours ago, starshot131 said:

Seeing these things does give me a little bit of optimism fwiw

Obviously I'm a wee bit biased, but I do think we have the sorta team that should be bang average middle-of-the-road championship material. We're not going to win the league, but I don't think we'll come last either. imo a lot of this crap is people who couldn't name any player in the qp starting 11 other than Paton, and think that we're a one man team held up by him. 

Also, am I the only one here that thinks Thistle aren't good enough to win the league? Any time I saw them play last season they looked as crap as we did, only with a bit more sense in the first 3 games (last one we really should have won). Maybe signings will make a big difference I suppose

Anyway, the point is I'm hoping we can finish a comfortable 6th-ish and tell the "glasgow gretna", "no fans", "amateur outfit", "banter club" etc wankers to f**k off again

I'm a thistle fan but have always had a soft spot for the queens. It is such an iconic name and strip in Scottish football

Also, queen 's fans are very like us firhill lot in many ways. Very welcoming to visitors and mightily proud of our clubs'  place in football folklore. So, wish you well this coming season  and looking forward to some good natured banter and friendly derby day rivalry..

17 minutes ago, robphil said:

I'm a thistle fan but have always had a soft spot for the queens. It is such an iconic name and strip in Scottish football

Also, queen 's fans are very like us firhill lot in many ways. Very welcoming to visitors and mightily proud of our clubs'  place in football folklore. So, wish you well this coming season  and looking forward to some good natured banter and friendly derby day rivalry..

Similarly I have a lot of time for Thistle.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, starshot131 said:

but I don't think we'll come last either. imo a lot of this crap is people who couldn't name any player in the qp starting 11 other than Paton, and think that we're a one man team held up by him. 

I do think there’s some sort of aspect to this. I don’t know which team’s fan base it was but I mind our team being labelled as a bunch of re-gens last season. People will see Thomas and Paton and then bypass the rest. Understandable from the outside given how garbage we were under Veldman but the current issue with the first 11 isn’t the actual quality of it, it’s just the numbers and quality in reserve for when the inevitable injuries/suspensions occur. Guys like Thomson, ferrie, Scott, Welsh, Wilson and Savoury are all excellent players at this level and would get in a lot of teams.

But if things don’t change at all in terms of incomings, you’d be daft not to put us 10th 

Edited by qpfc

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

QPWFC listed the teamlines and final score from their friendly today. Perfectly reasonable amount of detail for this type of game

You’d think it wouldn’t be too much to ask for the same for the game v Kilmarnock earlier today.

Disappointing and our silence  doesn't look great. However in fairness to the club there has been absolute silence from the Kilmarnock side too. I guess these things are agreed by both clubs and the no fans / reports could be at the request of Kilmarnock, who have changed their upcoming friendly with Auchinleck to closed door.

Edited by mcjameos

23 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Disappointing and our silence  doesn't look great. However in fairness to the club there has been absolute silence from the Kilmarnock side too. I guess these things are agreed by both clubs and the no fans / reports could be at the request of Kilmarnock, who have changed their upcoming friendly with Auchinleck to closed door.

Why would Kilmarnock care if we announced who played for us & the score?