The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 minute ago, starshot131 said:

A vague memory suggests it's "plus magnum et bonum"
I feel like we might need to rework that given I don't trust fans of other teams to treat "bonum" with respect

"Plus minima est minima"

Lesser is less

59 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Plans seem to still exist on the Glasgow City Council website for a 486 capacity south stand (Letherby Drive end). The current east stand is shown as having a capacity of 959 and with the ivory tower having 40 seats that would give us a capacity of around 1,500. Still not really big enough but enough to be going on with.

(see - https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=R3W6GEEXIL300)

There's a huge amount of wasted space on the west side of the ground and a fair amount of space at the north (Somerville Drive) end. The original (scrapped) plans for the West side of the ground had provision for 914 seats but this was abandoned for something "bigger and better" (https://queensparkfc.co.uk/bigger-and-better-for-lesser-hampden/)

These proposals for the South stand look decent enough. Add in temporary stands at Sommerville Drive then we are on the way to having a viable stadium. Not saying it would be straightforward but certainly not beyond the wit of man. 

57 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Plans seem to still exist on the Glasgow City Council website for a 486 capacity south stand (Letherby Drive end). The current east stand is shown as having a capacity of 959 and with the ivory tower having 40 seats that would give us a capacity of around 1,500. Still not really big enough but enough to be going on with.

(see - https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=R3W6GEEXIL300)

There's a huge amount of wasted space on the west side of the ground and a fair amount of space at the north (Somerville Drive) end. The original (scrapped) plans for the West side of the ground had provision for 914 seats but this was abandoned for something "bigger and better" (https://queensparkfc.co.uk/bigger-and-better-for-lesser-hampden/)

If the club announced plans to get that finished then it would be a step in the right direction.

I’d even be slightly comforted by an announcement that plans are being re-drawn as the 1,500 is recognised as not being fit for purpose either. (Provided that a timeline is given for further updates on future proposals).

What is not acceptable is the status quo of silence.

I think its fair to suggest that a stadium of circa 4,000 (all seater or a mix with terracing) is what would be an acceptable outcome requiring no need to have games anywhere else even in the event of promotion to the top division. 

I’d be interested to know what the cost of getting the current site up to that circa 4,000 would be. If there are indicative costs then at the very least it gives a ballpark figure that its understood would need to be found to put any plans into fruition. Reading a couple of reports regarding Ayr’s new stand that seemingly cost between £2m-£3m and has been underwritten by the clubs chairman. If that gives us an idea of what is needed then its a starting point.

14 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Add in temporary stands at Sommerville Drive then we are on the way to having a viable stadium

There's no way Lesser can ever be a proper football stadium as long as that royal box is still standing there. I have absolutely no clue how the club could get planning permission to build something like this in the first place. We can start talking about a rebuild only after the club admits and acknowledges this huge f**k-up and demolishes it. 

This will never happen so I have completely given up hope on watching Queen's Park at Lesser for an entire season. Hampden will be our home ground as long as the deal with the SFA works and when/if the deal is off, we'll find another place but it will never be Lesser. 

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

image.jpeg.956881d4bb0ea4679338019c3f94b466.jpeg

Queen's Park - Maior et Melior

Wtf is this?! It's even worse than what I' expect! Does the Darth Vader theme starts playing when you pass through the doors?

So much potential wasted since the vote, hopefully someone starts thinking in a more professional way and stop living / working / thinking of the club as still an amateur place.

4 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Why not just own this and give regular full, frank, humble updates instead of the classic ‘we know best - keep them in the dark untiL the last minute’ routine.

«harrumphs & splutters like an octogenarian Major-General»

THAT, sir, is not The Queen's Park Way.

34 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

There's no way Lesser can ever be a proper football stadium as long as that royal box is still standing there.

I don't disagree that sentiment but we can make it a functional stadium.

There are plenty of other quirky grounds around Scotland with unconventional layouts: New Douglas Park and Starks Park spring to mind. I don't like either of them to be honest but at least their fans can watch their team there.  So from my perspective, starting out with a South Stand and temporary North stand could be a stepping stone towards a redeveloped west side.  It would likely take years and we would have to put up with staring at Darth Vader's garden office every game but it would at least remove the current frustrations and uncertainties which really beginning to grate. 

A journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step etc...

15 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I don't disagree that sentiment but we can make it a functional stadium.

There are plenty of other quirky grounds around Scotland with unconventional layouts: New Douglas Park and Starks Park spring to mind. I don't like either of them to be honest but at least their fans can watch their team there.  So from my perspective, starting out with a South Stand and temporary North stand could be a stepping stone towards a redeveloped west side.  It would likely take years and we would have to put up with staring at Darth Vader's garden office every game but it would at least remove the current frustrations and uncertainties which really beginning to grate. 

A journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step etc...

I agree, but for me there is a faster way... taking that monstroucity down and building a similar stand from across the field.

The north and south stands should be a second phase of development, the first one is (to me) the east and west because it's central to the field of play, everyone sees the game better that way.

Can't demolish this magnificent edifice surely? The great and the good might have to sit near yer actual fans.

image.jpeg.257597cd7fb1ea633094d23702e57fee.jpeg

Edited - to build a West Stand as proposed in the original plan for Lesser we would also have to demolish the changing rooms which currently jut out from the pavilion and partially block sight lines to the north.

Edited by Spidersmad

That stand is a fucking disgrace. For Lord Whatsit and chums exclusive use I take it?

Somebody should torch it.

Edited by Enigma

2 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but that stand, and the thinking behind it, is really unacceptable behaviour from the owner/benefactor/whoever made the decision.

How could anyone with any interest in football or Queens Park look at the plans for that stand and say “that’s what we need”.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but that stand, and the thinking behind it, is really unacceptable behaviour from the owner/benefactor/whoever made the decision.

How could anyone with any interest in football or Queens Park look at the plans for that stand and say “that’s what we need”.

I understand the thinking was that the club would make more money using the hospitality facilities Monday to Friday all year round than filling an away stand twice a month during the football season.  I'd be interested to see if that stands up to scrutiny.

3 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I understand the thinking was that the club would make more money using the hospitality facilities Monday to Friday all year round than filling an away stand twice a month during the football season.  I'd be interested to see if that stands up to scrutiny.

Yeah  - I have heard that argued & frankly it does not stand up to the slightest scrutiny. You can build hospitality into a stand (see Ayr United) & have the best of both worlds.

2 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I mean, you could have technically had the best of both those options via a stand that looks like it belongs in a modern football ground.

A stand that runs the length of the pitch, with good hospitality facilities and an adequate number of seats for a Championship-level club, really shouldn’t be too much to ask.

23 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Can't demolish this magnificent edifice surely? The great and the good might have to sit near yer actual fans.

Edited - to build a West Stand as proposed in the original plan for Lesser we would also have to demolish the changing rooms which currently jut out from the pavilion and partially block sight lines to the north.

I don’t think there would be any requirement to demolish the changing rooms rather it complicates building a stand over them (likely with a requirement not to block the view from the pavilion). So i would suggest its not impossible but certainly looks like previous decisions have made it very difficult.

i say all this having zero qualifications in the building trade so take anything I say with the pinch of salt it deserves.

the original south stand plan looks fine to me. A further plan of a north stand would be the logical next step after that in my opinion.

I wonder if anyone knows if there were historical objections from Summerville drive residents previously to anything being built on that side? I seen to remember talk of a stand that incorporates some sort of hotel function etc.

25 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

That is the crux of the problem. J B McAlpine building needs demolished, It is entirely in the wrong place in retrospect. It needs moved to the north end somewhere. Royal Box to be blown up and then we have potential for a tidy three sides and small terracing on the north end beside the new pavilion.

I'm sure I posted this at some point last season but it's perfectly possible to build a decent 5,000 capacity ground within the footprint at Lesser.

You'd need to get rid of the ridiculous directors box obviously and probably relocate the changing rooms 

Screenshot2022-12-21at13_37_54.thumb.png.498b428b9a94259176d5cf5936dd6cb5.png

43 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

This has always reminded me of a stand at a medieval jousting tournament where the Royals would sit  in a film.

it’ll come down to money but they could probably build around whatever the f**k that is. 
There are a load of mad stadiums in towns and cities across Europe, where they have adapted grounds despite being surrounded by tenement style buildings. 

3 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

What the actual f*** is that?! I'd be absolutely livid. Grotesque waste of money and looks totally ridiculous. Imagine have that kind of money and doing this with it.