Champions League 2022/23

Coooombe

I didn’t want City to win and I thought the game was absolutely awful but after having a brief scroll through Twitter after it was done there is a small part of me that is happy about it, the collective heads gone about how the fans celebrated is absolutely pathetic. Jack from Barnsley is furious cause they weren’t enthusiastic enough meanwhile he and thousands of others are spending their Saturday night sat on their phones analysing every last detail of the celebrations so they can win some fan points from randoms online. 

Fell asleep at half time. Woke up to see the score. Looks like I didn't miss much. I'm happy for the guys I know from Greenock who have been going up and down to watch Man City for years, well before the oil money but as many  have said football is fucked. It's turned into some razzmatazz global Americanised telethon where the richest  of rich bid on a team get to pose with a half and half scarf and a pie  for as little as £10,000,000,000 investment . It's even spread to non leauge football with Wrexham. It's mental when you see Brighton preparing a £40 m bid for a Chelsea reserve or  N'golo Kante supposedly getting £86m a season to go play in the desert. 

That’s 4 finals in a row that have been similar pish and decided on a single goal in normal time. 2019 was the first final since at least 2003, 17 and 18 were half decent and then you’re going back til 2005 until there was an actual thriller served up. I don’t know why I get so geared up for it.

57 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Some of them look genuinely happy at least. Some of them....

I’m sorry but that is embarrassing. It’s like their celebration when they went 1-0 Up against Sheffield united in the fa cup semi.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

That’s 4 finals in a row that have been similar pish and decided on a single goal in normal time. 2019 was the first final since at least 2003, 17 and 18 were half decent and then you’re going back til 2005 until there was an actual thriller served up. I don’t know why I get so geared up for it.

Yep, the European Cup/Champions League Final is nearly always shite.

Man City were sensational against Leipzig, Munich and Madrid but those performances were at the The Etihad. Away from home it’s been 1-1 draws, so you suspected it would be a close game in Istanbul.

9 hours ago, Michael W said:

Many of the competitors were also financially crippled and were frankly never signing him. Their Qatari rivals at PSG might have had a shot, but they went and gave Mbappe the daft money instead. 

No-one could realistically compete with City, unfortunately. Which ruined the proud record of failure in the CL from the follicly-challenged fraud. 

No one could compete with City? Inter Milan competed quite well with them just last night.

It’s not like Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and the likes haven’t been buying/signing anyone good.

I thought city would win 2 or 3 nil. Inter were solid and the better team in first half, I don’t think city won because they have better players or were playing any better they just got the break of it and managed to grind it out which is often how you go about winning trophies.  I’m not so concerned about the gulf between city and anyone else based on their last 2 finals. 

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

No one could compete with City? Inter Milan competed quite well with them just last night.

It’s not like Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and the likes haven’t been buying/signing anyone good.

20230610_230735.thumb.jpg.bc426aa14be91dba3cfa07a1e84f42ba.jpg

MaN CiTy ArE rUiNiNg FoOtBaLl - wOuLdN't SeE fErGiE dO tHaT

11 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

“The greatest story in club history has an ending” aye okay :lol:

That was a WTF from me too, but on reflection I'll cut Darren Fletcher some slack as I think he was referring to the singular club.

34 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

20230610_230735.thumb.jpg.bc426aa14be91dba3cfa07a1e84f42ba.jpg

MaN CiTy ArE rUiNiNg FoOtBaLl - wOuLdN't SeE fErGiE dO tHaT

Ah yes, who can forget Chris Sutton’s 82 million pound transfer to Chelsea. Also, Alan Shearer cost Blackburn 3.5 million or something like that, not 91 million. If this inflation calculator is correct, Aberdeen signed Duncan Shearer that same summer for a mere 19 million (adjusted for inflation).  Celtic, meanwhile, were signing Stuart Slater for 38 million. 

Presumably those inflation figures are football-specific, as in based around the average or mean transfer fees paid today, as they're absolutely wild in terms of actual monetary inflation.

Shearer's fee in 1996 would be roughly double that now with normal adjustment for inflation.

14 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Presumably those inflation figures are football-specific, as in based around the average or mean transfer fees paid today, as they're absolutely wild in terms of actual monetary inflation.

Shearer's fee in 1996 would be roughly double that now with normal adjustment for inflation.

Ach it's good to know Killie would now sell Jim McIntyre to Reading for £8m.

Back in the day, Rangers must have been cheating a fair bit when they were trying to sign Schevchenko, and signed Tore Andre Flo for £12m. What is that on the Inflationometer?

Cheating hoors. Now them and Celtic just cheat a wee bit by having way more money than everyone else.

25 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Yes, so they need taken with a mound of salt.

Some folk just believe any old pish The Athletic shite out.