Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

Ah right so they couldn't get any leeway regarding relegation. That's that theory oot the window then. 

What I feel @FairWeatherFan is saying is the 2 setups are different. League 2 is one part of a 4 league setup, so dont have autonomy on decision making; whereas LL land is a standalone entity of 16, same as HL in North, who seem to make it up as they go along.

The issue at play here includes a very large dose of "It's our league".  There are some involved in the LL who are resentful that "Junior clubs" are gatecrashing "their" league.  These upstarts have only been in the Pyramid five minutes and here they are demanding more promotion spots, how very dare they.

That sort of thinking circulates in the LL, make no mistake. 

The clubs that set-up the LL (and credit to them for doing it) seem to believe they have some sort of self-entitlement to cling on grimly to it, despite knowing they're strangling progression.  Not all of them, but a significant chunk.

Just like the old Junior mentality had to be blown away for the game to progress, the old Senior non-league mentality also needs the same treatment. It will eventually.

^^^some people on here were trying to explain this issue to him years ago and were met with a barrage of abuse for doing so.

Meanwhile whoever handles the LL twitter doesn't appear to understand the league's rulebook:

Spartans are already champions because guest teams are not able to be even if they finish with the most points. Or maybe I am missing something?

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^some people on here were trying to explain this issue to him years ago and were met with a barrage of abuse for doing so.

Meanwhile whoever handles the LL twitter doesn't appear to understand the league's rulebook:

Spartans are already champions because guest teams are not able to be even if they finish with the most points. Or maybe I am missing something?

I thought it was said at the start of the season that if a B team finished top, they would be deemed league winners (for all that is worth to them), but were obviously ineligible for the play offs.

My understanding was that it is the club that is declared champion that gets into the playoffs:

https://spfl.co.uk/pages/rules-and-regulations

“SLFL Champion” means the club playing in the SLFL in any Season (excluding any
‘Guest’, ‘colt’, ‘B’ ‘second’, ‘reserve’ or like or equivalent team which is part of a Club
participating in the same Season in the SPFL and which shall not, under any
circumstances, be considered to be eligible to receive the title of SLFL Champion or

any other title related to its position in said league, or qualify for or be eligible for
participation in the Pyramid Play-Off Competition at the end of any such Season)
which is declared the Champion club of the SLFL based on the criteria specified in the
rules of the SLFL;

I would imagine the person running the Twitter account has taken the natural meaning of the word "champion" rather than what exists in the rulebook. It would be ludicrous to declare any club other than the club which finishes with the most points as champions of a division. If you don't want the "guest clubs" in that equation, don't include them in the table.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I would imagine the person running the Twitter account has taken the natural meaning of the word "champion" rather than what exists in the rulebook. It would be ludicrous to declare any club other than the club which finishes with the most points as champions of a division. If you don't want the "guest clubs" in that equation, don't include them in the table.

No one has really mentioned the championship being won since the weekend, including Spartans themselves. It has all been about the Pyramid Play-off place being won.

http://www.spartansfc.com/2023/04/12/lowland-league-the-cat-has-sights-set-on-title-winning-feline/

After securing their Pyramid Play-Off spot in last weekend’s win at Tranent, The Spartans will be looking to seal the Lowland League title this Saturday when they entertain Cowdenbeath at Ainslie Park.

In the penultimate game of the campaign, that begun in earnest last July, Dougie Samuel’s side head into the game against the Blue Brazil looking to top off a tremendous season with a victory that would see them lift the Lowland League trophy for a record third time.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Who was that, because it certainly wasn't you Einstein, you were too busy spouting your usual pish 🙄

Glad to see I'm still living rent free in your head though 🤣

Edited by Burnieman

Was at St.Marys in Kirkcudbright where Dalbeattie were the visitors in the South Counties Cup.

Dear God they are a dreadful outfit with not one sign of quality, learned something which took my breath away. Dalbeattie at Tier 5 train once a week on Wednesdays unless they have a midweek game then dont train at all.

Please tell me that isn't the norm. 

It's just as well I watch different teams whenever I can because watching that every week would make me choose another sport to follow. 

I cannot reiterate enough how poor they were in every aspect of the game.

20 hours ago, Ginaro said:

H3 e) "The position of Guest Clubs will be disregarded when deciding final league positions. Specifically, a Guest Club shall not be the Champion Club." 

https://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/slfl-rules-v20.pdf

Not even open for debate then that Spartans are already Champions so people linked with the league talking up any other scenario are just trying to camoflague how abnormal things are with the guest clubs on board.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

17 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Was at St.Marys in Kirkcudbright where Dalbeattie were the visitors in the South Counties Cup.

Dear God they are a dreadful outfit with not one sign of quality, learned something which took my breath away. Dalbeattie at Tier 5 train once a week on Wednesdays unless they have a midweek game then dont train at all.

Please tell me that isn't the norm. 

It's just as well I watch different teams whenever I can because watching that every week would make me choose another sport to follow. 

I cannot reiterate enough how poor they were in every aspect of the game.

I would imagine the other clubs train 2 nights a week we certainly do.

Just thought that would be the normal.

38 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I would imagine the other clubs train 2 nights a week we certainly do.

Just thought that would be the normal.

There are some clubs in the pyramid who have put in a fitness night at a gym on top of the two nights.

Really shocking that Dalbeattie only do the 1 training session, no surprise how poor they have been then and what  l witnessed last night.

11 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

There are some clubs in the pyramid who have put in a fitness night at a gym on top of the two nights.

Really shocking that Dalbeattie only do the 1 training session, no surprise how poor they have been then and what  l witnessed last night.

Aye they were really poor against us. Shows how bad the SOS is if they are beating sides from there in the cup.

Chris Ewing of Caledonian Braves got interviewed on The Price of Football podcast,  released on Friday. Figured that'd be of interest to a few on here.

Long story short is there's about 800 folk stumping up to be part of the project, but he's mostly funding it himself.

He dumbed down the geography for his English interviewers, and some of what he said struck me as wishful thinking at best. Could be an interesting insight.

Edited by morrison

Excellent that The Spartans have won this mongrel of a league and can rightly be called champions. Coming in behind a B team and being thrust forward into the play offs wouldn't make anyone "champions" irrespective of what the rules might say. With the extension of this marvelous B team experience, we could potentially have the team finishing fourth being declared "champions" next year. Nah, they're not.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

To LL land clubs;

Do you have any idea there is a vibrant setup in the Tiers below you. It is full of forward thinking clubs who will bring a sense of inclusion, excitement and diversity into your league.

Stop looking up at what you will never attain. You act like relegation is being sent into a deep, dark cave. You do realise that if you have an open policy to promotion/relegation you can go up as well as down.

Most of you will never achieve Tier 4 status open up and make Tiers 5 to 10, at the moment, what it should be. A free flowing, in both directions operation. Not this dripping tap you have created.

The Leagues below you should be your equal stop acting like some demented demi god.

See the bigger picture the future is open up to Tiers 6.