Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

I know they are friendlies however with the WoS sides being very much dominant over LL sides is this a sign of the distortion in the pyramid system? 

Surely better having a HL EoS and WoS league at tier 5 as opposed to none regionalised LL at tier 5? 

We know the WoS teams can compete against the best in the LL however teams that are in the LL how would they fair in the WoS? 

Your suggestion that we should have 3 leagues at tier 5, which might look good from a tier 6 comparison, simply would not be accepted.

Teams in Tier 4 would not be interested in dropping down to your suggested fragmented tier 5.

You can make all the suggestions you like about the relative comparisons of each league, but tier 4 teams want a single tier 5 league to drop into if they are unfortunate to lose the playoff.

Well the friendlies for most teams are complete and the Lowland League kicks off this weekend. HURRAH !!

Based on what you have seen recently what's your predictions for your team ?

Bo'ness United exceeded my expectations last season and finished third.  I expect a lower finish this season........probably 6th down to 10th.

Although they have kept almost the whole squad there were 3 key departures.   Musa the goalie, McArthur the defender and Dalziel the traditional number 9 are all a big loss because each of them was a potential game changer.  

Hopefully still a couple of signings and loan deals to do but presently we look weaker in goals, defensively, in the midfield and up front.   Hopefully Stuart Hunter can get the team performing and grind out the results.

Mon the BU's !!!

2 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Well the friendlies for most teams are complete and the Lowland League kicks off this weekend. HURRAH !!

Bo'ness United exceeded my expectations last season and finished third.  I expect a lower finish this season........probably 6th down to 10th.

Although they have kept almost the whole squad there were 3 key departures.   Musa the goalie, McArthur the defender and Dalziel the traditional number 9 are all a big loss because each of them was a potential game changer.  

Hopefully still a couple of signings and loan deals to do but presently we look weaker in goals, defensively, in the midfield and up front.   Hopefully Stuart Hunter can get the team performing and grind out the results.

Mon the BU's !!!

Would hope for a challenge around the top of the league. Realistically expecting top 3/4 with the squad we've got.

Finished 13th last year so an improvement on that would be a plus, obviously as far away from the relegation zone as possible. Just lost Harris to a nasty injury so hoping to get him replaced and a few other signed. But I'm cautiously optimistic this year. Its a good squad with some great young additions. Managers 1st full season in charge. Would love top 5 but guessing we'll end up between 5th and 10th.

I think it will be a relegation scrap between Gala and Gretna this year but many have said Gretna have recruited well. Broomhill have lost a lot of players but also brought in plenty. Don't wish relegation on any club but its part of football. The Lowland is definitely getting a more competitive league.

7 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Mon the BU's !!!

Sound's like you've got a tough choice: push the boat out to try and compete at the top end of the league, or hope you underperform enough that your mediocrity results in a Challenge Cup invitation.

Debut season for us, so looking to enjoy it against some new teams. It was a pretty successful preseason minus the humbling/reality check of the hammering from Bonnyrigg.

Definitely the top 5 or so teams are gonna be a good bit ahead of us, but I'd like to see us be competitive against them when we play. 

On the other side, the few teams that have been consistently near the bottom I'm confident we'll be comfortably clear of. So it's where we fit into that space in between - I think we should be top half, but I think this is all about finding our place to build from.

Our front line should be able to continue their good scoring record, but I'm still worried about us at the back... we conceded quite consistently last season and I can see the same issues going into this season. 

On 15/07/2024 at 09:37, FairWeatherFan said:

Am I missing some pre-season friendlies between LL & West teams or something? Because I was expecting something embarassing for you to jump in with this usual line, and the only thing that qualifies is Gretna beating St Cadoc's. A team some people are touting for the Premier title.

Albion Rovers 2-1 Cumbernauld United
Gartcairn 2-3 Albion Rovers
Bo'ness United 1-4 Clydebank
Bo'ness United 0-3 Pollok
Broomhill 3-3 Johnstone Burgh
Largs Thistle 2-1 Broomhill
Cumbernauld Colts 3-0 Darvel
Gretna 2008 3-1 Lesmahagow
Gretna 2008 2-0 St Cadoc's
Linlithgow Rose 5-1 Hurlford United
Linlithgow Rose 2-2 Cumnock
Tranent 3-5 Pollok
Auchinleck Talbot 2-0 Tranent

Leaving LL teams without any fixtures against West teams.

Berwick Rangers
Broxburn Athletic
Caledonian Braves
Civil Service Strollers
Cowdenbeath
East Kilbride
East Stirlingshire
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Stirling University

Add. Shotts Bon Accord 1-3 Cowdenbeath 

On 15/07/2024 at 09:01, leaguereformer said:

I know they are friendlies however with the WoS sides being very much dominant over LL sides is this a sign of the distortion in the pyramid system? 

Surely better having a HL EoS and WoS league at tier 5 as opposed to none regionalised LL at tier 5? 

We know the WoS teams can compete against the best in the LL however teams that are in the LL how would they fair in the WoS? 

Surely if these clubs are so much better on the pitch it shouldnt be too much bother to make the effort that basically all of the top EOS league not to mention a bunch further down it have made to get licensed then? Honestly embarrassing that its been a good few years since the idea of the WOS being a tier 5 league was rightfully laughed at and folk are still at this. Get with the times, non league isnt a petty fief of the West of Scotland any more and is all the better for it

I'm not confident at all about east Kilbride this season.

I reckon 3rd or 4th place.

I think a lot of teams have figured us out and how we play, with our inability to change that when things are going against us other teams will be right up for it.

8 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I think a lot of teams have figured us out and how we play, with our inability to change that when things are going against us other teams will be right up for it.

There is nowhere near the level of opposition in the league compared to what you have faced in the cup. 

Just now, To B or not B said:

There is nowhere near the level of opposition in the league compared to what you have faced in the cup. 

Mate, you've not seen us. Slow in possession. Schoolboy errors and a goalkeeper that must have been last picked at school.

Just now, Oystercatcher said:

Mate, you've not seen us. Slow in possession. Schoolboy errors and a goalkeeper that must have been last picked at school.

To be fair I haven’t seen them, so I will go on what you are saying. I did call the GK situation last week, I’ve seen him before, and he is not the answer for EK.

2 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

To be fair I haven’t seen them, so I will go on what you are saying. I did call the GK situation last week, I’ve seen him before, and he is not the answer for EK.

I said on our forum that I think he belongs in 5 a side goals.

He doesn't command the area at all and has more flaps than an aeroplane wing. Honestly, you should have seen him tonight.

If everyone in the stands can see it surely the powers that be can.

Our discipline is also suspect and it stems from the wee neds we have in our management.

49 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I said on our forum that I think he belongs in 5 a side goals.

He doesn't command the area at all and has more flaps than an aeroplane wing. Honestly, you should have seen him tonight.

If everyone in the stands can see it surely the powers that be can.

Our discipline is also suspect and it stems from the wee neds we have in our management.

The biggest Ned is the GK coach. I hope he got hammered after his antics and red card v Stranraer. The guy is a thug and not much good at coaching GKs going by previous posts.

15 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Even with a poor season I’d be surprised if two teams would be consistent enough to finish above EK this season. Outwith the B teams anyway.

Apparently Hearts' B team have signed Jamie MacDonald (38) on for a season. Another young prospective starlet getting their invaluable pathway to top flight/international football is it?

15 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

The biggest Ned is the GK coach. I hope he got hammered after his antics and red card v Stranraer. The guy is a thug and not much good at coaching GKs going by previous posts.

Yeah the guy is a dafty who thinks he's a hero

Edited by Chris_the_rover