Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

12 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its a problem across the non-league at the moment. SJFA, SCC, WoSFL, and Lowland seem to have all set their finals at Broadwood for the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know why Windywood has become the defacto ground for non league finals. 

It's a total nightmare; location, transport, facilities inside and outside ground, and of course weather. You do get a decent view of the pitch from anywhere if I recall correctly.

I speak as someone who lived in Cumbie for 20+ years and know Windywood intimately.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ainslie Park has no terracing at all and no covered space for standing. They allow people to stand at the rail and block the view from the front rows of the main stand. There are floodlight pillars in front of the other stand. The pitch is fine but it's not great. It's nowhere near a train station and it's a schlep on the bus from the centre of Edinburgh. There are no good pubs anywhere near it.

Each to their own, but for me it's a long way down my list of preferred grounds. In Edinburgh I'd put it well behind Meggetland, which has hosted a South Challenge Cup final.

They don't actually.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

They don't actually.

Witnessed it every time I’ve went, not directly in front of the stand but from immediately in line with it, this means anything on the near side touchline in the final third gets blocked. They should have a decent buffer zone to prevent that sightline being blocked.

Worst if your in the older stand is the general set up encourages everyone to walk in front of it constantly as the most obvious facilities are all in one corner.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Witnessed it every time I’ve went, not directly in front of the stand but from immediately in line with it, this means anything on the near side touchline in the final third gets blocked. They should have a decent buffer zone to prevent that sightline being blocked.

Worst if your in the older stand is the general set up encourages everyone to walk in front of it constantly as the most obvious facilities are all in one corner.

Not this season at Spartans and Hearts B games, they have barriers either end of the stand and stewards won't allow you to stand within them.  Never had an issue seeing what's going on in the bottom corner nearest the building although have never sat in the front row, maybe right by the corner flag is partially obscured, but it's not a biggie.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't see how you could possibly claim to know either way from this video.

Try slowing it down, using pause, and opening your eyes.

There's simply no way you can tell from that angle, even with the freezeframe. Think about that Japan goal against Spain at the World Cup, where nobody could possibly believe the ball was still in play until it turned out it was.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's simply no way you can tell from that angle, even with the freezeframe. Think about that Japan goal against Spain at the World Cup, where nobody could possibly believe the ball was still in play until it turned out it was.

It's around 2 foot over the line, not even close. 

Css.jpg

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

They don't actually.

At Hearts B v Linlithgow Rose earlier this season you couldn't see substantial slices in the nearside corners because of people standing. I haven't been at a Spartans game since Linlithgow Rose won there in a cup tie a few years ago, and it was the same then.

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

At Hearts B v Linlithgow Rose earlier this season you couldn't see substantial slices in the nearside corners because of people standing. I haven't been at a Spartans game since Linlithgow Rose won there in a cup tie a few years ago, and it was the same then.

Yeah the problem is the barrier is maybe 10 foot outside the footprint of the seats and you need to give people room to stand as well.   I guess they could cordon the whole area off and shove people round to the other stand, although for Spartans games that's normally the away area.

Edited by Burnieman

7 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Yeah the problem is the barrier is maybe 10 foot outside the footprint of the seats and you need to give people room to stand as well.   I guess they could cordon the whole area off and shove people round to the other stand, although for Spartans games that's normally the away area.

They should have built a stand with more elevation.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

Agree.  These modular stands are great for getting seats into place quickly and reasonably cost effective but a lot of them could be doing with going on a plinth/platform so the front row isn't staring at the pitshside barrier.

Just now, Burnieman said:

Agree.  These modular stands are great for getting seats into place quickly and reasonably cost effective but a lot of them could be doing with going on a plinth/platform so the front row isn't staring at the pitshside barrier.

Suppose it was alright when it opened and they were in the EOS but now their in the SPFL they should be looking at some thing bettter.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I think the addition of a weight supporting plinth, steps etc would kinda kill the appeal of these. Bound to add a fair bit of cost.

It's not a terrible stand really and things could be made more workable.

1. provide terracing behind at least one goal,  and possibly at north west side of the ground. That removes the need to provide any standing on the east side. 

2. Build a walkway behind the stand.

3. provide facilities right round the pitch, especially on north side.

You just need to look at new central park on how to turn a old non-league ground into being SPFL appropriate.

Edited by parsforlife

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

I think the addition of a weight supporting plinth, steps etc would kinda kill the appeal of these. Bound to add a fair bit of cost.

It's not a terrible stand really and things could me made more workable.

1. provide terracing behind at least one goal,  and possibly at north west side of the ground. That removes the need to provide any standing on the east side. 

2. Build a walkway behind the stand.

3. provide facilities right round the pitch, especially on north side.

You just need to look at new central park on how to turn a old non-league ground into being SPFL appropriate.

Yeah agree with that, although you can already walk behind the "main" stand, that's where the toilets are and accessible from both ends.   Terracing at the north end and down the side to halfway would be enough for Spartans really and as you say, stick in toilets and maybe another pie hut open for bigger away supports.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

That or nearer the pitch, it's set quite far back, meaning unless they're down in the corners, anyone standing against the rail is blocking the view for those at the front. Not ideal for those with limited mobility in particular.

It's not a bad stand or a bad ground, I just think there are better options.

20230901_201223.jpg

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That or nearer the pitch, it's set quite far back, meaning unless they're down in the corners, anyone standing against the rail is blocking the view for those at the front. Not ideal for those with limited mobility in particular.

20230901_201223.jpg

Aye it would have helped being closer to the pitch.

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

20230901_201223.jpg

They could probably shove it 6-8 foot closer and widen the walkway at the rear.  Probably cost more than it's worth doing.