Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, 30 league games is standard in the EoS and WoS and is the SFA's preferred size for non-league. The LL had 16 members from 2015-16 until the B teams were added in 2021-22, though they ran with one extra in 2020-21 because the didn't want to relegate anyone in the Covid season.

Yes but for ex-SPFL clubs it is way too few games to constitute a proper season - and filling the gaps with miscellaneous cups has little attraction 

39 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes but for ex-SPFL clubs it is way too few games to constitute a proper season - and filling the gaps with miscellaneous cups has little attraction 

As opposed to filling it with games against rancid B team outfits which you were all over instead. 

B4B69545-A189-453C-97FC-1DCCF933CE23.png.7604d4bf06687ba0612974bc06b69402.png

Edited by vikingTON

42 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yeah, I agree. I think 34 is the right number of games for the lowest tier with a requirement for floodlights, bridging between the three regional leagues and the SPFL. I'd rather play 30 than play the B teams though. And 18 teams with one-third of a promotion place and 0-2 relegation places gives a pretty stale mid-table.

On 17/04/2024 at 19:25, Brazilianlex said:

Cowdenbeath had 8 scheduled Lowland League midweek fixtures this season, even before postponements kicked in. I assume other teams would have similar.
League games should be played on Saturdays and punt all these cup games into midweek. 

Cowdenbeath were in the SPFL League Cup which took up the first two LL matchdays.

Playing SCC or EOSQC cup games midweek doesn't work when you have a team without floodlights or you're playing a club from Ayrshire for example.

Automatic relegation for club 42 (frees up two weeks) and automatic promotion for tier 6 winners would help solve fixture issues for non-league clubs while keeping an 18 team league competitive.

24 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, I agree. I think 34 is the right number of games for the lowest tier with a requirement for floodlights, bridging between the three regional leagues and the SPFL. I'd rather play 30 than play the B teams though. And 18 teams with one-third of a promotion place and 0-2 relegation places gives a pretty stale mid-table.

Would be happy with 18 real clubs with one down and 2nd bottom in play off with the 3 champions.  Thus 2 potentially could come up

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

And Buckie, Brechin and Fraserburgh. The HL always seems to deliver a great finale.

Generally what happens when you don’t have one team outspending the others.

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Big day for Gretna or Edinburgh University. 

Probably no more than a temporary reprieve Oystercatcher. When the Highland League champions beat club 42 in the playoff both teams will end up going down. 

Hopefully !!

#ABEK

30 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Probably no more than a temporary reprieve Oystercatcher. When the Highland League champions beat club 42 in the playoff both teams will end up going down. 

Hopefully !!

#ABEK

Personally I would prefer if EK went up it would make the top end of our league more even.

58 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Hopefully !!

#ABEK

I honestly don't think it'll be east kilbride going up so your veiled dig doesn't bother me 😂

22 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I honestly don't think it'll be east kilbride going up so your veiled dig doesn't bother me 😂

You can't blame a man for trying.

Enjoy your game v The Belters today. They will be well up for it.

On 18/04/2024 at 22:30, Cowden Cowboy said:

Would be happy with 18 real clubs with one down and 2nd bottom in play off with the 3 champions.  Thus 2 potentially could come up

One team in 18 down is not enough. The one in 16 proper teams the LL has just now isn't enough.

It'd be better than at present obviously, mind you.

Forfar and Elgin are safe from relegation, so Edinburgh University are relegated.

Gretna goes down if Buckie Thistle can defeat both EK and the bottom side from League 2.