Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

image.png.5429789b9a360f238f4224824cbff9ad.png

I would have said even 300ish was good for a final with EK in it and played at Broadwood. Doubling it's not too bad by LL standards. Its just a shame its in a ground ten times the size.

Considering it was on the same day as the arse cheeks derby it’s not too bad.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Well to be honest I would have been going but you have an old firm game on and then Liverpool v Man Utd game on the same day and the wind is still mental outside.  It would have been so different if those games were not on

Which is fine for a neutral but EK sold out a game against Hamilton earlier this season so for them to not show up now is poor 

It was an even game, but heavily influenced by the wind. 

Tranent had the better of the first half with the wind at their backs and East Kilbride the second.  Tranent's opener came from an in-swinging corner with Brett forcing it over the line at the back post. Balde's equaliser had an element of doubt about whether or not it crossed the line after coming off the underside of the crossbar, but it was a good strike from the edge of the box.  No doubt about EK's second from Lockie though. It was a great strike from 25 yards into the postage stamp corner.  Higginbotham's equaliser for Tranent had a bit of good fortune about it. His free kick from the left was poorly struck and hit the single defender in front of him, but the rebound came straight back to him and his cross cum shot dipped just under the bar at the far post. 

Cammy Ross should have won it in the final seconds of stoppage time but shot wildly over when through on goal.

The less said about the quality of the penalties, the better. 7 misses out of 16 attempts.

Edited by Footballfirst

Just now, GordonS said:

627 in a ground with 8,000 seats is rubbish.

627 in a ground like Prestonfield or Cliftonhill is perfectly fine.

It was always a terrible choice of ground. 

Its a problem across the non-league at the moment. SJFA, SCC, WoSFL, and Lowland seem to have all set their finals at Broadwood for the foreseeable future.

6 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Which is fine for a neutral but EK sold out a game against Hamilton earlier this season so for them to not show up now is poor 

EK were only formed 14 years ago, they don't really have a loyal fan base yet. From what I've seen a lot of them are Celtic fans first and EK fans second, which is fair enough IMO.

10 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Sorry again, I'll disagree

Plenty of EK supporters going about but majority of those supporters will also follow Rangers or Celtic.
Same down in Ayrshire, Like Hurlford.   fans will also support either Ayr or Killie and they will also have a liking towards Gers or Celtcs

This is not intending to be negative with you but you need to be objective and realistic in your comments

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its a problem across the non-league at the moment. SJFA, SCC, WoSFL, and Lowland seem to have all set their finals at Broadwood for the foreseeable future.

Junior Cup finals can still draw a big crowd. St Mirren or Ayr would be my first choices for those but I understand why they pick Broadwood, at least they're going to need 2 or 3 stands. A Lowland League Cup final is never getting more than about 1,000 unless it's something like Linlithgow Rose v Bo'ness. Rose played Tranent in the EoS League Cup final at Newtongrange the season before last and I doubt that hit 4 figures.

4 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Utterly abysmal crowd for a cup final 

Maybe play it somewhere that isn't totally soulless&awful to get to by public transport.i was in Glasgow today&would normally go to something like this but as soon as I saw where it was being played I decided against it

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Why?

Congratulations to Tranent. Horrible conditions for a cup final, but both teams did about as well as they could. Wind getting an assist for 3 of the 4 goals. 

Penalties were borderline farcial due to the wind... but definitely dramatic and entertaining. 

20240407_171657.jpg

43 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

The capacity of K-Park is about 700. I expect that day there were about 550 Hamilton fans as it’s a couple of miles away.

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Yeah, 583.  the ground only holds 600......

5 hours ago, To B or not B said:

Ainslie Park is the ideal venue for finals.

Ainslie Park has no terracing at all and no covered space for standing. They allow people to stand at the rail and block the view from the front rows of the main stand. There are floodlight pillars in front of the other stand. The pitch is fine but it's not great. It's nowhere near a train station and it's a schlep on the bus from the centre of Edinburgh. There are no good pubs anywhere near it.

Each to their own, but for me it's a long way down my list of preferred grounds. In Edinburgh I'd put it well behind Meggetland, which has hosted a South Challenge Cup final.