Broxburn Athletic

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Fourth bottom getting relegated is only possible if the West/South champions replace an East team in the LL. As Beith are unlicensed and the bottom LL team (Dalbeattie) are going south, that's pretty much ruled out. It's in theory still possible, but for that, all of the bottom will have to happen:

• Brechin beating Spartans and then Albion Rovers / Bonnyrigg in the play-offs
  • Abbey Vale to get no more than 2 points from their remaining 2 fixtures
  • Creetown winning their remaining league game & beating Linlithgow Rose in the play-offs.

In that case the EOS will have a net gain of 1 club (Edinburgh Uni down, nobody up). But it's even more likely for Ian Maxwell to suddenly get some sanity.

Aha! Makes sense!!! 99% confident of safety barring the unlikely, but not impossible, freak set of results! Cheers!

I'll still scream like mad for the points this weekend... just to be safe!

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Only if your judgement is so impaired as to actually think Brechin will overturn Spartans and then beat Albion Rovers/Bonnyrigg and Creetown overtake Abbey Vale and then beat Linlithgow... [inserts joke about wedding booze and shagging]... unlikely I'd suggest ;)?

I do feel more assured that the Brox shall be a Premier team next season!

Wedding booze and shagging you say... oh my! She's Asian. Her family and friends came over! Literally since the vows I've been a f*****g taxi driver/tour guide around the country for them all! Totally knackered... and not in the customary newly-wed way!

Hey Siri, define an end of season with nothing to play for performance with a patchwork side...

Well done Haddington. Looked a bit sharper, punished the mistakes at thd back from Broxburn.

Positives... great consolation goal from Gary Brass. And treated the wife to the hospitality which we both really enjoyed! Would recommend for anyone that hasn't experienced it.

Haddington 4 Broxburn 1?

What was that? So disinterested and people paid money to watch them.

Anyway, what a season. A load of signings, a 29 man squad, now downsized, Chris leaving, a new manager coming in, a few thumpings received and a few given out. Staring at relegation when at the start we where looking at top 3. It's been quite a story. Let's not repeat it.

Now i'm concerned  we're going to resign the same injured players and blame the injury list next season too.  On today's performance, we're needing to work on defence, passing the ball short distance, or maybe just controlling the ball, thinking of the first goal. Lots of work to be done next season 

21 minutes ago, albynpark said:

Haddington 4 Broxburn 1?

What was that? So disinterested and people paid money to watch them.

Anyway, what a season. A load of signings, a 29 man squad, now downsized, Chris leaving, a new manager coming in, a few thumpings received and a few given out. Staring at relegation when at the start we where looking at top 3. It's been quite a story. Let's not repeat it.

Now i'm concerned  we're going to resign the same injured players and blame the injury list next season too.  On today's performance, we're needing to work on defence, passing the ball short distance, or maybe just controlling the ball, thinking of the first goal. Lots of work to be done next season 

The first goal was just a bit of a calamitous disaster... and once it went in, there very much seemed a downing of tools... until Gary Brass came on... thought he actually looked pretty lively and took his goal well, fair play to him.

The defence really needs sorted. For the few games we had a fit Wright and Nimmo at the back, we looked pretty solid, but it didn't last. I do think there are goals in the team, so I really hope any strengthening is done at the back to ensure we have numbers that helps stop the cheap goals, of which there have been many!

Sooner the season is over the better. Horrible campaign but not surprised. Towner was a decent player but should never have got this season.

None of his close season signings have improved the team based on this season’s  performance save Errol since February. Standouts if any have been Brass, Binnie, Gillan. Bremner looks half decent but desperately need help.

No pace and get overrun by young fit teams - Haddington, Tynecastle, LTHV amongst others have shown this. 

Still be there next week and next season hoping for better. Mon the Brox 🇵🇱🇵🇱

12 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Sooner the season is over the better. Horrible campaign but not surprised. Towner was a decent player but should never have got this season.

None of his close season signings have improved the team based on this season’s  performance save Errol since February. Standouts if any have been Brass, Binnie, Gillan. Bremner looks half decent but desperately need help.

No pace and get overrun by young fit teams - Haddington, Tynecastle, LTHV amongst others have shown this. 

Still be there next week and next season hoping for better. Mon the Brox 🇵🇱🇵🇱

When Errol got a run if games playing up front he turned into exactly the sort of striker I'd hoped we'd signed in him! Keep him injury free, have enough cover in other areas so he's not playing half the season out of position and I'm pretty confident he'll be amongst league top scorers next season. 

This season just never quite got going. Other than yesterday, the last few weeks have looked better and the guys Pittman has brought in have looked decent. Be great if we could extend the Williamson loan deal... the few times I've seen him he's looked a player at this level. 

5 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

When Errol got a run if games playing up front he turned into exactly the sort of striker I'd hoped we'd signed in him! Keep him injury free, have enough cover in other areas so he's not playing half the season out of position and I'm pretty confident he'll be amongst league top scorers next season. 

This season just never quite got going. Other than yesterday, the last few weeks have looked better and the guys Pittman has brought in have looked decent. Be great if we could extend the Williamson loan deal... the few times I've seen him he's looked a player at this level. 

It’s a difficult one as Gary B has also played really well this season.  To fit the two in we need to go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. The first was an utter shambles any we played it. The other formation suited us better due to a lack of pace and fitness in midfield but didn’t do it often enough.

Interesting to see how next season goes but if we are not at it early relegation is a real possibility. The teams coming up are stronger than last year and there is no poor team dropping in from the Lowland this year.

Think we got off this year with having two sides so cast adrift. Defo won't be the case next season, so even if we get the same "consistency" as this season, I think we'll be away... so have to hit the ground running and maintain it.

Brass and Douglas consistently fit and playing together would likely terrify every side in the league... fingers crossed!

7 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Think we got off this year with having two sides so cast adrift. Defo won't be the case next season, so even if we get the same "consistency" as this season, I think we'll be away... so have to hit the ground running and maintain it.

Brass and Douglas consistently fit and playing together would likely terrify every side in the league... fingers crossed!

Very true. It’s the defence I’m more concerned with. The best back 5 at the start of the season was probably Donoghue (GK), Gillan (RB), Harrison & Wright (CB’s) and Donaldson (LB). 

Don’t think they even played one game together all season due to one thing or another. Only the 3 relegated sides conceded more than Broxburn.

7 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Very true. It’s the defence I’m more concerned with. The best back 5 at the start of the season was probably Donoghue (GK), Gillan (RB), Harrison & Wright (CB’s) and Donaldson (LB). 

Don’t think they even played one game together all season due to one thing or another. Only the 3 relegated sides conceded more than Broxburn.

Totally agree! Defence has creaked all season. Run of games with Nimmo and Wright together at the back looked solid, but then injuries kicked in again sharpish! If Nimmo, Wright and Harrison are there next season and can all stay clear if injury... they are a solid base to rotate. But given the way they all look like their bodies may break down, I'll have more comfort if a couple of solid, proven at this level, centre halves were signed. 

5 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Totally agree! Defence has creaked all season. Run of games with Nimmo and Wright together at the back looked solid, but then injuries kicked in again sharpish! If Nimmo, Wright and Harrison are there next season and can all stay clear if injury... they are a solid base to rotate. But given the way they all look like their bodies may break down, I'll have more comfort if a couple of solid, proven at this level, centre halves were signed. 

Centre halves have been our main problem. Harrison left, and looking how much slower he was getting, probably a good decision. Wright has never got match fit, picks up the worst injuries. Nimmo is injured a lot. Brad seems OK, but has been in and out a lot.  I'm hoping he has a good next season. But I just hope they sign players who aren't injury prone or coming back from injury.  A settled defence is key and who are available most the season. 

1 hour ago, albynpark said:

Centre halves have been our main problem. Harrison left, and looking how much slower he was getting, probably a good decision. Wright has never got match fit, picks up the worst injuries. Nimmo is injured a lot. Brad seems OK, but has been in and out a lot.  I'm hoping he has a good next season. But I just hope they sign players who aren't injury prone or coming back from injury.  A settled defence is key and who are available most the season. 

Acht aye, I'd forgotten Harrison had moved on! It probably was the right decision to let him go... but given the lack of replacement, I'd have been happy to keep him. The legs maybe didn’t have much left in them, but there was still a decent defender in there.

It's definitely the priority area to sort... and I'm all for 2 or 3 centre half new signings that don't come in need of a bupa plan!

10 hours ago, albynpark said:

I think Brad isn’t good enough now. Looks like there was a great defender there at one time but age has caught up with him. Drops 5 yards deeper which causes problems for the full backs. Left back has been a huge defensive issue with Gordon being out a lot. 

9 hours ago, Burnieman said:

How has Jack Sayers got on this season?

Decent. Plenty energy and had a couple of very good games. Is a little lightweight, but is just a laddie... and has been caught out position a few times, but that's more likely a symptom of being a young lad in a squad that's had no selection consistency. He's signed up for next season and I can only see him kicking on.

Good game, albeit Crossgates seemed to be struggling to get a team out, as you expect for a nothing to play for game, last game of the season. 

Player of the season? I would say Andy Gillen. Steady, reliable in every game he's played. Gary Brass 2nd.

12 minutes ago, albynpark said:

Good game, albeit Crossgates seemed to be struggling to get a team out, as you expect for a nothing to play for game, last game of the season. 

Player of the season? I would say Andy Gillen. Steady, reliable in every game he's played. Gary Brass 2nd.

Yes good performance today. Felt a bit for Crossgates as they were really hampered by injuries and ended up with 10 men. Gives me renewed optimism for next season 🤣🤣🤣.