Broxburn Athletic

On 14/04/2024 at 11:11, albynpark said:

We only need to win 3 off our 5 games if Mussleburgh win all theirs. So obviously we'll beat Dunbar and Jeanfield, lose the rest and Mussleburgh will drop points somewhere to win us the league. 

Aye, sounds good 😅

A great win over Dunbar last night, but best of all a much improved all round performance. 

Got away with one when Dunbar cracked what would have been a worldy off the bar just before the break when it was still 0-0. 2nd half we looked a bit more in control, but not creating too much until big Errol suddenly from almost nothing just flicked one in... well taken. After that we had a few good passages of play, but it wasn't until near the end that Jones smashed a shot from distance that was parried by the keeper nicely into the path of Miller to calmy pick a spot and head in before keeper could recover. Brilliant!

And then we collapsed a bit, tried to hang on, Dunbar started to overrun us and got a goal back making it a very nervy last couple of minutes... but job done and a vital 3 points bagged.

4 games to go and 2 wins needed to guarantee the league...

Yes, a great win last night at a place we have found very difficult in the last few years.

Always been impressed with Dunbar, play some really good stuff and last night was no different. 

Would have settled for a point but getting all three is brilliant. Need to now focus on another tricky away trip to Dundonald.

Getting close but not there yet, so keeping concentrated on the next game is vital.

A tight first half today with not a lot between the sides, but then what a start to the 2nd half it was. Looked untouchable as raced into a 3 goal lead. The way it was going it looked like we could have more. But then, just back from suspension, Greg Page is sent off and just takes a little bit of the shine off a great win. He really makes it far too easy for refs to book him.

Lads dug in well to see the game out. Dundonald got a phenomenal consolation with a freekick from about 25 yards... some hit. But it was too late to be of any concern.

3 points in the bag from a tough place to get points. Job done.

2 hours ago, albynpark said:

No wonder we never win a cup. 7 changes from the lineup that beat Dundonald. Let's hope we can learn not to keep making this mistake. Disrespect our opponents, win zero prizes.

I think outwith the normal starting 11 there are only a few more who add much to the team. To compete even at mid level in the Lowland league we need about 5-6 new players.  

1 hour ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

I think outwith the normal starting 11 there are only a few more who add much to the team. To compete even at mid level in the Lowland league we need about 5-6 new players.  

Having a big squad creates bad results like last night. Getting the balance is key. I would say we need 3 good lowland league players and letting go about 6 or 7. 

3 minutes ago, albynpark said:

We last won a cup in 1988! 

Let that sink in and then think it's ok to approach Tuesday night like we did!

It was the same a few weeks earlier against Inverkeithing when we lost a very winnable cup semifinal.

I thought at that point we could still Hibs the league but a good win at Dunbar coupled with Kinnoulls surprise win at Musselburgh took all the pressure off.

Will be good to be confirmed champions and that will make it a very good year but I still think it could have been a great year for the club and for the very hard working committee who put in endless hours.

4 hours ago, albynpark said:

We last won a cup in 1988! 

Let that sink in and then think it's ok to approach Tuesday night like we did!

It's pretty shocking, really.

That's two very winnable cup ties recently at home in two cups that we could have realistically aimed for winning. Fine, anyone can have an off day and be knocked out on the day, but it's the manner of both these defeats that sting.

3 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

It was the same a few weeks earlier against Inverkeithing when we lost a very winnable cup semifinal.

I thought at that point we could still Hibs the league but a good win at Dunbar coupled with Kinnoulls surprise win at Musselburgh took all the pressure off.

Will be good to be confirmed champions and that will make it a very good year but I still think it could have been a great year for the club and for the very hard working committee who put in endless hours.

Inverkeithing game should have been a lesson learned (even though it wasn't learned from the earlier league match with them) and that is what is so disappointing. 

The season, compared to last, has been phenomenal. And it is maybe harsh to overly criticise, but it had the potential to be so much more. Just been a lot of complacency creeping in, especially the last couple of months and last night at times it felt like we were trying to play an exhibition match.

What worries me more... if results at the weekend go our way and title is official... we then have two weeks of dead rubbers to take the foot of the gas... and then go into a playoff most likely against Dalbeattie Star who definitely will be up for it and not taking it lightly.

23 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

What worries me more... if results at the weekend go our way and title is official... we then have two weeks of dead rubbers to take the foot of the gas... and then go into a playoff most likely against Dalbeattie Star who definitely will be up for it and not taking it lightly.

That’s a really good point. I agree the season has been great for the most part and maybe the league was all that mattered. But winning is a mentality and you don’t just switch it on or off. We need to finish strong and be ready for the playoffs 

18 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Another thing to note is that the WOS Premier is not done and dusted yet and Auchinleck can catch Beith so they may well be in the playoff mix too.  I know we beat them in the cup but going down there would be a different proposition.

Literally just been studying the west league after tonights results. I think Beith have just about enough home games to get over the line, but if Auchinleck win it, then they are coming into a playoff full of momentum.

27 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Literally just been studying the west league after tonights results. I think Beith have just about enough home games to get over the line, but if Auchinleck win it, then they are coming into a playoff full of momentum.

Whats the play off dates and draw if its a South East & West playoff?