Broxburn Athletic

53 minutes ago, beaver watch said:

Only good thing I got from today was the fact that Broxburn didn't score more because we have been poor all season. Your correct about the transition as we had players playing out of position and they played like players playing out of position. We have been ghosting it this season with results but last Wednesday we were pummelled by Largs and won 1-0. Nobody in the Talbot contingent could believe the same team was put out against the East Coast league leaders.

Before the game I mentioned your number nine looked a real unit and to be honest he could have scored another three goals. But when your centre back is playing right back then the guy has the right to have all the room in the world. We had to replace 9 players at the beginning of the season, and it shows.

Anyway best team won and best of luck on your quest for the LL. 

Think we also had 9 new players from last season (where you hammered us 7-0) but fortunately for us most are an upgrade.  I think Talbot Will be back soon but as you say replacing 9 good players is always a tad more difficult than what we needed.

Good luck to Talbot for the rest of this season

We're underdogs for this tie according to the bookies. Hopefully the large support will help us.

How good is the social media been driving up the interest. Probably a jump of 3 times as many supporters than normal which is great. But had me thinking, how do the club's around us get the local community supporting them in these ties yet the Highland league teams don't seem to generate any extra interest! If this tie was reversed I think we'd take at least 4 buses up.

Safe travels to the Buckie fans who do make the trip

4 hours ago, albynpark said:

We're underdogs for this tie according to the bookies. Hopefully the large support will help us.

How good is the social media been driving up the interest. Probably a jump of 3 times as many supporters than normal which is great. But had me thinking, how do the club's around us get the local community supporting them in these ties yet the Highland league teams don't seem to generate any extra interest! If this tie was reversed I think we'd take at least 4 buses up.

Safe travels to the Buckie fans who do make the trip

I was at Bo'ness v Buckie several seasons ago and Buckie brought down 6 buses plus folk in their own cars........

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

I was at Bo'ness v Buckie several seasons ago and Buckie brought down 6 buses plus folk in their own cars........

Bo'ness must be a better draw, it must be us lol. That's amazing for that game considering the distance.  I think they only have 1 bus coming looking at their Facebook page. 

39 minutes ago, albynpark said:

Bo'ness must be a better draw, it must be us lol. That's amazing for that game considering the distance.  I think they only have 1 bus coming looking at their Facebook page. 

Maybe saving their money for the next round 😊.  

In all fairness Having travelled up to Banff in the last round and seeing the distances they cover week in week out I’d be surprised if there were more than a couple of busses especially at this time of year.

Looking forward to this one... easily gonna be our toughest match of the competition so far... they are clearly a better side than the other Highland sides we've played.

I get it's a long trip, things are more expensive these days and Broxburn isn't a glamour location (a few probably haven't heard of it) but I still reckon they'll have a solid couple of hundred there... a few highlanders living in the central belt area will show face!

Hard lines broxburn. A strange and hard way to lose.  I always thought it was going to be against us.  A better quality team than we normally play. Our support today was unbelievable, a gate of over 1,000!  Us going out is the Scottish Cup 4th round loss. Still much to play for this season 

9 hours ago, albynpark said:

Hard lines broxburn. A strange and hard way to lose.  I always thought it was going to be against us.  A better quality team than we normally play. Our support today was unbelievable, a gate of over 1,000!  Us going out is the Scottish Cup 4th round loss. Still much to play for this season 

The EoSFL Premier title is thee goal for the Brox this season,if unlicensed Beith win there games in hand over Clydebank and win the WOSFL,then the play offs should be straight forward against Newton Stewart or Creetown from the SoSFL. 

7 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

The EoSFL Premier title is thee goal for the Brox this season,if unlicensed Beith win there games in hand over Clydebank and win the WOSFL,then the play offs should be straight forward against Newton Stewart or Creetown from the SoSFL. 

100% on that... really this season was all about putting together a team for a better run in the league and maybe a run in a couple of cups. Credit to committee, players and management, it's turned into a so far incredible league campaign and runs in all the cups. 

Buckie were a very good side... and it's clear to see why they are consistently pushing for the HL title. Very fit, very well organised and they can knock the ball around pretty well and although the twice cut it very fine, they managed the game very well and with 10 men really limited Broxburn's chances.

On another day, Broxburn maybe score again from one of their breakaways once Buckie had to chase the game, or they hold on and get a bit more distance on their clearances... but when Buckie threw the kitchen sink at it and had to gamble, you could see why their Goals For column is pretty impressive. I'm sure Vale likely have many similar tales from over the years!

I appreciated the Buckie players clapping our support. Shows a bit of class imo. Bookie ls had it right to make them favourites. 

We have to remember what we where doing last season. Scrapping to avoid relegation! What a turnaround. Even if we don't quite get promotion or get a cup final, we have a side that make you want to watch them.

1 hour ago, Jordi1977 said:

100% on that... really this season was all about putting together a team for a better run in the league and maybe a run in a couple of cups. Credit to committee, players and management, it's turned into a so far incredible league campaign and runs in all the cups. 

Buckie were a very good side... and it's clear to see why they are consistently pushing for the HL title. Very fit, very well organised and they can knock the ball around pretty well and although the twice cut it very fine, they managed the game very well and with 10 men really limited Broxburn's chances.

On another day, Broxburn maybe score again from one of their breakaways once Buckie had to chase the game, or they hold on and get a bit more distance on their clearances... but when Buckie threw the kitchen sink at it and had to gamble, you could see why their Goals For column is pretty impressive. I'm sure Vale likely have many similar tales from over the years!

Yeah unfortunately Buckie hav had the upper hand over Vale for 10yrs or so now 😏

Reluctant tae say so but they are a very good tier 5 football team,pushed Brechin all the way to the last game of the season and a title shoot out at Victoria Park. 

Brox hav gave a good account of themselves however and promotion to the Lowland League is the prize at the end of the season for them.

Guest DannyBlue

With Hibs away, I decided to head to Broxburn for the game. It's the first time I've been there, and impressed with the set-up. It ended up being a good game after a slow start. It's gutting for Broxburn in the end for that to happen twice, but credit to Buckie for keeping going. I agree about the ref, where he found that added time from, I'll never know.

Saw you play at Meggetland last year around this time, and the team has clearly improved since then, hopefully, you go on and win the league.

• 3 weeks later...

It was nice to get back to Albyn Park and to league action. And to action in general with all the recent postponements!

Unfortunately, the conditions were a bit windy... and both teams seemed to think the best tactic for the weather were a series of high balls!

That said, it wasn't all that bad a game. Broxburn had a great early chance well saved and Bob Watt really kept us in the game with a great save diving down at the strikers feet to gather the ball.

2nd half Broxburn got the ball into the Haddington box lots... but it never really ever fell to anyone to be a chance. Haddington went down to 10 men for a compete IQ failure 2nd booking... already on a yellow and not moving away for a free kick! But with extra man, still couldn't make any clear chances, so 0-0 it finished. And the first ever 0-0 the wife has seen!

Bonuses... another clean sheet. Other results went in our favour, so actually extended our lead in the table!

Edited by Jordi1977

On 17/12/2023 at 08:19, Jordi1977 said:

It was nice to get back to Albyn Park and to league action. And to action in general with all the recent postponements!

Unfortunately, the conditions were a bit windy... and both teams seemed to think the best tactic for the weather were a series of high balls!

That said, it wasn't all that bad a game. Broxburn had a great early chance well saved and Bob Watt really kept us in the game with a great save diving down at the strikers feet to gather the ball.

2nd half Broxburn got the ball into the Haddington box lots... but it never really ever fell to anyone to be a chance. Haddington went down to 10 men for a compete IQ failure 2nd booking... already on a yellow and not moving away for a free kick! But with extra man, still couldn't make any clear chances, so 0-0 it finished. And the first ever 0-0 the wife has seen!

Bonuses... another clean sheet. Other results went in our favour, so actually extended our lead in the table!

Just like the 1st match, at Millfield, on 18 October 23, another close affair on Saturday. Defences were on top in both matches, qualified as Broxburn scored the only goal of the previous match. Also, centre-halfs for either side, Greg Page and Nicky Aitchison were awarded MoM by their respective clubs on Saturday. First 0-0 match Haddington has been involved in, this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Feels like an absolute age since Broxburn were last in action, so nice to get back to business. 

Tynecastle have made Meggetland a tough place to go to get points and that proved the case today, so an excellent afternoon for Broxburn to get the three points... but it was proper hard work!

Saved twice by a bobble on the pitch early on, eventually going behind to a penalty. Getting level by the break after Greg Page got final strike of the ball following a corner. It was a slow start, but finished the 1st half well on top.

Started 2nd half better than 1st, but after having a goal disallowed, were completely hit on the break and suddenly were 2-1 behind. Tynecastle sat in and defended for their lives, but eventually a cracking Ross Nimmo volley made it 2-2. Then with just 5 minutes left, the Tynecastle defence seemed to ball watch a bit after a free kick which gave Darren Downie just enough time to get a shot away that turned out to be the winning goal... following the customary Broxburn hanging on a bit in stoppage time.

Good start to 2024 and great to leave with the 3 points.

Great to get 3 points first of all. Tynecastle worked hard and where quite decent, but I think we made our own problems. Giving a penalty away just inside the box was a bit careless. Got back into the game and totally switched off for their second cause  decisions went against us. Ref wil never change their minds. Thankfully we had enough in the tank to win it eventually but let's be a bit more switched on in these key moments.  Onto a tough test on Friday. Curious as to why this game is a Friday?