General health-can it be a state of mind?

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Always a big mistake.

Fucksake, she's up there with @scottsdadjob and @Jacksgrandagoing to hospital.

Fishing for an update on the Prof? 😃 

That man has taken years off my life. But today, for some reason, I have been copied into a conversation between him and a senior colleague. No idea why, but seeing the Prof utterly destroy this guy has been really very amusing. I guess it's funny when it happens to someone else. And seeing the other guy get increasingly, by increments, frustrated and angry has for some reason I cannot explain amused me no end. 

The guy is a complete tool; and I for one am glad that the Prof has done some good and ruined his day. The best bit is, the substance of the matter is so unbelievably petty. 

48 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I definitely suffer from hypochondria. Fortunately, I've got enough self-awareness to recognise it; have only had a week off work sick in 10 years (Covid). 

This is an interesting point. I had many more sick days in my old job, which I liked OK but wasn't that fussed about, compared to my current one which I like a lot more. 

My aunt had serious health issues which eventually led to a terminal diagnosis. Her son was getting married a few months after the diagnosis and she held on and was at the wedding. She died about a week after the wedding. I am utterly convinced she held on until the wedding was over and if there was no wedding she would have died sooner

I know several hypochondriacs and I'm pretty sure that if you spend enough time thinking and worrying about how unwell you are, then it will be enough to make you a bit unwell. 

I'm not one for woo woo law of attraction or anything but I would say the more time spent worrying about a negative thing happening then the more likely it seems to happen, it could be just that you are more likely to notice it after thinking about it obsessively. I never once gave any thought that i might have caught covid no matter how many times I've spent at close quarters with others over the last 2 & half years and so far I've not had it 

Also a bona fide physio gave me acupuncture on my Achilles tendon a few years ago when I had torn it (not severed tho) and it seemed to work well

On 23/06/2022 at 14:45, oaksoft said:

I do wonder if that's why us Scots have such dreadful health compared to other European countries - the default state for so many people is just "torn-faced, miserable b*****d". 😃

You say that but in Italy there is a phenomenon known as "colpa d'aria" whereby they genuinely believe that going outside in the cold if you have wet hair or if you're sweating, will bring on a fever. Every household has a thermometer which they use as a guide to whether they are sick of not, even to the tenth of a degree. When I tell them we don't have one at home they are dumbstruck.

I am a bit of a mixed view on this as I agree that a person can definitely think themselves into an illness, like seeing someone have a cold and then believe they have it too.

Being overly positive that you’ll be fine though, can sometimes lead people to ignoring symptoms and not going for treatment when they should. 

On 23/06/2022 at 22:19, scottsdad said:

Fishing for an update on the Prof? 😃 

That man has taken years off my life. But today, for some reason, I have been copied into a conversation between him and a senior colleague. No idea why, but seeing the Prof utterly destroy this guy has been really very amusing. I guess it's funny when it happens to someone else. And seeing the other guy get increasingly, by increments, frustrated and angry has for some reason I cannot explain amused me no end. 

The guy is a complete tool; and I for one am glad that the Prof has done some good and ruined his day. The best bit is, the substance of the matter is so unbelievably petty. 

Now you know why we all looked forward to your updates on the prof.

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

You say that but in Italy there is a phenomenon known as "colpa d'aria" whereby they genuinely believe that going outside in the cold if you have wet hair or if you're sweating, will bring on a fever. Every household has a thermometer which they use as a guide to whether they are sick of not, even to the tenth of a degree. When I tell them we don't have one at home they are dumbstruck.

In Japan, they have to take their kids' temperature every day and report it for school.  The Japanese are very health conscious but it doesn't seem to make them healthier - forever at the doctor or hospital. 

Of the two, I'd say negativity and  'thinking' yourself ill is more likely than a positive outlook preventing you from becoming ill or catching a virus . Having a healthy lifestyle, diet etc obviously boosts your immune system and helps minimise the chances, while being lazy and eating shite clearly does the opposite. Maybe a positive mindset lends itself to believing it staves off sickness and fair enough to folk that think that way, but it's how you're actually living your life that does it not your mind, and if the flu, the 'rona, or god forbid any of the more debilitating or terminal diseases are going to get you, they're going to get you, positive mental attitude or not. Dealing with illness in a positive manner when it happens, rather than lying down to it is a different thing altogether and can absolutely help in recovery, or maximising time on a terminal diagnosis.

On the negatively minded side, my old neighbour was constantly complaining of various ailments to the extent that she had herself virtually housebound, despite her GP and the hospital being unable to find anything particularly wrong with her. She seemed utterly convinced of these things despite medical professionals thinking otherwise, although she was a lazy cnut and the cynic in me thinks it may just have been a convoluted long term ploy to get herself out of work and onto benefits.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I read this the other day about social prescribing by a radical Brighton based GP.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/26/better-ways-to-get-better-the-radical-gp-changing-lives

I'm sure it's all very well meaning but it also sounds just a bit like a load of old shite.

That's taking it a bit far but I listened to a podcast a while back where docs in Rochdale were socially prescribing lonely people to go along to the local rugby club. They had a whole thing set up where the players would serve the, mostly elderly people, lunch every Friday and they got free entry to the home matches. It was prescribed as a 10 week stint and the "patients" all really looked forward to it. I was impressed when I heard it.