Glastonbury

BigDoddyKane

19 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Turn on QOTSA just as they're launching into Song For the Dead. Superb.

Will watch the full set on Tuesday night. Not in a position to buy tickets to the Hydro show until the end of July, very much hoping there's still some left.

I'm in the same boat. Hoping for standing tickets still being available.

55 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I thought that was tremendous stuff from Elton John and his band. When auld Reg snuffs it and the TV show the tributes - just whack on his Glastonbury 2023 set to show what he did at age 76.

I saw Elton at the Apollo in the 80s and he was brilliant live then.  It was his first tour with his old original band again.   I haven't seen him since and thought he was done years ago. 

I was wrong, he was superb tonight. 

Thought the musicians in Blondie earlier on today were way ahead of the vocals, albeit I still quite enjoyed watching them. 

As for the QOTSA - I don't get what folk see in them, a lot like The Foo Fighters.  

Each to their own though. 

Edited by paul wright scores

17 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I saw Elton at the Apollo in the 80s and he was brilliant live then.  It was his first tour with his old original band again.   I haven't seen him since and thought he was done years ago. 

Thought the musicians in Blondie earlier on today were way ahead of the vocals, albeit I still quite enjoyed watching them. 

As for the QOTSA - I don't get what folk see in them, a lot like The Foo Fighters.  

Different strokes etc.

Personally I love QOTSA but am not a big fan of The Foo Fighters.

Like you, I enjoyed Blondie but I think they need to call it a day. Debbie just can’t sing anymore unfortunately and, let’s face it, she IS Blondie.

It was interesting to watch Debbie Harry, Elton (snippets) and Cat Stevens today. All in their mid 70s but Cat Stevens’ voice was almost as good as ever and he seemed much more youthful and sprightly then the other two. I know Elton has had issues with his voice in the past and he sounded ok today but he looked a bit wobbly on his feet. Everyone ages differently I suppose and we should enjoy them while we can as they’ll likely all be gone in a decade or so. Sad to think of how many musical superstars will be gone soon.

Edited by Tattie36

Agree blondie were rocking it. The issue was the near 80 year old woman trying to keep up. 

Would have loved to have seen them back in the day. 

Elton has fared a lot better with age. 

15 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Each to their own though. 

8 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Has Rod Stewart ever done Glastonbury? Wouldn't rule him out tonight like.

About 20 years ago. Missed a trick by doing his full Vegas show, if he'd stuck to his early 70s stuff it could have been legendary. 

10 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I have no idea , REM ain't happening. Would be happy with the PSB somewhere but as I won't get tickets anyway it's moo.

Good strategy, pretending to be a cow in the next field 🤔

11 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

There was a real lack of energy and any sort of engagement with the crowd from Alex Turner. His constant stretching out of the lyrics and generally changing the tempo ruined the set for me. I thought they were really poor.

They were never ones for engaging with the crowd though were they? Turner used to come across as cocky and likeable but now he comes across like he’s taking the piss and totally arrogant. 

Elton superb though, can’t believe I stayed up for it all on the sabbath.

28 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Is that available on the NHS?

They're withdrawing it because it obviously doesn't work. 

I was never a fan of festivals but the bits I caught looked and sounded like I'd stumbled into The Royal Variety Performance.

12 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

It's weird that Yamaha make pianos and motor bikes. It's like Golden Wonder making crisps and patio furniture. 

I found out a couple of years back that Michelin (the tyre company) is the same company that hands out Michelin stars to top class restaurants.

Absolutely bizarre pair of industries. 

31 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I found out a couple of years back that Michelin (the tyre company) is the same company that hands out Michelin stars to top class restaurants.

The Michelin brothers started producing maps and guides to restaurants etc. to try and encourage French people to buy cars and therefore sell more tyres. Smart business move.

37 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The Michelin one isn’t as bizarre as it sounds. The guide was started way back in the early days of motoring as a way of rating restaurants for folk travelling in those new fangled motor cars in which they, obviously had a vested interest in encouraging.

Edited by Tattie36

2 hours ago, throbber said:

They were never ones for engaging with the crowd though were they? Turner used to come across as cocky and likeable but now he comes across like he’s taking the piss and totally arrogant. 

Elton superb though, can’t believe I stayed up for it all on the sabbath.

Seen them a couple times and had pretty much zero crowd engagement, he comes across an arrogant p***k imo.

11 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Make it wit Chu morphing into the Rolling Stones’ Miss You was cool. The singer introduced himself as Elton John though and I’m not sure he’s telling the truth. 

Does he not play with Bayern Munich?