Fourth Division 22/23

18 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think everyone already knows anyway, but just to confirm that St Patrick's FPs have applied to be in the Fourth Division next season.

EXCLUSIVE: Dumbarton's St Patrick's FPs apply to join West of Scotland League

Earlier in this(?) thread there was mention of Knightswood FC having applied too. Haven't check with their web-site or facebook but there are links on the net.

www.facebook.com/knightswoodfootballclub/?locale=en_GB

www.knightswoodfootballclub.com

42 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Not being au fait with the bigotry involved in all this, I have a genuine question which was going to ask and stopped myself before but given the post two above, what is the thinking behind calling teams St. something? If it's going to cause bother then we can leave it.

First boys club I played for was St.Convals in Pollok. Cause it was my local club all the local kids played there. Not up on the clubs beginnings but when I was there we used the chapel hall for all fundcraising and awards. The parish priests and community supported us financially and with all kinds of help.

Like a number of these clubs we were mixed and totally immersed in the local community no religion was involved. 

I'm pretty sure also the Ants was never set up as a club of bigotry. St.Anthony is synonymous with Govan.

54 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Not being au fait with the bigotry involved in all this, I have a genuine question which was going to ask and stopped myself before but given the post two above, what is the thinking behind calling teams St. something? If it's going to cause bother then we can leave it.

The Dumbarton St Patrick’s came from being the  team from St Patrick’s school in Dumbarton. 

Back in the day they were called “Boys Guild” in that they were teams from a school but set up to play out with and as well as the schools competition.

Not sure about St Anthony’s in Govan but St Rochs were born out of the school and church teams and St Cadocs was from the primary school which hosted a youth club and its football team.

Dont see any bigoted motives and don’t dee how having the prefix “saint” is going to cause bother.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

As pointed out for St Pat's its Former Pupils/School tradition seen quite often in amateurs, taken the name from 'Our Lady & St Patrick's High School' in this instance. You've got Dumbarton Academy FP in the town as well. Think it's how Campbeltown also got their name.

image.png.a9c6ce706c294ff5a7dd2937926eab17.png

Thanks for the replies. For the sake of clarity, I would gladly see both sides of the OF fired into the sun due to the bigoted nature of each and brought my boys up in the same way. As an extension of my previous question, do most/all St. teams link themselves to the green ugly sister and by extension Rangers teams to the blue abomination?

There's an interesting post in the Albion Rovers thread in the LL sub-forum about Benburb playing in green at "Hibernian Park" early in their history and being named after a battle that an Irish Roman Catholic army won in County Tyrone in the 1640s despite later becoming Govan's Rangers mini-me. Hibs are now more the Leith and East Lothian team than Edinburgh's Roman Catholic club. Names from earlier decades don't necessarily have to dictate what a club is in the present day.

A wee anecdote about the 2 Govan clubs. It's a misnomer that the Ben's are Rangers orientated there may have been some local Gers fans who migrated to them thinking they were 'their' team, but historically the club didn't favour either persuasion. As for the Ants, in the days of Mr.Struth up Edmiston Drive there are stories of football's, training equipment and other assorted items making it's way down to Moorepark. My understanding is that Ants had a frosty relationship with the team from the East.

St.Rochs have never hidden their association with their neighbours and were initially setup as an intended feeder club.

As has been stated virtually all the boys clubs etc. were started up by parents, staff, parishioners etc of the local school, church, chapel. Have never been aware of any sectarianism with any of them. Of course I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Thanks for the replies. For the sake of clarity, I would gladly see both sides of the OF fired into the sun due to the bigoted nature of each and brought my boys up in the same way. As an extension of my previous question, do most/all St. teams link themselves to the green ugly sister and by extension Rangers teams to the blue abomination?

St Cadocs certainly don’t.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Was always curious about how few teams wore green compared to blue or red in the Wosfl.

Even teams that don't wear blue or red as a home strip have a blue away strip.

Maybe it's just coincidence.

Or summit.

18 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

Did St Cadocs  not have a guy closely involved with Celtic who was investing in the club/backing them financially?

They did, but that doesn’t mean they as a club go out their way a’la St Rochs to align themselves with Celtic 

So do people want “Saint” taken out of club names?

21 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

As has been stated virtually all the boys clubs etc. were started up by parents, staff, parishioners etc of the local school, church, chapel. Have never been aware of any sectarianism with any of them. Of course I could be wrong.

Never knew that about St Cuthbert's.

2 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

They did, but that doesn’t mean they as a club go out their way a’la St Rochs to align themselves with Celtic 

So do people want “Saint” taken out of club names?

To be fair to the candy they were started up to be a feeder club to the tic.

And having been around them other for a while they are a very open club.

There is an element unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Fair play at the recent Junior Cup Final at Broadwood, only saw two Sevco shirts compared to Rugby Park finals which look like a "The Rangers" away game.

Just back from having lunch in KBT (Kirkcudbright for the uninformed). Seen more Team2012 tops then walking about Kinning Park. I find it sad and quite depressing that I never see any Saints tops other than when at St.Marys.

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Fair play at the recent Junior Cup Final at Broadwood, only saw two Sevco shirts compared to Rugby Park finals which look like a "The Rangers" away game.

Who are this Sevco you continually speak about?

Never seen that name in any League table.