The Queen of the South thread

21 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes at the moment 

Robinson 

Brownlie Dowie Higgins Marshall 

Thomas Jacobs Hammil Carmichael 

Dobbie Lyle 

Subs Dykes Hilson Hooper Brotherson Bell Murray Ferguson Atkinson 

Just listing 18 players that came to mind not necessarily the team.

You've got Hilson on your list, is he anywhere near fit yet? Noticed he was not on crutches spectating at the Dumbarton game.

I'm struggling to think of a list with plenty of contentious stuff that the Board has been responsible for. Yes, there have been a couple of issues I would list that, on the face of it, were not handled particularly well. The dealings with the so called Young Team, faults on both sides imo, signing players without a Manager in place. Skelton's hiring and eventual departure and the Interim Managers role in this. I doubt if a non-voting supporter's rep on the Board would have had much if any effect on these issues however. To be clear, I don't consider myself a "forelock tugger" just an ordinary supporter who, from the outside, considers that the current Board has achieved more "pros" than "cons" over the past few years. I won't be too upset either way if a fans rep is eventually put on the Board or not, but for some to be suggesting that it's essential as the club is being so poorly run is a poor basis for mounting the campaign. I eagerly await a list from disgruntled supporters why they think the Board are not doing a reasonable job and what difference a fans rep would or could have changed things.

I've no issue with the way the club is being run. As you say, there are far more pros than cons. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about the The Rangers vote but other than that I really can't fault them.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've no issue with the way the club is being run. As you say, there are far more pros than cons. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about the The Rangers vote but other than that I really can't fault them.

Agreed that the Rangers vote was embarrassing and upset a lot of fans but it did not really have a direct impact on the actual running of the Club at the time,  it only made the Chairman and Board look a bit stupid. Even if a fans rep had been in place at the time it's doubtful if our vote would have been any different.

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm struggling to think of a list with plenty of contentious stuff that the Board has been responsible for. Yes, there have been a couple of issues I would list that, on the face of it, were not handled particularly well. The dealings with the so called Young Team, faults on both sides imo, signing players without a Manager in place. Skelton's hiring and eventual departure and the Interim Managers role in this. I doubt if a non-voting supporter's rep on the Board would have had much if any effect on these issues however. To be clear, I don't consider myself a "forelock tugger" just an ordinary supporter who, from the outside, considers that the current Board has achieved more "pros" than "cons" over the past few years. I won't be too upset either way if a fans rep is eventually put on the Board or not, but for some to be suggesting that it's essential as the club is being so poorly run is a poor basis for mounting the campaign. I eagerly await a list from disgruntled supporters why they think the Board are not doing a reasonable job and what difference a fans rep would or could have changed things.

Who exactly has "suggested that it's essential as the club is being so poorly run"?  I totally missed that.

I too would hold with the idea that the general picture is more "pro" than "con".  I like for instance, much of the community work the club now does and that the Arena helps facilitate.

In terms of your list, there were certainly things about the manager situation this season that could provoke disquiet.  The obvious one however goes back a few years and concerns Rangers.  It's difficult to conceive of more contemptuous treatment of a fan base whose views had been actively sought.

To say that a fan rep might not have altered such decisions is absolutely to miss the point.  The idea of supporter representation, has something to do with the principle that supporters make a hugely significant contribution in various ways.  The notion of that being recognised via a boardroom voice, strikes me as very sensible.

I'd feel exactly the same way, regardless of how well or otherwise I thought the existing board was currently doing.

A non-voting director seems to be a similar role to this "supporter liaison" role, just reports back appropriate information to the fans? I think a lot of fans would get on board with the liaison idea if it was a job rotated between supporters groups, rather than an employee/stooge of the board in the role.

Who are the Trust actually putting forward for the role on the board? Surely there would just be two meetings, one with the non-voting director and then a second meeting when the current board just do as they please. There are also issues of what information is appropriate to be fed back to the fans/trust.

Club running without debt, making a profit, established in the Championship and all on the back of poor fan attendance. 

I think being the "fan in the middle" could be a very awkward and unsatisfying position tbh. Much of a business must remain confidential but fans, understandably, want more information to be given out. So, imagine being the fans' rep and put in the unenviable position of being bound to say nothing on certain issues. As for being the fans' mouthpiece to the BOD, what pelters await that person when they are held partly responsible for unpopular Board decisions. Also, there as many opinions as fans, so representing this "constituency" could be about as popular as a standard Saturday afternoon ref. 

I am not against a fan rep on the Board but I need to be convinced about how effective it is in practice.

20 minutes ago, Tam said:

Club running without debt, making a profit, established in the Championship and all on the back of poor fan attendance. 

I think being the "fan in the middle" could be a very awkward and unsatisfying position tbh. Much of a business must remain confidential but fans, understandably, want more information to be given out. So, imagine being the fans' rep and put in the unenviable position of being bound to say nothing on certain issues. As for being the fans' mouthpiece to the BOD, what pelters await that person when they are held partly responsible for unpopular Board decisions. Also, there as many opinions as fans, so representing this "constituency" could be about as popular as a standard Saturday afternoon ref. 

I am not against a fan rep on the Board but I need to be convinced about how effective it is in practice.

I agree that it would be a difficult role for someone, but that in itself doesn't make it a bad idea.

I'm not convinced that it would have such a big effect in practice either - my take is more to do with principle.

If having fan representation on the board would make no difference though; it surely begs questions as to why it's being so firmly resisted.

It looks like we will not be signing anyone.Can you still get players on loan after the window is closed.?Still get emg. loans ?.

Would have liked a forward in but as Naysmith has said no point signing anyone for the sake of it.Is Hilson near to fitness or have we seen the last of him

Edited by Northfield 53

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree that it would be a difficult role for someone, but that in itself doesn't make it a bad idea.

I'm not convinced that it would have such a big effect in practice either - my take is more to do with principle.

If having fan representation on the board would make no difference though; it surely begs questions as to why it's being so firmly resisted.

I agree with all of what you've said on this. Having a fan's rep on the board is merely a statement that the board respect the supporters and want to work with them to improve the club. If the BOD don't have that attitude then a representative won't help. Yes, things are going well at the moment but it wasn't that long ago they were coming to supporters groups cap in hand for money - it's always better to mend the roof when the sun is shining.

I'd be interested in the opinions from supporters of other clubs with representatives if they stumble across this thread.

Edited by TeeMan

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

It looks like we will not be signing anyone.Can you still get players on loan after the window is closed.?Still get emg. loans ?.

Would have liked a forward in but as Naysmith has said no point signing anyone for the sake of it.Is Hilson near to fitness or have we seen the last of him

Looks like the usual final day transfer deals at Palmerston just players leaving, Unless Naysmith is working late trying to get players in... (Dreaming again).

According to the official website we now have 15 players out on Development Loans. Only one of those is playing in the league (and not getting a regular start at Annan Athletic), and the rest are at a pretty poor level in the Lowland League and South of Scotland League. Nine of the 16 are at clubs which were in the Dumfries Saturday Amateur League until that folded in 2014. They are at a level that has nothing at all to do with the professional game.

As far as I am aware these lads don't cost much in terms of wages, and they are getting a college course as well, so if they think it is worth it then fair do's. I have no real problem and am just curious about the point of all of this? It must be a lot of admin for the club, for apparently little reward for anyone involved.

Maybe I should just ask the board?

20 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

It certainly says something that a player who was on the brink of breaking into our first team is now at Dalbeattie.

I'm not quite sure what it says though.

Maybe we're turning Dalbeattie into a proxy team loaded with loan players like Hearts with Cowdenbeath, Celtic with Hibs and Livingston with HMP Barlinnie. 

20 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Maybe we're turning Dalbeattie into a proxy team loaded with loan players like Hearts with Cowdenbeath, Celtic with Hibs and Livingston with HMP Barlinnie. 

:lol: Kudos on a quality joke.

We have many more players at Uppers than anywhere else, and Uppers are second bottom of the worst league in Scottish senior football.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

According to the official website we now have 15 players out on Development Loans. Only one of those is playing in the league (and not getting a regular start at Annan Athletic), and the rest are at a pretty poor level in the Lowland League and South of Scotland League. Nine of the 16 are at clubs which were in the Dumfries Saturday Amateur League until that folded in 2014. They are at a level that has nothing at all to do with the professional game.

As far as I am aware these lads don't cost much in terms of wages, and they are getting a college course as well, so if they think it is worth it then fair do's. I have no real problem and am just curious about the point of all of this? It must be a lot of admin for the club, for apparently little reward for anyone involved.

Maybe I should just ask the board?

16 out on loan now that Dean is out.

In fairness, of the 10 in the South League, 9 are 16 or 17 years old. They are nowhere near ready for senior first team football. Pretty much all still eligible to play youth football. The other is Jay McInally at Threave.

Scott Norman is here to have a look at for 6 months having left Annan and is from Gretna so sending him there makes sense. He was there on loan before in his Annan days.

I am surprised Moxey didnt go to a better level than Gretna but geography is a factor there with the boy living in Carlisle. The manager wanted these boys on Development loan so he can monitor them playing for the 20s so they need to go to a Scottish side. If Annan arent interested then League level football is not really practical.

Same with Richard Murray at Dalbeattie. He lives in Sanquhar so whilst he is further up the road a league level side is still awkward and you cant do Development Loans to the Juniors.

And again now with Dean Brotherston who is a Dumfries boy. Unless the are going to do an awful lot of travel on their own then if Annan arent a possibility then Dalbeattie and Gretna are the best of the local level. Its three divisions below our first team albeit its a lot lower standard but they will still learn there. Connor Murray was outstanding at Gretna for the first half of the season and is now in Naysmith's first team plans. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I take it nothing much changes day to day for these boys when they're loaned out?

Do they still train with the under 20 set-up and work for Queens in the community in the same way?

Yeah not much changes. They still train with the 20s and do their college stuff through the day. And they still do whatever community work they did before. They will train a couple of evenings with their loan team (Dalbeattie train at Palmerston anyway) but the main difference is on Saturdays when they will be playing for the loan team instead of matchday duties at Palmerston. Leaves us a bit short staffed but we will cope.

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

16 out on loan now that Dean is out.

In fairness, of the 10 in the South League, 9 are 16 or 17 years old. They are nowhere near ready for senior first team football. Pretty much all still eligible to play youth football. The other is Jay McInally at Threave.

Scott Norman is here to have a look at for 6 months having left Annan and is from Gretna so sending him there makes sense. He was there on loan before in his Annan days.

I am surprised Moxey didnt go to a better level than Gretna but geography is a factor there with the boy living in Carlisle. The manager wanted these boys on Development loan so he can monitor them playing for the 20s so they need to go to a Scottish side. If Annan arent interested then League level football is not really practical.

Same with Richard Murray at Dalbeattie. He lives in Sanquhar so whilst he is further up the road a league level side is still awkward and you cant do Development Loans to the Juniors.

And again now with Dean Brotherston who is a Dumfries boy. Unless the are going to do an awful lot of travel on their own then if Annan arent a possibility then Dalbeattie and Gretna are the best of the local level. Its three divisions below our first team albeit its a lot lower standard but they will still learn there. Connor Murray was outstanding at Gretna for the first half of the season and is now in Naysmith's first team plans. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Since the manager only intends to monitor them when playing for the 20s, I suppose my follow up question is, what is the advantage for a 16/17 year old to play with the hammer throwers of the South of Scotland League rather than just play in the Development League? I cannot imagine they learn much relevant to the professional game, and there must be a lot of bad habits they could pick up and enthusiasm they could lose playing at that level.

Obviously I am not an expert and I am not expecting anyone on the forum to be one - some people may have a bit more insight than I do, though.