The Queen of the South thread

Last season we went on our good run when due to injuries the team picked itself and AJ couldn’t tinker with the team. As soon as he could again lo and behold we started losing again.
Before the start of the league this season we had a small squad and looked reasonably decent.
The bigger the squad AJ has the more he is able to arse it up by tinkering with the team. We aren’t Man City, Liverpool, etc who have stars as back up in every position. 

play to our strengths rather than worrying about the opposition. Oh wait we are 11 games into the season and still doesn’t know our strengths 

Am not convinced he knows all that much.

49 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If we sack them then we will have to pay him what he is due. That's as it should be. 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Surely to God that's the end of AJ's spell as manager.

ONE thing if it's not the end the board won't need to worry about re-opening the main stand this season cause the number of home fans will get less and less... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

55 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Surely we won't have to pay off his whole contract.... Regardless its time to go or he is going to cost us Championship staus for sure.... 

What happened to the Dykes money and the Covid money last season? We surely cannot have spent all of that?

ONE thing if it's not the end the board won't need to worry about re-opening the main stand this season cause the number of home fans will get less and less... 

Thought that myself. If there are more than 900 QoS fans against Raith I'll be shocked.
What happened to the Dykes money and the Covid money last season? We surely cannot have spent all of that?

Probably kept us afloat tbh.

It does feel like we've been on a downward trend for a couple of years now. It's a bit doom and gloom isn't it? Probably more than a bit. We can't even make excuses about injuries etc - we have a decent sized squad (maybe too big going by some of the comments above!) and what feels like some decent individuals (but maybe I'm deluding myself). I have a horrible feeling that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

AJ went out there to defend and not lose. But we still lose 4-0. The fact we only make one sub told us everything we need to know about him as a manager. His tenure should be over but we know our BOD won't do the right thing. You have got a couple of guys out of work who could coach our players. AJ is a fraud. Let's see who he blames in his interview this time. His 5-4-1 tactics were embarrassing we made Killie look good because we gave them so much space. 

That’s us lost the first goal 6 times in the league this season and there have been 6 defeats. Overall, since Johnston came back, we’ve conceded first 31 times. One win, one draw, 29 defeats. So a 93.5% chance of losing after conceding first. Which this season is 100%.
Johnston is not a good manager. But a lot of those players are gutless losers.

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

That’s us lost the first goal 6 times in the league this season and there have been 6 defeats. Overall, since Johnston came back, we’ve conceded first 31 times. One win, one draw, 29 defeats. So a 93.5% chance of losing after conceding first. Which this season is 100%.
Johnston is not a good manager. But a lot of those players are gutless losers.

That why we should not have signed so many boys when the  going gets tough they just can't cope lose games of football far to easily 

Harry Cochrane said in the press last week he was just happy to play every week win lose or draw that attitude will not win you games of football 

28 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

That why we should not have signed so many boys when the  going gets tough they just can't cope lose games of football far to easily 

Harry Cochrane said in the press last week he was just happy to play every week win lose or draw that attitude will not win you games of football 

I think the age of the players is irrelevant.   It could be argued that we have actually signed too many players, as the manager seems totally confused by the number of options available to him.

What I found most frustrating today was that AJ made no attempt to play to our own strengths and instead the intent was to have as many players behind the ball as possible.  Unfortunately he neglected to get his own players to press the opposition which allowed Kilmarnock to dictate play.   We were so negative that when we actually managed to win the ball our players were all hanging around our own eighteen yard box and had no out ball.

The team look totally devoid of confidence at the moment and it certainly doesn't help when the manager blames them for his own shortcomings.  At least Naysmith was honest enough to admit a lot of the mistakes were of his own making.

It's now a chore to even watch the games from the comfort of my own living room.  I've only been to Palmerston in the flesh twice this season for various reasons, and based on current evidence I can't see myself there again any time soon, especially while the current charlatan is in the dugout.

Edited by Slipmat

On 28/10/2021 at 09:27, Skyline Drifter said:

Palmerston could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up for sure but in general in that set of photos the only parts that look particularly bad are on the closed Terregles Street Terrace part of the ground which understandably gets very little attention when resources are limited. I'm not sure how the guy got access to that area to take photos on a matchday but he clearly did.

Covid protocols have prevented having a public cleanup in the last two summers too which doesn't help the situation.

20 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Maybe the Tanner fund collection could be matched by the Board and spent on ground maintenance instead of a new player? Obviously wouldnt solve things, but would be a start

20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Obviously, such things are cosmetic, but they do matter.

As pointed out elsewhere, I don't suppose anyone would be fixating on a bit of decay, if the current Queens team was riding high.  

The fact is though, that it perhaps looks as if little pride is taken in our club and its surroundings these days.  That can be infectious.

1 hour ago, Riviera711 said:

It does feel like we've been on a downward trend for a couple of years now. It's a bit doom and gloom isn't it? Probably more than a bit. We can't even make excuses about injuries etc - we have a decent sized squad (maybe too big going by some of the comments above!) and what feels like some decent individuals (but maybe I'm deluding myself). I have a horrible feeling that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

The lack of investment off the park and the general run down state of the ground and surroundings is the perfect metaphor for the slow demise of the team and results on the park.

I did think it might be worth using some of the Tanner Funds raised to spruce up Palmerston as I can’t really see the club wanting to use money raised by a fans group to strengthen the team!!

The stark reality is that we are a poor team that is only going backwards under the present management team. With the  loyal fan base dwindling away and the cold dark winter nights fast approaching, attendances are only going to get worse.

The BOD have some serious decisions to make before it’s too late. Major building works are required on and off the pitch. Give us Queens fans an early Christmas present and hand AJ & SC their cards!!!

PS a quick question SD …… would your wife be happy if your front door looked like the doors at Palmerston?!!

411BD583-B646-4981-8590-163A71DE2FE3.jpeg

Edited by Mustafa_sheet

The lack of investment off the park and the general run down state of the ground and surroundings is the perfect metaphor for the slow demise of the team and results on the park.
I did think it might be worth using some of the Tanner Funds raised to spruce up Palmerston as I can’t really see the club wanting to use money raised by a fans group to strengthen the team!!
The stark reality is that we are a poor team that is only going backwards under the present management team. With the  loyal fan base dwindling away and the cold dark winter nights fast approaching, attendances are only going to get worse.
The BOD have some serious decisions to make before it’s too late. Major building works are required on and off the pitch. Give us Queens fans an early Christmas present and hand AJ & SC their cards!!!

PS a quick question SD …… would your wife be happy if your front door looked like the doors at Palmerston?!!
411BD583-B646-4981-8590-163A71DE2FE3.thumb.jpeg.4e044f4c6927cf7627d6f81de581c015.jpeg

I expect she'd be over the moon if her house was big enough that it needed doors that size.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I expect she'd be over the moon if her house was big enough that it needed doors that size.

Plenty more examples. Take your pick!!

I guess the ramshackle state of the stadium is quite fitting really as it closely resembles the carnage on the park!

B611E4C4-795C-44AD-9745-741803C697CF.jpeg

85EABCCD-DD50-4454-9D40-FF89AB2E810E.jpeg

77769C6C-1B62-44C9-85CE-6ED095028E43.jpeg

74932937-B215-4F53-BC33-990C028BEDFE.jpeg

I think that’s it for AJ and Clark, but I’m not sure the BoD will act. 

I was happy enough for them to be given a 2 year deal, I felt it showed a bit of ambition and would allow AJ to build a team and an identity.  Genuinely thought it was a positive  

That hasn’t happened.  There is no identity.  At the very least make yourself hard to beat, that 3rd goal is one of the most embarrassing I’ve seen defensively for a long time. 

That’s defending from a group that don’t believe in their manager and coaches. 

I got it wrong, I hope the board can admit the same and make the changes we need. 

1 hour ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

that 3rd goal is one of the most embarrassing I’ve seen defensively for a long time. 

That’s defending from a group that don’t believe in their manager and coaches. 

Agreed.

It also points to players lacking in professionals pride.

That's as big a concern.  

I actually think that fans are often too quick to suggest players aren't trying.  Players obviously have off days, make bad decisions or simply lack the necessary ability for their level.  I think it's rare to see them chuck it though, or fail to exert themselves.

That was in evidence to a comical extent with yesterday's 3rd goal.  It was the sort of defending you don't really see in professional football.  In fact it's rare to see it in adult football at all.

This lack of pride and basic application might of course be related to a lack of faith in the management.  It's not a valid excuse though.

10 hours ago, A-Mac said:

Worst league start in 14 years. 31% winning percentage across all competitions since 2019.

Not good enough.

Never realised it was this bad...

To think Queens are still in 8th having lost more games than the other 9 teams in the Championship (8), shows you how poor Ton and Pars are. Ton got a 97th minute equaliser at Cappielow vs. Hamilton and Pars were 2-0 ahead away to Arbroath early on then lost 4 goals....

Never realised it was this bad...
To think Queens are still in 8th having lost more games than the other 9 teams in the Championship (8), shows you how poor Ton and Pars are. Ton got a 97th minute equaliser at Cappielow vs. Hamilton and Pars were 2-0 ahead away to Arbroath early on then lost 4 goals....

It's the toughest division in years apparently with no poor teams.

I sometimes wonder if AJ genuinely believes the BS he spouts.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's the toughest division in years apparently with no poor teams.

I sometimes wonder if AJ genuinely believes the BS he spouts.

He claimed there were no easy games.  Tommy Wright might disagree.

What's clear from all AJ's interviews is that he's really clueless as to how things might be fixed.  Genuinely, he's at a loss as to remedying any of what we're seeing.  That's why he's reduced to just trotting out these meaningless expressions he's heard other people say many times before.

The boldest thing he's done is give a young loanee a good run of games.  He's even been prepared to rock the boat to accommodate it.  I honestly feel very sorry for the boy because it must be extremely uncomfortable for him.  He's young enough to have a chance of developing into a strong player.  There is literally nothing that marks him out as particularly special at this stage though, so continually fielding him in a position that was already fine for us, just seems wilfully destructive.

AJ is clearly not fit to perform the job he has.  I can't see things changing while the table still Indicates we can stay up though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis