The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Apparently we are re signing Stephen Hendrie expecting negative replies but how was he for yous? 

Apologies for being thick ... but who exactly are "we" (don't see it in your profile) ...?

16 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Apparently we are re signing Stephen Hendrie expecting negative replies but how was he for yous? 

Decent enough at times. Made some daft mistakes and cost us with a stupid red card. Has virtually no pace. 

Not remotely bothered that he's not staying on. 

Just now, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Decent enough at times. Made some daft mistakes and cost us with a stupid red card. Has virtually no pace. 

Not remotely bothered that he's not staying on. 

Honestly wouldn't have said pace was an issue with him.

Hendrie frustrated me because the vast majority of the time he looked really good, especially after he first came into the side, but he had two or three games where he just utterly had a horror show. Most notably the 5-1 loss at Alloa in November where he was responsible for 3 or 4 goals and got himself red carded all within a 20 minute mid game spell! The red card for retaliation against Montrose at the end of the season was unforgiveable too and ended our playoff chance.

22 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Echo what's been said. He was on my 'Happy enough if he stays/won't care if he goes' list. 

He has some engine on him and got up the pitch well. Has a decent strike on him as well. Defensively poor at times though and got caught out a few times. As SD said he could have a heads gone moment from time to time. I always thought he looked like a player who had the ability to be an excellent full back but just couldn't be fucked. If he screws the nut he has the potential to be a cracking player. 

20 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Average. Ok going forward when he's in the mood, got a decent strike on him. As has been said by others he's capable of the odd gaff. We kept Hendrie last season and put Quitongo out on loan to Clyde when Bartley came in but, for me, it was 50/50 which one was best. Just an average League 1 player would sum him up. 

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Honestly wouldn't have said pace was an issue with him.

Hendrie frustrated me because the vast majority of the time he looked really good, especially after he first came into the side, but he had two or three games where he just utterly had a horror show. Most notably the 5-1 loss at Alloa in November where he was responsible for 3 or 4 goals and got himself red carded all within a 20 minute mid game spell! The red card for retaliation against Montrose at the end of the season was unforgiveable too and ended our playoff chance.

Don't know if he was playing with an injury or not but in the first game away to Clyde he was hooked just after half time, didn't look interested and nothing was coming off for him. 

Yeah I think all of that is fair enough tbf he's clearly not hit the potential he had when he was with us on his first spell when he was younger which got him the move to West Ham. They are rumours that we are signing Jackson Longridge as well so he might not even start for us who knows.

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And a sensible approach angers you? 

Not necessarily my opinion, but presumably he's advocating investing cash in bank, since we have fairly sizeable cash reserves of several times our worst losses in recent years (or did on last accounts - don't think I've read the latest ones).

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think he started a game under Bartley but he had a few appearances from the bench. 

Aye I was meaning in general not literally, I remember him coming off the bench once or twice to see the games out towards the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yeah I think all of that is fair enough tbf he's clearly not hit the potential he had when he was with us on his first spell when he was younger which got him the move to West Ham. They are rumours that we are signing Jackson Longridge as well so he might not even start for us who knows.

Pretty well covered by previous QOS posters.  Have a Partick work colleague who was sorry to see him leave, but having watched Hendrie now I think he'd maybe struggle in the Championship now - but loads of energy, likes to get forward, but has the odd bombscare moment in him.  Will be OK again in L1 though.

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Not necessarily my opinion, but presumably he's advocating investing cash in bank, since we have fairly sizeable cash reserves of several times our worst losses in recent years (or did on last accounts - don't think I've read the latest ones).

Just wondering if some of that cash has gone in the pitch replacement?  Or was there some kind of grant again for that?

Or maybe that cash has been ring-fenced to fund development of the biodiversity eco-tourism opportunity on the old stand roof?

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

He never kicked a ball since Bartley came in but he was a bit of a car crash under Gibson. Should also add he wasn’t the only one so it’s a bit unfair singling him out.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think he started a game under Bartley but he had a few appearances from the bench. 

The pedant in me apologises in advance but feels the need to point out he started Bartley's first game in charge up at Montrose. He never started again though. He made 6 late appearances off the bench.

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Perhaps. But again, with crowds the way they are I'm not sure how far those reserves will stretch. I'm extremely frustrated with our current predicament but I'd rather we were ran in a way that doesn't risk our future as a club. 

39 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Just wondering if some of that cash has gone in the pitch replacement?  Or was there some kind of grant again for that?

Or maybe that cash has been ring-fenced to fund development of the biodiversity eco-tourism opportunity on the old stand roof?

We got a (UK) Government grant towards the pitch upgrade (£170,000 rings a bell) I  believe, Gretna 2008 got a grant towards upgrading their floodlights at the same time.. Our local Westminster MPs  were in the papers heralding the granting of the money which was awarded under each Club's Community Trust Schemes. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We got a (UK) Government grant towards the pitch upgrade (£170,000 rings a bell) I  believe, Gretna 2008 got a grant towards upgrading their floodlights at the same time.. Our local Westminster MPs  were in the papers heralding the granting of the money which was awarded under each Club's Community Trust Schemes. 

Ah, cheers.  I thought I'd read somewhere that a grant was involved.  Not sure if it covered the whole cost or not though - we maybe still had to dip into our own cash reserves for the balance, not sure.

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Ah, cheers.  I thought I'd read somewhere that a grant was involved.  Not sure if it covered the whole cost or not though - we maybe still had to dip into our own cash reserves for the balance, not sure.

I might be talking pish, quite often do, I'm not a shareholder so don't see accounts, but is there not a sum set aside in the accounts allocated for pitch upgrade? Sure someone mentioned it on here. Perhaps Greenacres is the go-to man to ask about finances (or failing that, SD). 

36 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I might be talking pish, quite often do, I'm not a shareholder so don't see accounts, but is there not a sum set aside in the accounts allocated for pitch upgrade? Sure someone mentioned it on here. Perhaps Greenacres is the go-to man to ask about finances (or failing that, SD). 

No, there's a provision in the accounts noting that we have a future liability to pay for a pitch. There's not a separate set aside cash sum.