The Queen of the South thread

In all my hundreds of visits to Palmy over many years I have never been searched or asked to effectively “turn out my pockets”. So I guess that this so called “risk that I and others potentially present to fellow fans” has not been checked previously.At Easter Road where I sometimes attend they have electronic turnstiles where literally hundreds of fans pour through in the minutes before kick off completely unchecked. Stewards couldn’t possibly deal with the numbers and they stand back and basically usher fans through as quickly as they can. There is literally no risk management there at all. I am not sure what purpose is served by checking a few random supporters other than the proverbial box ticking exercise. 

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

A new first for me yesterday at Palmerston. I arrived at 2.50 and as I was approaching the turnstile nearest the Players Entrance I fumbled for my mobile phone to present my Q code. I had no jacket, no baggage. Just as I was about to present my credentials the solitary security steward asked me to disclose what was in my trouser pockets? 

Taken aback I asked the obvious question politely - what business was it of his or anybody else for that matter? He indicated that “ he needs to be seen to check supporters before they enter the stadium”. He pointed out that directly above that turnstile is a security camera which beams back footage to his “supervisor” who will periodically check that the stewards are being diligent and ensuring that supporters are not carrying dangerous objects into the ground. Unfortunately , he couldn’t let me in without this check!!!!

At this point I presented my reading glasses from my left hand pocket and he said that it was now ok for me to enter the ground. I asked if he needed to retain the glasses till after the match but he said it wasn’t necessary.What a relief!!!!!

You honestly couldn’t make it up!!!

Tbh, that doesn’t sound particularly unusual. Searches and checks at football are usually quite cursory compared to big concerts, which have become draconian. I took my son to see Wu-Tang Clan at the Hydro in Glasgow a couple of months ago, and full airport-style checks including metal detectors were in operation. Not only that,  but stewards were actually inserting their hands directly into people’s pockets to check the contents, rather than asking them to disclose the contents or empty them out. They were also asking people to open up their specs cases and wallets and take out the contents. I told my son that if a steward attempted to put his hands into my pockets, or my son’s, I’d be demanding to speak to a supervisor and taking the matter further, but fortunately it didn’t happen in our case. I was quite vocal in expressing my opinion towards the stewards (many of the people they were intimately searching were just kids), and a number of people in the queue also spoke up in agreement. Had a steward attempted to search us in that fashion I’d have refused and made a complaint. There’s definitely a line that can be crossed, from effective and responsible stewarding and security to an invasion of privacy and a breach of civil liberties. From your description there, I’d say the steward was only doing his job. 

19 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Yep, another season of mediocrity is the best we can hope for without some top signings.

I have said many many  times we need more height  experience and aggression right through the centre of the team untill we get it we will struggle like we did against Alloa.

I sound like a broken record repeating this but just look at the Alloa highlights Sammon won every ball in the air with ease as did the centre half's at both ends for Alloa .

Over on the match thread it seems Marv  has said 2 players are incoming this week please be 7 foot tall have experience be aggressive and can score goals is that asking too much .

14 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I told my son that if a steward attempted to put his hands into my pockets, or my son’s, I’d be demanding to speak to a supervisor and taking the matter further, but fortunately it didn’t happen in our case. 

Admit it.

You were a bit gutted that you didn't get the chance to kick off.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

I have said many many  times we need more height  experience and aggression right through the centre of the team untill we get it we will struggle like we did against Alloa.

I sound like a broken record repeating this but just look at the Alloa highlights Sammon won every ball in the air with ease as did the centre half's at both ends for Alloa .

Over on the match thread it seems Marv  has said 2 players are incoming this week please be 7 foot tall have experience be aggressive and can score goals is that asking too much .

Yep, as I sat there watching that first half master class in abject, pathetic (lack of) central defending I was thinking of you @Greenacres 🙂

7 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Tbh, that doesn’t sound particularly unusual. Searches and checks at football are usually quite cursory compared to big concerts, which have become draconian. I took my son to see Wu-Tang Clan at the Hydro in Glasgow a couple of months ago, and full airport-style checks including metal detectors were in operation. Not only that,  but stewards were actually inserting their hands directly into people’s pockets to check the contents, rather than asking them to disclose the contents or empty them out. They were also asking people to open up their specs cases and wallets and take out the contents. I told my son that if a steward attempted to put his hands into my pockets, or my son’s, I’d be demanding to speak to a supervisor and taking the matter further, but fortunately it didn’t happen in our case. I was quite vocal in expressing my opinion towards the stewards (many of the people they were intimately searching were just kids), and a number of people in the queue also spoke up in agreement. Had a steward attempted to search us in that fashion I’d have refused and made a complaint. There’s definitely a line that can be crossed, from effective and responsible stewarding and security to an invasion of privacy and a breach of civil liberties. From your description there, I’d say the steward was only doing his job. 

Tell them to fuq off. Stewards have no legal or statutory powers to search you without your consent. Even the police must have “reasonable grounds” to conduct a search. As for putting their hands in your pockets that is beyond creepy. 

5 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Tell them to fuq off. Stewards have no legal or statutory powers to search you without your consent. Even the police must have “reasonable grounds” to conduct a search. As for putting their hands in your pockets that is beyond creepy. 

Unfortunately venues also have no requirements to allow entry.  You can refuse a search, but that just means your not getting in.

21 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Unfortunately venues also have no requirements to allow entry.  You can refuse a search, but that just means your not getting in.

So let a steward rummage around in your pocket or don't get in. That doesn't sound right at all.

9 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Why do you have to be so aggressive if you don't want searched, if you have the right to refuse to be searched just say so, no need to tell anybody trying to do their job to f-off. 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I'm wondering if the steward's actions were simply to draw attention on here away from the out of date sign-in the car park.

^^^ What the man says ...

6 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I'm wondering if the steward's actions were simply to draw attention on here away from the out of date sign-in the car park.

The players managed that without the stewards needing to get involved!

Hibs have registered Johnson in the squad for our European game so I suspect he’ll be staying until the end of the month.

Hopefully after that he’s able to go back to you and get game time, very high hopes for him and I’ve been very impressed when I’ve seen him.

Is he likely to get a run of games or does Botteril seem to have the gloves?

2 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Hibs have registered Johnson in the squad for our European game so I suspect he’ll be staying until the end of the month.

Hopefully after that he’s able to go back to you and get game time, very high hopes for him and I’ve been very impressed when I’ve seen him.

Is he likely to get a run of games or does Botteril seem to have the gloves?

Personally we thought it was great fortune for Alloa because Johnson is good at playing out from the back. Jay Hogarth gave him a mention a few weeks back when I was talking to him about being a talent. Can't remember if he said best in the league but he might've just been having a dig at his brother at Falkirk😂

QoS tried to play out with Botterill and he looked shaky as did the rest of their defence. Johnson did it last year with Airdrie against us and we barely landed a glove on them and him. I'd be very surprised if Bartley wasn't expecting to use Johnson as number 1. They certainly - to their detriment - tried to play as if it was him in goals.

35 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Personally we thought it was great fortune for Alloa because Johnson is good at playing out from the back. Jay Hogarth gave him a mention a few weeks back when I was talking to him about being a talent. Can't remember if he said best in the league but he might've just been having a dig at his brother at Falkirk😂

QoS tried to play out with Botterill and he looked shaky as did the rest of their defence. Johnson did it last year with Airdrie against us and we barely landed a glove on them and him. I'd be very surprised if Bartley wasn't expecting to use Johnson as number 1. They certainly - to their detriment - tried to play as if it was him in goals.

I'm the opposite, I think Botterill will be preferred starter unless there's something in Johnston's loan agreement about appearances. I've only seen Johnston once for us, via stream at Elgin, and he had a tendency to want an extra touch on the ball, not good when being closed down. Even if he is arguably better than Botterill, if your defenders aren't comfortable on the ball playing out from the back even a top keeper can be made to look shaky. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So, two days left till the second league game ... not exactly hunners o new signings thus far. 🙄

Prove me wrong Marvin. 🤞

Think all targets have gone to Saudi so far!