The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

I’m afraid that he disappears for weeks on end if he gets any criticism on here.

Was actually going to post something similar, he doesn't appear to like to be criticised. Don't think he's even scanning other threads looking for people to correct. If he has indeed taken the huff, and I don't know if he has, it's a bit childish. Maybe his Masters at the Club have put a block on him of course. Hopefully it's a self imposed exile and not something serious. 

Folk take a break from posting for many reasons, and that's fine.  As @Fae_the_'briggs says, just hope there's no serious personal problems that's troubling him just now - some things are way more important than the fitba.

Often think we're pretty unique in having @Skyline Drifter posting regularly, not sure if there are other club staff who post on P&B (maybe one of the Alloa posters perhaps?).  He often provides helpful insights into the general administration of the game, not just for Queens but also on other club threads, and these are insights that we just wouldn't get via normal stuffy official club/league channels and it would be a shame if we deterred him from doing this.

Aye he can be a bit patronising at times, but that's possibly partly down to his position of having vastly more inside knowledge of the administrative aspects of the game and what's actually happening at his club than most fans do, so we can sometimes feel that we're back in the classroom getting telt by the teacher (ah, the memories ...).

Hope all's well SD.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Folk take a break from posting for many reasons, and that's fine.  As @Fae_the_'briggs says, just hope there's no serious personal problems that's troubling him just now - some things are way more important than the fitba.

Often think we're pretty unique in having @Skyline Drifter posting regularly, not sure if there are other club staff who post on P&B (maybe one of the Alloa posters perhaps?).  He often provides helpful insights into the general administration of the game, not just for Queens but also on other club threads, and these are insights that we just wouldn't get via normal stuffy official club/league channels and it would be a shame if we deterred him from doing this.

Aye he can be a bit patronising at times, but that's possibly partly down to his position of having vastly more inside knowledge of the administrative aspects of the game and what's actually happening at his club than most fans do, so we can sometimes feel that we're back in the classroom getting telt by the teacher (ah, the memories ...).

Hope all's well SD.

Hopefully SD is just taking a break.

He was at the Annan game I for one miss his factual posts many times I have got it wrong but he is not long correcting me .

One thing for sure Queens  would be lost without him..

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Hopefully SD is just taking a break.

He was at the Annan game I for one miss his factual posts many times I have got it wrong but he is not long correcting me .

One thing for sure Queens  would be lost without him..

I have no problem with being corrected if I'm wrong about something, or someone expressing a differing opinion, as long as it's not done in a condescending, sarcastic or "I know better than you", manner which imo SD's responses often are. 

And no one is indispensable no matter what they think (as I've found to my cost several times.)

23 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I have no problem with being corrected if I'm wrong about something, or someone expressing a differing opinion, as long as it's not done in a condescending, sarcastic or "I know better than you", manner which imo SD's responses often are. 

And no one is indispensable no matter what they think (as I've found to my cost several times.)

Aye, I've been "sent to the naughty step" a few times myself!  Think he just needs to lighten up a wee bit now and again.  Sometimes we take the fitba way too seriously - after 50 years of watching Queens, I've learned to see the funny side now and again.

SD's in a weird/unique position. He's no doubt a very keen fan who will have a lot of inside info and imho on some occasions overstep the mark in his eagerness to prove he's "in the know"  His head teacher type rebuffs aren't really needed. I would expect some at the club cringe at some of SD's posts.

There's no denying his knowledge of the rules and regulations are impressive though.

Having said all that I personally prefer it when he posts.

On 20/08/2023 at 00:22, qos_75 said:

Keeping on a positive note. The grass on the main stand roof is looking impressive. Lush, some might say.

IMG_1959.jpeg

The gutters are full and are ready to collapse.

They’re a health and safety hazard and an accident waiting to happen. 

Is it not the case that the old stand (which has a substantially wooden structure) now has a time-limited safety certificate in respect of fire risk?  Not sure, but I've been hearing this sort of thing off and on for a few seasons now (no doubt SD would know).  I'm pretty sure that the club won't have the funds to replace it (especially having recently refurbished the floodlight pylons, upgraded the floodlamps and replaced the pitch) in the short term - unless some sort of grant or lottery funding support might be available.  Anyone know anything here?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Is it not the case that the old stand (which has a substantially wooden structure) now has a time-limited safety certificate in respect of fire risk?  Not sure, but I've been hearing this sort of thing off and on for a few seasons now (no doubt SD would know).  I'm pretty sure that the club won't have the funds to replace it (especially having recently refurbished the floodlight pylons, upgraded the floodlamps and replaced the pitch) in the short term - unless some sort of grant or lottery funding support might be available.  Anyone know anything here?

Did we not get a grant which covered most of the cost of the pitch?

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It's probably you and your bizzare obsession with not updating signs that finally tipped him over the edge. 

It's not actually a bizarre obsession at all.  Given that I pass the sign each day, I manage to not mention it nearly all the time.   Others run with it more than me these days anyway.

Not sure why mentioning it troubles you, to be honest.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not actually a bizarre obsession at all.  Given that I pass the sign each day, I manage to not mention it nearly all the time.   Others run with it more than me these days anyway.

Your obsession with it has rather spoiled this thread at times TBH. 

6 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Your obsession with it has rather spoiled this thread at times TBH. 

Some posters have had a little sport with it.

I've been at pains to say it's not a big deal, but it's been irritating.  If some others aren't fans of it ever coming up, I'll live with it.  

Personally, I've really enjoyed the "Sign" chat ... I do my best to avoid taking life (and especially the fitba) too seriously these days, although I suspect my odd sense of humour isn't shared by many.

Still, you never know, one day Hollywood might even consider making a film of it ...

three-billboards-poster-2.jpg.b369c992b0a3425310af410bdc7f7ce8.jpg

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was an amusing distraction from the daily grind. I enjoyed reading the various posts. No harm done. 

It's been updated for the next home game already, seen it today. Had a smile on my way past. 

20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I argue with him a fair bit, but SD's a cracking poster.

Indeed he is.

Shame he's not a cracking bill poster too - if he was he could update the sign himself and we wouldn't need to involve the mysterious third party.