The Queen of the South thread

16 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

That's an excellent signing. As I've previously mentioned on here, there is a National League South club I occasionally do reports for and funnily enough I watched him score two in a game for Eastbourne last year, but then didn't write up my notes as the subsequent game with my club was rearranged. I seem to remember him giving the impression of being a complete player at that level, good with the ball at his feet, fast, tall and clinical. Not surprised he got the move up to Aldershot where he continued to score goals.

I do wonder why he's come here rather than go back out to an NL team or fight for a place in a struggling Colchester team.

It sounds as though we've paid a fee for him which is a nice indication of Marvin being backed.

Did he do much in possession?

Charts hate him, aside from thinking hes an unreal finisher, but unsure this is fair at all.

hutcvhy.thumb.png.8b58fa98831cda508ca63b64b96c78c3.png

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Charts hate him, aside from thinking hes an unreal finisher, but unsure this is fair at all.

Interesting. At the level we're at an ace finisher sounds just dandy. 

As you suggest the data might be unfair so time will tell what we've got. It's a signing that makes me optimistic though.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sounds very much what MB is looking for. He's already said publicly that he's let Reilly know he won't see much of the ball in his system but he better be in the right place at the right time. We aren't set up to have our striker the main source of attack either. It's very much the wide men who carry the attacking threat. If this lad can finish that may well be enough if our other attackers can find him when it matters. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Interesting. At the level we're at an ace finisher sounds just dandy. 

As you suggest the data might be unfair so time will tell what we've got. It's a signing that makes me optimistic though.

Time will tell, but if nothing else it seems like he knows where the back of the net is.  If he does nothing else but score goals on a regular basis he will do for me. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Sounds very much what MB is looking for. He's already said publicly that he's let Reilly know he won't see much of the ball in his system but he better be in the right place at the right time. We aren't set up to have our striker the main source of attack either. It's very much the wide men who carry the attacking threat. If this lad can finish that may well be enough if our other attackers can find him when it matters. 

Yeah that sounds ideal for him.

For reference someone like Kyogo at Celtic looks poor in the charts possession wise, purely because they're told not to bother doing anything there, so theres every chance Hutchinson has simply played that role elsewhere.

Be interested to see how he gets on/opinions on him.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I have just found the notepad with my handwritten notes in. It was Eastbourne 3-1 Dover on 3 September 2022. I was watching the whole team so focused on formations, patterns of play, etc so have limited data about any individual player, but this is what I have on Hutchinson:

• Eastbourne lined up in a 4-2-3-1, dropping to a 4-1-4-1 out of possession which collapsed into a 5-4 in the final third, with Hutchinson remaining high throughout the opposition build up and isolated from team-mates. This encouraged Eastbourne to play long clearances attempting to find Hutchinson on basically every recovery under pressure in the defensive third, although not always successfully.
  • In possession, when building from the back, the CAM and either full-backs or wide AMs would move alongside Hutchinson to create a forward line of four on the opposition defensive line.  The long ball was dangerous in this scenario, with the CAM or Hutchinson regularly winning first contact and able to flick it in behind for their counterpart. I noted that the flick-ons were very accurate/effective.
  • Eastbourne's other primary attacking pattern was to break quickly on transitions (especially in the second half when they pressed higher), with short quick passing between FBs and AMs, and passing in behind for Hutchinson to run onto and shoot. 

He was involved in all three goals: the first goal he took possession on the left wing from the LAM and crossed for the unmarked CAM to head in; second goal was a long ball over the top, flicked on by the CAM and finished first time by Hutchinson; third goal possession was won back high and passed in behind by the CAM, again finished first time by Hutchinson. 

That probably explain the charts, i.e. his game consisted of sitting high and either creating chances for the CAM or finishing first time when released in behind. 

One thing I will take back from my earlier post: my notes say that none of the Eastbourne players (therefore including Hutchinson) were especially tall.

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Depends on his levels of aggression.  We really need someone who constantly squares up to bus drivers and shop assistants.

I also worry that he lacks experience.

News is he has his steak very rare.

My only worry is, I make it we now have a first team squad of 25.  I'm sure Marvin knows exactly what he's doing but I think that's too many for this level and is one of the things WIllie Gibson was criticized for.  Does look a good squad on paper though, but so did Willie's this time last season.

9 hours ago, Slipmat said:

But is being a six-footer tall enough?

Was looking for closer to 7 feet but 6 will have to do .

Got some experience but is he aggressive time will tell .

2 year deal so Marvin must rate him highly.

That was a bit of excitement for deadline day night great stuff .

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Oh this sounds like a good days work. I do get the feeling our Marvin knows what he's doing ... when did we last have a manager with such a clear vision of what he wants?

Need to be careful Marvin doesn't show too much that he knows what he's doing or some big team will poach him before Christmas. 

(Sarc) 

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Oh this sounds like a good days work. I do get the feeling our Marvin knows what he's doing ... when did we last have a manager with such a clear vision of what he wants?

Allan Johnston 2012/13 put together an outstanding team/squad that was superb  Won trophies, could match Championship and Premier teams in Cups.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

My only worry is, I make it we now have a first team squad of 25.  I'm sure Marvin knows exactly what he's doing but I think that's too many for this level and is one of the things WIllie Gibson was criticized for.  Does look a good squad on paper though, but so did Willie's this time last season.

Quite correct. Bartley was critical of squad size when he came in.

1 minute ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Allan Johnston 2012/13 put together an outstanding team/squad that was superb  Won trophies, could match Championship and Premier teams in Cups.

Yep, a good core of seasoned pros who where the backbone of the team subsidised by a good crop of eager youngsters, many of them local.

I hope this young man does well but we need to wait and see. There is a pattern over the years that some people get over excited at a signing - or squad player - without seeing what they can do at 1st team level then when it doesn't work out as they expect they get on the players back.  For example, Stewart Kean.  I always knew he was never a clinical finisher or regular scorer but more a worker and strike partner but when we signed him some  seemed to think he was going to be prolific then when he wasn't they were on his case regularly.

Slightly different example, Emilio Jaconelli. Scored for fun in reserves and clamour for him to be in 1st team but never happened for him when selected.

Both examples of inflated , unrealistic expectations.  So , let's give this young man a chance and see how it goes - he is not a Dobbie or Lyle or  Andy Thomson yet !

41 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

37 minutes ago, bod said:

Yep, a good core of seasoned pros who where the backbone of the team subsidised by a good crop of eager youngsters, many of them local.

Quite an accomplishment from him considering he only had the best group of young players of our generation at his disposal and the biggest budget in the division. 

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

I make it 28 (excluding Wilson). I kind of expect Irving, Cowie, Currie, Burns and  Johnstone to go out on loan though. Wouldn't be surprised if McGuffie went as well, he seems to have fallen out of favour. 

4 loans in as well with Efe here until January. So it's perhaps understandable we have a couple of extra bodies in case some boys are recalled. I expect that's our business completed now though so hopefully these boys can get the job done for us. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Quite an accomplishment from him considering he only had the best group of young players of our generation at his disposal and the biggest budget in the division. 

Quite sad to see you cannot give genuine credit where it is due.  Even with the biggest budget and talent in the country you still have to bring it all together to produce results.

4 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Quite sad to see you cannot give genuine credit where it is due.  Even with the biggest budget and talent in the country you still have to bring it all together to produce results.

It was a great time. Sadly it would appear he's actually quite a shite manager and the circumstances appeared to be the reason behind his success rather than the man himself. No surprise to see no one has taken a punt on his services yet. 

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was a great time. Sadly it would appear he's actually quite a shite manager and the circumstances appeared to be the reason behind his success rather than the man himself. No surprise to see no one has taken a punt on his services yet. 

A bit harsh.

He definitely benefited from the tail wind you describe, and you're right about his subsequent record.

However, do we know that we had a bigger budget than Ayr?  They actually started the season as favourites.  

He did inherit good youngsters coming of age, but he also brought in players who did well for us, like Mitchell and Durnan.  Holding onto Clark was also a masterstroke most of us wouldn't have attempted.

Circumstances did favour him, but he also got a Hell of a lot right that year.