The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Personally, I welcome the lengthy interview because it's interesting and sheds some light on where we're at.

However, from a club perspective, it really is nuts to let that go out in full.  He's struggling in it and he just keeps digging, while his interviewer ably assists him.

Did he say he was getting the players in for training today?  If they've interrupted the gaming long enough to watch the interview, I can't imagine the atmosphere being great.

If they're coming in to training today maybe it's a "goodbye from me" meeting. 

9 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

...  It's already written in the script for you to get the new manager bounce against us and to beat us at NDP in 2 weeks time.

I wouldn't bloody bet on it, Ian ... you'll be fine, trust me!

Re-watching the interview, what struck me was that this is a man who has a second job in the media who should have some awareness about how to conduct himself during a post-match interview regardless of the circumstances.  Instead of a making a short statement and buggering off, Marvin being Marvin can't stop talking and we get are left with the QOS version of the Kevin Keegan "Love It" and Rafa Benitez "Fact" heads gone moments to treasure. 

I dread to think what the players will make of it.  Would love to be a fly on the wall at today's training session.

8 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I can't see anyway back for him after that but I don't see the sense in the club pointing a camera at him and making him do a 15 minute long interview when emotions are running high and he's likely to say things he really shouldn't.

^^^ This - poor judgement by the club there (also shows the very top level of the club not managing a difficult situation).  You have to feel for Marvin being made to do that interview at such a raw moment - I'd have told the camera man to go forth ...

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Don't worry ... we won't be FT much longer ...

I really wouldn't see PT as being a backward step. We would be in the market for the best PT players rather than the worst FT ones and having seen a lot of PT players the last few seasons, they all seem to be as fit as our players as well as look like they actually give a f**k. Give me that over our spineless "professionals" all day long. 

Edited by 19QOS19

Just now, Otis Blue said:

^^^ This - poor judgement by the club there (also shows the very top level of the club not managing a difficult situation).  You have to feel for Marvin being made to do that interview at such a raw moment - I'd have told the camera man to go forth ...

I agree re the Club allowing that type of interview to go public but I get the feeling that Marvin was a willing participant - he just wanted to let it all out.... and he did !

Re Marvin's interview - I think you can be quite media savvy/experienced as he obviously is, but the few minutes immediately after a bad loss is usually a very emotional moment for any manager at any level and at such times common sense can easily go out the window.  This was poor judgement from Marvin for participating in it, but probably more so very poor judgement by the club in the way it was handled and in even publishing it (was it even vetted/edited by the club's top level management prior to publishing?).

I thought a very telling point was where Marvin (almost accepting and acknowledging the inevitable) said that he doubted that an incoming manager could get much more out of those players.  I think he actually hit the nail on the proverbial head there - it's hardly going to be an attractive prospect for any new manager that he'll have to work with such a poor squad with only minor adjustments possible in January.

These are truly dire times at Palmy.

Edited by Otis Blue

10 hours ago, Artemis said:

Right - I was playing Xbox in an ice bath, hurt my back after eating a piece, fell down the stairs because my legs had stiffened up from standing too long coaching then I slept in.

😂 The only thing to do with this mess, is find a funny side.

It's that desperate.

Tbf ... at least all this wailing and gnashing of teeth from us Queens fans is providing good entertainment for the P&B community on a boring cold damp dismal November Sunday morning.  We are useful after all ...

My guess is he is in with them today to say bye to the players and something would be announced tonight. That interview was genuinely horrific and I do feel sorry for him but there’s no way back when he’s saying what he said. 

No way can he survive with any credibility after that interview.  It’s clear where the problem is at your club - him.  

He’s been there nearly a full year, and had two transfer windows.  So be has to take responsibility for the players that are there, they’re his choices.

His public condemnation of half his team there in this rant says to me he can’t manage his emotions.  He’s chosen to go into slate the player mode at a time when he needs them the most.  Whether it’s true or not about the examples of lack of professionalism, it’s up to him as manager to work out how to deal with the faults.   If they aren’t listening to his instruction that’s totally down to him and his management methods. 

He actually sounds like an old school manager with this stuff which is what really surprised me.   And all this patter about being a manager being all encompassing and the amount you work and how hard he works - total crap.  Hours worked does not equal success.  Effective use of time does.  You can work hard but you also have to set an example to your team, including time off for yourself and your own well-being.  

That’s not to say he doesn’t care - it’s almost the opposite, he’s been swallowed up by how big the job is.  He looks utterly shattered and sounds end of his tether.  Either he has to quit or your board needs to put him out his misery.  

10 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

100% agree, I don’t think certain players give a flying f**k about the club tbh. 

I don't think most players care about ehatever club they play for, it's a job. You would want them  however, to be professional and care about their career and their performances. Shouldn't be hard to give your everything every game. Surely that's what being a professional is all about. 

36 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

A little bit unfair on the Club there , I think.

I don't think Marvin is the type to be forced to do anything he doesn't wan to. I think he knows how dire the situation is and the consequences and wanted the opportunity to put his side of things.

Can you imagine the reaction if there had been no interview ?