The Queen of the South thread

First time back at the hole* of football since November today.  Think I'll be taking another couple of months off after that showing.  I've never seen as many so-called professional footballers who don't seem to possess the basic ability to pass the ball to a team-mate.  I'm starting to question if they do any ball-work in training, or do they just watch endless videos of the previous match and the next opponents (even the latter is questionable), fall of a chair and be dragged kicking and screaming into an ice-bath?  Bartley just can't resist not giving Gibson a full game.  Today may not have been his best performance, but when you are two goals down going into the last 15 minutes Gibson for me is not the player who should be getting hooked.  Last word:  It may not be fashionable or in the modern day coaching manual, but could Bartley, maybe just once, for a laugh, start a game with two strikers on the pitch?

* not a typo

Edited by Slipmat

15 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

First time back at the hole* of football since November today.  Think I'll be taking another couple of months off after that showing.  I've never seen as many so-called professional footballers who don't seem to possess the basic ability to pass the ball to a team-mate.  I'm starting to question if they do any ball-work in training, or do they just watch endless videos of the previous match and the next opponents (even the latter is questionable), fall of a chair and be dragged kicking and screaming into an ice-bath?  Bartley just can't resist not giving Gibson a full game.  Today may not have been his best performance, but when you are two goals down going into the last 15 minutes Gibson for me is not the player who should be getting hooked.  Last word:  It may not be fashionable or in the modern day coaching manual, but could Bartley, maybe just once, for a laugh, start a game with two strikers on the pitch?

* not a typo

I think Gibson may have had cramp as shown in the post match photos. 

Agree however, Marvin’s decisions are laughable sometimes. He is clueless

The sooner he’s out the better- he should stick to his stupid punditry career.

My thoughts on today is, since last week's interview MB, in Standard, Courier, local radio talked about immediately starting to look at game plan for Hamilton. Can anyone tell me what it was he came up with?

It must have been to contain Hamilton, allow them the ball in their own half by not pressing (did you see how Hamilton press all afternoon put us under immediately pressure), leave space in full back positions by pushing Gibson and Logan up,  give Hamilton midfielders freedom of the park.

Other plan was to lump high balls to a lone striker who never had a team mate within 30 yards of him, if we somehow get ball into opposition half it must immediately be played backwards to allow Hamilton to get their team into position

If we go two goals down maybe bring on an extra striker

37 minutes ago, cloudysmoke8 said:

I agree he should be binned. However, the board  have demonstrated (for a number of years) that they have as much clue at choosing a manager, as they have about running a successful low-level football club. 

Ultimately we currently have a shit team, and a shit football club. The bright side is that life moves on, and at some stage so will those that are now in charge. 

Edited by qos_75

36 minutes ago, cloudysmoke8 said:

Fair enough if Gibson just couldn't continue.  I suppose that's the risk you take playing a player who you never give the full 90 to as wingback.

53 minutes ago, queenslad said:

My thoughts on today is, since last week's interview MB, in Standard, Courier, local radio talked about immediately starting to look at game plan for Hamilton. Can anyone tell me what it was he came up with?

Yip, there's a certain irony in his repeated assertion that the performances we're getting treated to, are products of meticulous planning.

Every game I genuinely get more worried about the club. The heart for today was hoping for a decent performance at least and at the push get a point.  The key is the 'perfomance'. Sadly both were missing and thats what stops those 'will I go or won't I'' fans from going to Palmerston. When the attendances drop the future is a muddy path to manipulate as we must be now losing  a fortune in gate receipts.  The stadium is degrading week by week, the fans are dwindling week by week and that from a business point of view is gravely concerning for the budget for next season for the inevitble rebuild (again). 

Toying with a play off place, MB's ability to talk with a sprinkling of an away win is obviously keeping the board's belief in him but I fully believe that we have missed a trick by not bringing in a fresh management team for the turn of the year to push for the 4th spot.  Most fans are now just looking at their watches asking if its the end of the season yet, and more and more can't be bothered to physically attend the games.  This in itself has a massive knock on for next year and it is only up to the board now to stand up and do something to keep the fans from disappearing. Now what 'that' is, I don't know? being visable? communicating? tidying up the stadium? Now as much as these are not influential on the pitch, it goes somewhat to to bridging the gap between Boardroom and Terrace which at the moment is non existant.  This is where we are badly missing an SLO side to things but that in itself highlights the relationshop in that no one wants to take the position up, again due to the clubs unablity to constructively engage with the old SLO crew.  Talking communications, the lynchpin for me is Danny Armstrong and he seems also to be getting more of a say in how things are working on the commercial side which is good to say.  I feel that it is a matter of time before he gets an official board room position which is nothing more than deserved.  Sadly one man can't tie everything in together, not for the lack of effort as he literally is involved all over the place.

Sort the stadium out
Sort the communications out (and proactively work with an SLO, don't just make it an appointment without a voice)
Train more at Palmerston

9 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Fair enough if Gibson just couldn't continue.  I suppose that's the risk you take playing a player who you never give the full 90 to as wingback.

Gibson is wasted as a wingback and on his weaker side. Had to come off though as obviously couldn’t go on. 

I'm finding the egocentric nature of this 'gameplan' stuff irritating.

Again, he seems to gauge performance by some perceived adherence to his plan or otherwise.  Meanwhile, the rest of us stick with outmoded measures, like results, league tables and the strain on our boredom thresholds.  

His recruitment has been lousy and his deployment of resources questionable.  Yet he talks as if we're bumping along quite decently.

I'm not suggesting this level is beneath us - comparable clubs like Ayr and Raith and Morton  have spent relatively recent time here, as have demonstrably bigger ones like Falkirk and Dunfermline.  However, I am pointing out that we've spent the vast bulk of this century in the one above, and it's where we very realistically aspire to be.  I sometimes wonder if Bartley knows this, given how he sets us up and talks.

The way things are going on and off the park I can see things being sorted in the not to distant future.

There'll be a lovely new housing development where once we had a football ground and we'll be ground sharing with Lochar.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Again, he seems to gauge performance by some perceived adherence to his plan or otherwise.  Meanwhile, the rest of us stick with outmoded measures, like results, league tables and the strain on our boredom thresholds.  

His recruitment has been lousy and his deployment of resources questionable.  Yet he talks as if we're bumping along quite decently.

I'm not suggesting this level is beneath us - comparable clubs like Ayr and Raith and Morton  have spent relatively recent time here, as have demonstrably bigger ones like Falkirk and Dunfermline.  However, I am pointing out that we've spent the vast bulk of this century in the one above, and it's where we very realistically aspire to be.  I sometimes wonder if Bartley knows this, given how he sets us up and talks.

That is a great post and encapsulates the position brilliantly. As you say it is very old fashioned of us all to think about results and league tables but I would also throw in some entertaining football as another decent barometer. While no supporter wants to live with endless defeats at least if the football is entertaining you can take some comfort from the fact that you have enjoyed the match day experience.

While I guess it may have some relevance I am not really that interested if our defensive midfielder has drifted 10 yards out of his “patrolling zone” and not stuck rigidly to the “plan”. I am, however, expecting a FT squad of over 25 players in L1 to be able to get on the front foot and look as if we are setting out to dominate the ball, create chances and score goals. We are incidentally hopeless at all of those key success factors. Rather than waste endless amounts of time concocting futile game plans Bartley could get his players to watch what great teams do to win matches and try to replicate it as best we can at out our level. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Spot on.  That's all he talks about.  Never any mention of the impact on fans experience or the understandable reluctance of people to spend money to watch what is on offer

It is really concerning to see several posters on here expressing their feelings of dissatisfaction, frustration and approaching apathy.  Completely understandable but he doesn't seem to get it.

I have been going long enough to realise - and have witnessed before - that QOS will always have spells similar to this but this seems one of the worst, although bizarrley we are not far off 4th which I think is what he hangs on to.

The other side is though, that matters to fans, is our disastrous Home form.  Only 3 wins against the bottom two is dreadful. Never any mention of that from Bartley, no reference made yesterday , in an interview that was complete waffle , of yet another 3 points lost at Home. That is what drives people away.

I cannot see any positives from his tenure - poor recruitment, lack of communication, inneffective coaching - he might think he is doing the right things - but it doesn't come through in performance or more importantly in results.  Poor man management and deployment of talented forward thinking players who seem bound by defensive duties.  Whenever did JR or Ted McMinn have to  be focussed on defending.  You play them to entertain, create and score goals.

I could go on but just want to point out that I am not attending games at the moment - for reasons other than those mentioned - some might say that is a blessing in disguise - but I have family and friends who do who keep me informed as well as my following folks thoughts on here.

Even if we were to make top 4- which I strongly doubt - I think Bartley should go at season end, preferably before.  He has demonstrated he is not the right man to take us forward nor provide a style and approach that is attractive for people to watch.

21 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

That is a great post and encapsulates the position brilliantly. As you say it is very old fashioned of us all to think about results and league tables but I would also throw in some entertaining football as another decent barometer. While no supporter wants to live with endless defeats at least if the football is entertaining you can take some comfort from the fact that you have enjoyed the match day experience.

While I guess it may have some relevance I am not really that interested if our defensive midfielder has drifted 10 yards out of his “patrolling zone” and not stuck rigidly to the “plan”. I am, however, expecting a FT squad of over 25 players in L1 to be able to get on the front foot and look as if we are setting out to dominate the ball, create chances and score goals. We are incidentally hopeless at all of those key success factors. Rather than waste endless amounts of time concocting futile game plans Bartley could get his players to watch what great teams do to win matches and try to replicate it as best we can at out our level. 

Two good posts which pretty much sum everything up.

The only plus for me yesterday (clutching at straws for any positives!) is that we seem a bit stronger physically as a team than at the start if the season, although Johnstone, Connolly and Ferguson are still too lightweight for this league.  Brydon was my MoM; strong, competent  and can't fault his effort and willingness to try to sort that mess out.

Some of the guys in the enclosure need to take a good look at themselves though - the offensive language being shouted in the second half when the enclosure was filling with kids and parents (seeking autographs at full-time) was ridiculous and belongs in a bygone age.  Fair enough shouting your displeasure (and the performance was truly awful and frustrating), but screaming shouts like 'useless f***ing pr**k' and similar language have no place in a public sports venue with kids about. I'm not offended (been around long enough, and remember the days when it was much worse) but I was embarrassed for those families that were there.

No doubt that'll be a few more kids and parents not returning 😐. Come on lads, I know the team were dreadful but get a grip of yourselves and show a wee bit of respect.

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

As you say it is very old fashioned of us all to think about results and league tables but I would also throw in some entertaining football as another decent barometer. 

Yes, I totally agree.

That's what I was getting at when I referred to our boredom thresholds.

Now, I think we all get it with football.  When you choose to go to a football match you know fine well that it might be a poor game, and that your preferred team might play badly and piss you off.  It's not like going to a gig by a band or a comic you like, where you can be pretty confident you'll enjoy yourself.

We get it that with football it's different.  It's the uncertainty that's attractive.  The lousy bits help make the good times meaningful.  When you resist the juvenile appeal of the OF, you know what you're signing up to, and that at times, you'll wonder why you bother.  

Having said all that though, there's a reasonable expectation that it'll sometimes be exciting, engaging, even beautiful on the odd occasion.  Our difficulty right now is that it's almost never any of these things.

I'm less committed than many on here, confining my attendance pretty much to home games.  I was at St Mirren the other week and might go to Annan soon, having been away on holiday in October, but I don't travel much.  Maybe if I'd gone to Montrose, or even to Cove last week, I'd see it a bit differently, but the reality is that I virtually don't ever enjoy going to Queens games now.  Genuine 'out of your seat' moments are just so bloody rare.

I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. As others have noted, however, I don't think such feeling is remotely factored in to what Bartley is trying to do with us.  

Yet again, It's a question of longing for this season to fizzle out, so we can look to the next one and pray for something different.  Any upturn would buck a trend that's now stretching to 4 or 5 seasons long.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I totally agree.

That's what I was getting at when I referred to our boredom thresholds.

Now, I think we all get it with football.  When you choose to go to a football match you know fine well that it might be a poor game, and that your preferred time might play badly and piss you off.  It's not like going to a gig by a band or a comic you like, where you can be pretty confident you'll enjoy yourself.

We get it that with football it's different.  It's the uncertainty that's attractive.  The lousy bits help make the good times meaningful.  When you resist the juvenile appeal of the OF, you know what you're signing up to, and that at times, you'll wonder why you bother.  

Having said all that though, there's a reasonable expectation that it'll sometimes be exciting, engaging, even beautiful on the odd occasion.  Our difficulty right now is that it's almost never any of these things.

I'm less committed than many on here, confining my attendance pretty much to home games.  I was at St Mirren the other week and might go to Annan soon, having been away on holiday in October, but I don't travel much.  Maybe if I'd gone to Montrose, or even to Cove last week, I'd see it a bit differently, but the reality is that I virtually don't ever enjoy going to Queens games now.  Genuine 'out of your seat' moments are just so bloody rare.

I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. As others have noted, however, I don't think such feeling is remotely factored in to what Bartley is trying to do with us.  

Yet again, It's a question of longing for this season to fizzle out, so we can look to the next one and pray for something different.  Any upturn would buck a trend that's now stretching to 4 or 5 seasons long.

And in that spell of 4 or 5 poor seasons the cry from the fans seems to have gone along the same lines of writing the season off and regrouping for the next season, yet each season  just seems to get worse with no apparent recovery plan in place, and no outward signs that those in charge are even that bothered about the obvious overall decline of the Club. 

I've just been reading Matt Dawson's thoughts on the England rugby team scraping a win against Italy in the Six Nations yesterday.  A couple of quotes stood out:

"you need to run the opposition off their feet so they have nowhere to go. England slowed it down and went through their kicking options and I was disappointed to see them revert back to type."

"you can tell what England have been doing throughout the week and they are just following that plan without feeling the opposition or the context of the game."

"it looked like they went straight to the training ground and did what the coaches had told them"

"England were not stretching Italy to tire them and score"

"you can understand why he did not want to make too many mistakes because he was trying too hard."

Starting to wonder if Dawson was actually talking about every Queens display this season!

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

I've just been reading Matt Dawson's thoughts on the England rugby team scraping a win against Italy in the Six Nations yesterday.  A couple of quotes stood out:

"you need to run the opposition off their feet so they have nowhere to go. England slowed it down and went through their kicking options and I was disappointed to see them revert back to type."

"you can tell what England have been doing throughout the week and they are just following that plan without feeling the opposition or the context of the game."

"it looked like they went straight to the training ground and did what the coaches had told them"

"England were not stretching Italy to tire them and score"

"you can understand why he did not want to make too many mistakes because he was trying too hard."

Starting to wonder if Dawson was actually talking about every Queens display this season!

The difference being that England's rugby team won, and indeed often do.