The Queen of the South thread

Genuine question here.  Does anyone know what's happened to Charlie "one game per season" Cowie?  I can't recall him being involved with the first team squad since Stone arrived, in fact I'm not sure if he's even getting games with the reserves.  Did he ever go back out on loan somewhere?  He's always looked like being a decent back-up keeper to me, but he seems to have fallen off the radar.

34 minutes ago, bod said:

Congratulations to Dan Armstrong. 👏👏

Just when you think things can't get much worse a club employee goes and gets his photo taken with a Tory minister and MP.  Opposition fans will lap that up!

Seriously though, well done Dan.  One of the good guys.  

Edited by Slipmat

39 minutes ago, bod said:

Congratulations to Dan Armstrong. 👏👏

Aye, forget the politics, well done to Dan and his team for great work in the community - he's a credit to the club and nice to have a positive story coming out of Palmerston for a change. 👍👏👍

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Genuine question here.  Does anyone know what's happened to Charlie "one game per season" Cowie?  I can't recall him being involved with the first team squad since Stone arrived, in fact I'm not sure if he's even getting games with the reserves.  Did he ever go back out on loan somewhere?  He's always looked like being a decent back-up keeper to me, but he seems to have fallen off the radar.

Charlie Cowie had knee surgery last year his leg is in a brace.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

I will get pelters for mentioning this. It's not a question anyone really wants to ask, but I think it every time I see how well our community work is doing. Is there any evidence this actually benefits the club? Dan's clearly v hard working, talented, and enthusiastic about the community stuff. He's also the commercial manager but that side of the club doesn't seem to be doing anywhere near as well, and I only ever hear of his work in the context of non-profit bearing activities. 

Alright lads, coming in peace here.  I was prompted to have a look in to see what your thoughts are on Marvin so far.  I heard him on the BBC Scotland podcast the other day after your defeat v Hamilton, and thought he came across as flippant about your current placing and performances.  I’m not surprised to read some of the comments match my expectation - that he is struggling to keep support onside.    From the outside looking in, surely he can’t have many poor results left before a decision has to be made?

10 minutes ago, parsboi said:

Alright lads, coming in peace here.  I was prompted to have a look in to see what your thoughts are on Marvin so far.  I heard him on the BBC Scotland podcast the other day after your defeat v Hamilton, and thought he came across as flippant about your current placing and performances.  I’m not surprised to read some of the comments match my expectation - that he is struggling to keep support onside.    From the outside looking in, surely he can’t have many poor results left before a decision has to be made?

Worst manager we've had in a long, long time. Talks well, but very repetitive with the bull s#it.

Should have gone before the window. You can have him if you want, we won't want compensation. In fact we'll throw in a few of his signings for free.

Edited by bod

32 minutes ago, bod said:

Worst manager we've had in a long, long time. Talks well, but very repetitive with the bull s#it.

Should have gone before the window. You can have him if you want, we won't want compensation. In fact we'll throw in a few of his signings for free.

Hmm tempting, but no.  I’m not quite off the McPake bus just yet, im thinking more blame on our board for not backing him with signing experienced players that we are crying out for.

I don’t even think he (Bartley) talks that well tbh, when I listen to him I just can’t imagine your players being able to pay attention for more than 5 mins before zoning out like f**k.  And a lot of what he says is just nonsense or cliched.   It’s a shame it’s not working out but at what point is the trigger pulled?  Right now has a feel of dead man walking.

Edited by parsboi

1 hour ago, parsboi said:

Alright lads, coming in peace here.  I was prompted to have a look in to see what your thoughts are on Marvin so far.  I heard him on the BBC Scotland podcast the other day after your defeat v Hamilton, and thought he came across as flippant about your current placing and performances.  

I just listened to his comments at the start of the BBC Podcast there, and yet more seethe has been unleashed.

"Flippant" is precisely the word to describe his take.  He's dismissive of our latest dismal defeat at home, saying that for him It's about performances , and there were positives.  He then kept jokily trying to steer it back to Arsenal because that's who he supports despite coming from Reading. 

That gormless balloon, Jonathan Sutherland didn't help by saying that we're not getting relegated, so the play-offs are the target.  Bartley happily agreed, saying he doesn't care where we are now - we just want into the top four in May.  

Well Marvin, I'm afraid I do care that we're 7th in February having played two games more than the sides round us, because it makes the top four in May very unlikely.

Even this notion of the play-offs being our target pisses me off.  Yes, It's become our long shot target now, but at the outset, it was the very least of our aspirations.  I accept that if Falkirk finally got an act together, we'd not keep pace, but there's no valid reason as to why we're so shit compared to most of the rest.

There's probably self preservation, even bravado, at play here, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed that Bartley seems to think this is ok.  It isn't, and if he needs told that, someone should do it.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I just listened to his comments at the start of the BBC Podcast there, and yet more seethe has been unleashed.

"Flippant" is precisely the word to describe his take.  He's dismissive of our latest dismal defeat at home, saying that for him It's about performances , and there were positives.  He then kept jokily trying to steer it back to Arsenal because that's who he supports despite coming from Reading. 

That gormless balloon, Jonathan Sutherland didn't help by saying that we're not getting relegated, so the play-offs are the target.  Bartley happily agreed, saying he doesn't care where we are now - we just want into the top four in May.  

Well Marvin, I'm afraid I do care that we're 7th in February having played two games more than the sides round us, because it makes the top four in May very unlikely.

Even this notion of the play-offs being our target pisses me off.  Yes, It's become our long shot target now, but at the outset, it was the very least of our aspirations.  I accept that if Falkirk finally got an act together, we'd not keep pace, but there's no valid reason as to why we're so shit compared to most of the rest.

There's probably self preservation, even bravado, at play here, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed that Bartley seems to think this is ok.  It isn't, and if he needs told that, someone should do it.

He was talking about the relegation play-off Shirley?

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

From the outside looking in, surely he can’t have many poor results left before a decision has to be made?

You would think so and were it up to me he’d be long gone but I’ll be very surprised if he’s not in charge at QOS next season. Our board/chairman will be loathe to sack him given he’s contracted to May 2025. IMHO he’ll get another summer to recruit and will only be sacked towards the end of the year should next season be as bad as this one (or worse!). It’s a depressing state of affairs. 

39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Apologies for any extra seethe caused.   To be fair when I heard that chat between him and Sutherland about “safe from relegation” it took a second to realise relegation from League 1 ffs.  

1 hour ago, parsboi said:

Apologies for any extra seethe caused.   To be fair when I heard that chat between him and Sutherland about “safe from relegation” it took a second to realise relegation from League 1 ffs.  

Yep, it's a dismal state of affairs.  As others have said, the BOD won't ditch him because it will cost them money to do so as he's on a two year contract so we're stuck with him.  At the very least I'd have expected the Chairman/BOD to take him to one side and tell him that the style of play isn't good enough, the level of ambition isn't good enough and the results aren't good enough so you need to change what you're doing.  Sadly, the evidence just screams that the BOD are fine with the current level of mediocrity provided we don't get into relegation trouble ... and yes, as you rightly highlight, that would indeed be relegation from League 1 to League fecking 2.  The disconnect between the club and the fans is now as wide as I can remember, almost as bad as the infamous Harkness era.

I know the club will be aware of the views expressed by Queens fans on platforms like P&B (at least one club "official" reads it as we know), but I'm sure they just view these Queens fans as sad internet trolls with nothing better to do.  Well, if that's the case then maybe they should ... pass on the prawn sandwiches and try sitting/standing beside the few remaining freezing cash-paying fans at the next home game, or alternatively look at the league table and home game statistics.  This fitba lark ain't rocket science, it's not that complicated and nor is it hard to see when something's not working.

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

What is the name of this podcast? Can't find it on BBC sounds.

11 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Probably a bit early but looking at what Queens need for 4th.
Last season, Alloa finished 4th on 57 points. This season, it is looking like 51 points could  be enough. Building in a bit of “insurance” let’s say 53 points is the target. That means Queens would need 26 points from their last 13 games. In the first half of the season, they got 14 points from the equivalent fixtures. 
They will need to go from first half of the season results of
P13 W4 D2 L7 Pts 14 
to something like
P13 W8 D2 L3 Pts 26.

Even if the target is 51 points, they need something like P13 W7 D3 L3 Pts 24.

They can really only afford to lose 3 games and if one of those games includes Alloa away, the job will probably be even more difficult. 
As I say, a bit early for this. Once everybody has caught up their games in hand and we’re into the last quarter it might be a bit clearer.

Good analysis thanks. 

From a Queens point of view I think that's a tough ask to transform your form enough to double the wins you get in 13 games from 4 to 8. So play offs up the way looks like a very tough ask. Different if it was the first few games of the season and things are still being worked on, but now we are 2/3 of the way through the season, the window is closed, I just don't see it. Bartleys lucky, in terms of his job, that he has not 1 but 2 teams below that will avoid any relegation downwards pressure.

Having seen yourselves and Alloa, I think Alloa are the better side (and have games in hand), their players (the game against us aside) seem well organised and want to play for their manager. I didn't fancy Bartley from the start of the season, I have a real issue with managers who don't call it as it is.  There isn't much between that group of 5 teams in the middle, but Alloa have impressed me most. Montrose are on an uncharacteristically poor run of form and Kelty, Stirling and yourselves seem to be matching each other most weeks. Cove could of course come back into the mix too, if Fyvie doesn't get fit soon. Their form has been horrific and they've played a couple of more games than the teams beneath them, so that 5 point gap is sure to close.

From a selfish statistical point of view I was interested to see that you think 53 points will be enough for the play offs, given my own team are currently on 56 points that's great to know we've made the play offs already just into February. You might think that's a given, but we've failed to even make the play offs a couple of times in this league already!

43 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Don’t know if this has been asked before but did Hewitson actively support the club before he took charge?

He almost certainly wasn't attending matches until the early 2000s, as he played regularly for Dalbeattie Star and Blackwood Dynamos/Crichton in the South of Scotland League until then.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

You'll find it on the BBC Sounds website under Radio Scotland, its called the Scottish Football Podcast, broadcast date 5 Feb 2024.  Link below ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h90yb5

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Marvin's asked near the start of the podcast how the game went on Saturday. He's totally dismissive of it, talking about performance (aye right ...) over the result.  It's as if he doesn't give a f*ck about the job, there's no pain or hurt there at all.  It's all about don't measure me now, measure me at the end of the season to see if we've got into 4th place.  In other words get off my case and give me a free ride until then.  When anyone watching the league table, the declining fixtures remaining and the way the team plays just now can easily see its not happening.  The BOD should at least be having a word with their man.

Edited by Otis Blue