The Queen of the South thread

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Who is selecting the new manager? The outgoing Board or the new Board of Director? 

The 'old' board will certainly have a say I'd imagine. Even with the new BoD appointed the old one will still be around for a transition period no doubt. 

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Sacking a manager but letting said manager get some excuses in your public statement is certainly something.

Tbh, given Bartley's connection with the media he'd have just spun it that way nationally if the club hadn't allowed him to make a statement. I fully expect within a couple of weeks or so he'll have something written about him and how it was a "learning curve" for him but obviously not his fault he was a massive failure. 

Edited by 19QOS19

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbh, given Bartley's connection with the media he'd have just spun it that way nationally if the club hadn't allowed him to make a statement. I fully expect within a couple of weeks or so he'll have something written about him and how it was a "learning curve" for him but obviously not his fault he was a massive failure. 

It'll definitely be a game of bs excuses bingo

Injuries 

Low budget 

Players 

Internet trolls

13 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

This is my huge concern.... Surely if the board is adding more directors, they would be pretty miffed if there was a manager in place already and chosen by the departing board minus JM...... Are we going to be tortured enough waiting on a board being assembled all summer before new manager (in true queens fashion) in recruited? 

Or are the board sitting in the wings, awaiting the tick in the box from SPFL, new manager has been identified and its just paperwork to complete everything.... which would be massively unlike us and a huge bonus so the manager can have the down time to select his squad...

We can't sign players until they know who they are playing for, we can't sign a manager unless he knows who he's working for...... or will we see anymore board changes????

Pretty much every take-over or board change happens with a manager in place. Sometimes they stay in post, sometimes the new board bring in their own choice.

Are you saying that if Bartley had been sacked after the AGM the old board couldnt bring a new manager in, just in case the new board didnt like them?

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

It'll definitely be a game of bs excuses bingo

Injuries 

Low budget 

Players 

Internet trolls

Yes, agreed, and without even a hint of any personal failure.

I'm just so relieved that he is gone. I must admit that I was really starting to worry about him still being with us next season.

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Glad you guys secured safety and ousted your manager (eventually)!

Can't say I've enjoyed being in this league for the past 5 years, and am looking forward to going up, but there are a lot of great clubs and fans in this league, and I'd definitely include Queens as one of those.

Like many I thought Queens would be up challenging this season, but from the early Bartley interviews I was worried for you. Can't believe you finished only 2 points above the wrong play offs (and an astonishing 49 points behind us!).

I genuinely hope you get a decent manager in, better board and have a much better season next.

Falkirk took more points in each half of the season than Queens did in the whole thing -46 in the first half; 44 in the second.
If Falkirk had lost all 18 games in 2024 (including the 2 v Queens) then Queens would have finished one point above them.

12 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Pretty much every take-over or board change happens with a manager in place. Sometimes they stay in post, sometimes the new board bring in their own choice.

Are you saying that if Bartley had been sacked after the AGM the old board couldnt bring a new manager in, just in case the new board didnt like them?

You've pretty much answered your own question in that 'sometimes' they bring in their own man.... however you are correct in that normally there is a bum on seat usually... this is a much different case in that he's gone so if it was myself coming in with a new group of directors, you would hope that you had a say in the start of something new and fresh... what happened if the new board didn't like the new manager... would they have to pay out to replace him?

This just leads to my thought that we won't see much change in the board for next season as obviously no one else bar Mr McLinden has been accepted

In regards to the sacking at AGM then of course there wouldn't have been a manager in place, probably someone put in until the end of the season to tie in with the boards departure (or not departure)

5 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

Certainly going to be an interesting close season..... 

I hope that the rumours aren't correct in that the board won't change much more and in effect JM is just a replacement for the departing MB. We need new life breathed in from top to bottom so the manager stands a change.  With such a disconnect from Boardroom to Terrace and disharmony the pressure on immediate results of the new manager are key... when you have a happy fan base that feel wanted... you can get away with things a bit longer.

If you had asked me after the AGM what I would want for this coming season... It would easily have been a new localised board, possibly Murphy as manager (personally think he's done well keeping Annan in League 1 with a hell of a less budget than us and understands youths), Del Lyle Assistant (heard he'd be open to return to us... and good for Fan connection).  Board can instigate no more than 17 senior players to be signed, then we rely on Reserve and what would have been the Tanner Fund for back up... Sadly, whatever has happened with the Tanner has happened and now just relying on the wish of local based businessmen joining the board... which is diminishing... I did hope that when I saw a certain local businessman stand away from the Tanner, that there was a move to the board for him... we shall see? however I don't think thats the case as they wouldn't have folded the fund completely 😞 

Murphy will be perfect for QOS as you desire. 

53 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

You've pretty much answered your own question in that 'sometimes' they bring in their own man.... however you are correct in that normally there is a bum on seat usually... this is a much different case in that he's gone so if it was myself coming in with a new group of directors, you would hope that you had a say in the start of something new and fresh... what happened if the new board didn't like the new manager... would they have to pay out to replace him?

This just leads to my thought that we won't see much change in the board for next season as obviously no one else bar Mr McLinden has been accepted

In regards to the sacking at AGM then of course there wouldn't have been a manager in place, probably someone put in until the end of the season to tie in with the boards departure (or not departure)

The board said at the AGM that they would all leave at the end of May .

In order to say that they must have replacements lined up to take over otherwise why say it .

Are you saying that Hewitson is trying to come back as some kind of hero as nobody else wants to join the board .

One thing for sure  we need the new board sorted quickly then we can move forward with a new manager .

Murphy best friends with our new director even go on hoilday together that to me makes him a strong favourite for the job.

Me I would take McCall he has the experience we need 

2 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Murphy will be perfect for QOS as you desire. 

Not for me has not the experience we need unless we try the hybrid model which means we could pick up the likes of Goss etc.from Annan .

You have a ready made manager in Wullie Gibson if Murphy leaves 

24 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Not for me has not the experience we need unless we try the hybrid model which means we could pick up the likes of Goss etc.from Annan .

Annan with Gibson in charge and QOS with Goss up front.  What a nightmare scenario for football in the South West.

50 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

The board said at the AGM that they would all leave at the end of May .

In order to say that they must have replacements lined up to take over otherwise why say it .

Are you saying that Hewitson is trying to come back as some kind of hero as nobody else wants to join the board .

One thing for sure  we need the new board sorted quickly then we can move forward with a new manager .

Murphy best friends with our new director even go on hoilday together that to me makes him a strong favourite for the job.

Me I would take McCall he has the experience we need 

They maybe have replacements but they don't seem to now be local as those local business men who approached have been rejected if I hear correctly from other sources.

I completely agree with you in regards to the quick implementation of a new board to kick start the new era at Palmerston.  The fact that JM and PM are best mates would go against his employement for me though as if it doesn't work out, I wouldn't like to be involved in the sacking of a pal... 

McCall does have the experience we need... however I don't think financially we would gamble on the back of such losses as Billy said at the AGM, the financial model needs to change for next season... McCall needs a big budget wherever he goes

30 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

They maybe have replacements but they don't seem to now be local as those local business men who approached have been rejected if I hear correctly from other sources.

I completely agree with you in regards to the quick implementation of a new board to kick start the new era at Palmerston.  The fact that JM and PM are best mates would go against his employement for me though as if it doesn't work out, I wouldn't like to be involved in the sacking of a pal... 

McCall does have the experience we need... however I don't think financially we would gamble on the back of such losses as Billy said at the AGM, the financial model needs to change for next season... McCall needs a big budget wherever he goes

Mr McLinden scored a massive own goal last Monday by not wanting to engage any further with a small group of businessmen.  Hope he doesn’t end up regretting that decision. 

8 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Mr McLinden scored a massive own goal last Monday by not wanting to engage any further with a small group of businessmen.  Hope he doesn’t end up regretting that decision. 

Certainly sounds the same rumour as what I was hearing which isn't good as usually ends up correct.  Hopefully the board have something else in the workings and we can kick on ready for next season... 

21 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Is the story that he wants his own people who will act as his puppets rather than individuals he doesn’t know and might not share the same thoughts as?

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Is the story that he wants his own people who will act as his puppets rather than individuals he doesn’t know and might not share the same thoughts as?

Or he himself is a puppet...

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

It was tongue in cheek, Murphy will be gone very soon. Just didn’t want to jinx the move.

4 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

It was tongue in cheek, Murphy will be gone very soon. Just didn’t want to jinx the move.

I can't remember if you've answered this, so apologies if you're repeating yourself. Do you think higher than 8th in League 1 is realistic?