The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Goss is a donkey and I would rather have Aidan Smith and Lussint if we are shopping in that pool. Gibson yes, Todd for me is done. 

Todd was literally one of our better performers throughout the season. Particularly in the last few games. Be happy if he stayed for another year. 

3 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Doubt Tommy will go full time again

We would have to up our wages for him or any part time player to consider signing for us or we could consider a hybrid model to give players the option of stayng part time .   .Goss is the type of player that you need for the physical stuff in League 1 last sesaon we had too many nice players who disappeared when the going got tough 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Todd was literally one of our better performers throughout the season. Particularly in the last few games. Be happy if he stayed for another year. 

I thought he looked laboured and consistently gave the ball away. 

42 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

We would have to up our wages for him or any part time player to consider signing for us or we could consider a hybrid model to give players the option of stayng part time .   .Goss is the type of player that you need for the physical stuff in League 1 last sesaon we had too many nice players who disappeared when the going got tough 

Agree about physicality to young and too easily bullied. Ferguson a prime example. Not up to it yet picked every week, must have been a clause in his loan deal that if fit he has to play. Goss failed with us before. Move on

17 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agree about physicality to young and too easily bullied. Ferguson a prime example. Not up to it yet picked every week, must have been a clause in his loan deal that if fit he has to play. Goss failed with us before. Move on

Goss a young skinny boy before now developed in every way into a handful for any defence.

I can't believe anyone does not rate him but as been mentioned can't see him going full time with us as he would be worse off.

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Have to agree about Goss - surely we have to be setting our targets a bit higher if we are poised to make any sort of meaningful challenge in L1 next season. From the player's point of view makes total sense to retain a decent job and play PT. To be honest the same goes for all our FT wannabes from last season - they are deluded if they think that a lucrative FT football career beckons.

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I’m treating this as progress.

Hopefully it doesn’t herald an imminent liquidation that’s passed me by. 

IMG_1729.jpeg

Yay ... return of the famous "sign saga" ... must be the close season. 👌👍😎

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

I can't believe anyone does not rate him but as been mentioned can't see him going full time with us as he would be worse off.

Although they are not yet universal, full-time contracts are becoming commonplace in formerly semi-professional clubs. With this in mind, it’s a different world for part-timers and full-timers to compete at the same level of the game. Part-time players often face the daunting task of incorporating a full-time job, two training days per week and a weekend match into their schedule.

“When you are full-time everything is set up for you in the sessions, you just go and put in work. The manager also has more training days to put things into practice, so the Queens players would have more time to get their philosophy ingrained into their heads.

It helps with the changing room as well. The boys are around each other constantly and the group becomes closer because of that, well that’s if you are lucky enough to have a normal manager!

These clear benefits almost always translate onto the pitch. Since the modern era of changing from part-timers to full-timers, as such, one might think that committing to a full-time playing staff is a no-brainer – but matters in the lower echelons of Scottish football are rarely so simple.

Full-time players require significantly higher wages. All of a sudden, instead of representing little more than a top-up income, contracts must cover the foregone income from a player’s ‘other job’.

This financial leap of faith, so crucial to success according to the history books, requires smaller clubs like Queens to become more revenue-oriented. This philosophical change seems to directly contradict the principles of community which have historically governed Scottish football. In short, some teams do not want to take the financial risk, whilst some do not want to sacrifice the charm on which their fanbase is built in order to pursue success.

Scottish football is fraught with financial imbalances as a result. The lofty ambitions of Cove Rangers, Hamilton Academical and Ross County have all been supported by cash injections and full-time players in recent years, and all have rapidly ascended through the leagues as a result. With only one automatic promotion spot to the top flight, spending big almost seems a pre-requisite for success.

“A lot of players love the challenge, but don’t think it’s ideal when there’s a big difference between teams’ budgets in the same league. Financial Fair Play highlights financial irregularities in Europe’s top divisions, but matters lower down the pyramid tend to be overlooked. While spending big to chase success is a method used at almost every level of the game, such financial imbalances naturally raise questions of fairness.

With the majority of Scottish League clubs now full-time, the quality gap between the Premier and Championship teams widens every season. However, sometimes when the wealthier lower clubs like Falkirk who recently brought higher league players into our division they’re surprised to see the level of talent. That really shows that it’s not always the better players playing at higher levels.”

Lower-league teams in Scottish football are now a well-known breeding ground for emerging talent. The lower tiers’ gradual professionalisation underlies the steady growth in quality seen in recent years. In many ways, Scottish football is on a positive path. More full-timers breed more competition, and more competition allows emerging talents to test themselves against high-calibre opponents.

League One and League Two players and further below know that progression is now possible from such a level, even if part-time structures require many to do it the hard way. Part-time teams like Alloa Athletic, Brechin City, Cowdenbeath and Arbroath will never stay in the Championship for a long period, trying to compete as a part-time team team is nothing more than a hindrance and a financial disaster. 

Queens have the infrastructure in place, they just need the people to implement this and therefore generate the finance to take us back to the top division for the first time in over 60 years!

13 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

This financial leap of faith, so crucial to success according to the history books, requires smaller clubs like Queens to become more revenue-oriented. This philosophical change seems to directly contradict the principles of community which have historically governed Scottish football. In short, some teams do not want to take the financial risk, whilst some do not want to sacrifice the charm on which their fanbase is built in order to pursue success.

100% correct with the revenue related requirements of Queens/Small FT Clubs.  When you are full time, loosing £200-300k a year back to back, I really look forward to seeing what Mr McLinden's plans are and how he a) plans to bring the fans back in their droves and b) plans to build on the commercial side of the business. 

I am of the opinion that at our level of Scottish Football, having a Chair/Board/Individual pumping cash into the club is anything but beneficial in the long run.  The key to not just our long term success, but survival is bringing the fans back through the gates.  I believe that Murphy's style of football (as long as he gets the right players) will bring some results and in turn some fans back.  How the board conduct themselves/who they are etc plays a very significant part of that also and why this reshuffling of the board room pack is as important as the results/type of football. 

We, as fans need to feel embraced, valued and heard and I believe that Mr McLinden made an error not chatting further with the local businessmen that would have enabled that fan-boardroom connection.

12 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

Queens have the infrastructure in place, they just need the people to implement this and therefore generate the finance to take us back to the top division for the first time in over 60 years!

Again, spot on the money in regards to the people to implement this... although 'infrastructure' already in place is probably questionable as one of the biggest soon to be needs will be the major overhaul of the main stand, which will be financially a big drain...

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

Queens ...  to take us back to the top division for the first time in over 60 years!

Well, yes but back then the top league was larger with something like 18 teams (not 12 as now). So being a consistent top half Championship side now would also roughly equate with that old top league level.

The restructuring of our leagues was prejudicial to clubs the size of Queens ... and of course it was done by design, to pander to the needs of our "elite" clubs.

Edited by Otis Blue

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, yes but back then the top league was larger with something like 18 teams (not 12 as now). So being a consistent top half Championship side now would also roughly equate with that old top league level.

The restructuring of our leagues was prejudicial to clubs the size of Queens ... and of course it was done by design, to pander to the needs of our "elite" clubs.

If you assume old and new teams with the same name are one, only 7 of the 31 teams that were in the SFL in 1964 and the SPFL in 2024 haven’t played in the top flight since. The other 6 are
Queen’s Park
Alloa
Montrose
Stenhousemuir
Forfar
Stranraer

Queens are the only team out of the 42 in the current SPFL not to have played in the top flight in the last 60 years and who haven’t played in the 4th tier since it was created 30 years ago. So Queens are the only SPFL team that has only played in tiers 2 and 3 throughout the last 60 years.

30 minutes ago, Artemis said:

If you assume old and new teams with the same name are one, only 7 of the 31 teams that were in the SFL in 1964 and the SPFL in 2024 haven’t played in the top flight since. The other 6 are
Queen’s Park
Alloa
Montrose
Stenhousemuir
Forfar
Stranraer

Queens are the only team out of the 42 in the current SPFL not to have played in the top flight in the last 60 years and who haven’t played in the 4th tier since it was created 30 years ago. So Queens are the only SPFL team that has only played in tiers 2 and 3 throughout the last 60 years.

That's fascinating.  

I've long felt that Queens is the biggest club not to have graced the top flight in my lifetime. 

There's the proof.  

39 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Queen’s Park
Alloa
Montrose
Stenhousemuir
Forfar
Stranraer

See that fucking harkness…

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I’m treating this as progress.

Hopefully it doesn’t herald an imminent liquidation that’s passed me by. 

IMG_1729.jpeg

Talking about progress: there was a number of high vis men working on main stand late into Friday night 👏 Probably just maintenance but should have been done long long ago. 

Mr McLinden is clearly a very astute businessman and believe from what I’ve been told he’s fully committed to improving the club in every department and sure much improved club/fan connection will happen with him at the helm.

5 minutes ago, Big Chopper said:

Mr McLinden is clearly a very astute businessman and believe from what I’ve been told he’s fully committed to improving the club in every department and sure much improved club/fan connection will happen with him at the helm.

If he can invest in a power washer and get someone to hose down the bird shit every week I'd be delighted.