The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It shows how broken we are as supporters the now that we're discussing the logistics of sacking our new manager, 40 minutes after he's been announced :lol:

Hopefully there is a GTF clause in it when it becomes clear we won’t be going for promotion. 

Landing the manager of a team that couldn’t finish above us last season isn’t a cause for celebration. It seems like another boot in the stones from our supposedly outgoing board. 

Still, the dye has been cast now. That being the case I genuinely hope it works out for him. 

8 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Hopefully we can sign Annan better players but this is our problem a player from Annan will make more with a decent job and playing part time with them.

Hopefully our new director and eventually board will really back Murphy with a decent budget if not he has a very difficult job of trying to attract decent full time players .

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It shows how broken we are as supporters the now that we're discussing the logistics of sacking our new manager, 40 minutes after he's been announced :lol:

And Greenacres already gloomy as, being Greenacres, and having the financial facts at his fingertips before the new board are even in the door, he knows Murphy won't be given a competitive budget so will struggle to sign... anyone... and be doomed to failure as a result.

On another note, I hope he doesn't bring Kilsby back even if he did get a tune out of him at Annan.  

1 minute ago, cooshedder said:

Take Aidan Smith but I think Murphy will be glad he's got a team without that carthorse Goss in it

Erm, he was the one who picked the "carthorse"

15 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Hopefully we can sign Annan better players but this is our problem a player from Annan will make more with a decent job and playing part time with them.

Hopefully our new director and eventually board will really back Murphy with a decent budget if not he has a very difficult job of trying to attract decent full time players .

Murphy has said that he wants this opportunity to get into FT football management. He won't be naive, he'll have discussed the budget situation with Queens before he took the job so he'll know what he has to play with and he must think it's doable or he'd have stayed put. I hope (and think) he'll use the budget more wisely than Bartley, and hopefully he'll have a better eye for a player and will have a clear view of what he wants. I'm drifting back towards optimism here ...

14 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Best of luck to Peter, fully behind him. Hopefully we've bagged a manager on an upward trajectory and we can both benefit from improvements and a return to the Championship. 

Exactly what I hoped for with the Bartley appointment of course (!)

Yes, exactly this.

I'm pretty happy with this appointment for the reasons outlined.  Mind you, I was delighted with the last one, so what do I know?

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Always dangerous.

It's what I do prior to the start of most seasons ... I just never learn ...

17 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Nothing to stop them staying part time

This is what I am hoping for a hybrid model.

We could even get back to a mix of training at Dumfries as well as Hamilton .

16 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Hopefully there is a GTF clause in it when it becomes clear we won’t be going for promotion. 

Landing the manager of a team that couldn’t finish above us last season isn’t a cause for celebration. It seems like another boot in the stones from our supposedly outgoing board. 

Still, the dye has been cast now. That being the case I genuinely hope it works out for him. 

I know what you're saying but I don't think any candidate would have managed a side who finished above us last season tbh. We've all been dismissive of candidates mentioned on the other thread but the reality is we're hardly a an appetising prospect either. 

I'm happy enough with Murphy as he's massively overachieved at his previous employer with a tiny budget. We need someone who can work with a small budget and get the best from a small squad. I think Murphy has done that with Annan and am hopeful he can do the same with us. Time will tell of course. 

Good luck to Murphy. Like a few others not my number one choice but glad it's not McCall or one of the merry go round mob. I genuinely hope he does well, surely better than MB. 

18 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

And Greenacres already gloomy as, being Greenacres, and having the financial facts at his fingertips before the new board are even in the door, he knows Murphy won't be given a competitive budget so will struggle to sign... anyone... and be doomed to failure as a result.

On another note, I hope he doesn't bring Kilsby back even if he did get a tune out of him at Annan.  

Kilsby been released from Carlisle .

It is not being gloomy just realistic .

Give Murphy a competitive budget we have a chance hopefully that will happen but going on what Bartley was saying it is very difficult to get players to sign full time with us when they can make so much more working and playing part time 

A decent appointment in my opinion. A relatively young manager hopefully on the way up, with knowledge of the division and the local area. Not sure what more we could have asked for to be honest? 

Rather that than some so called ‘experienced’ journeyman manager on his 11th job in as many years hoping that this time it will all click into place.

Time will tell of course, but it’s genuinely nice to have a bit of optimism and hope again!

50 minutes ago, cooshedder said:

Take Aidan Smith but I think Murphy will be glad he's got a team without that carthorse Goss in it

How many goals did that pair score for Annan this season?

24 minutes ago, Kunter said:

So the outgoing (apparently ) board have signed a new manager who won't know what his budget is yet ?  

Less than last seasons.

8 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Some interesting comments.

Yeah a decent interview. And he's just short of saying 'We (Queens fans) need a bit of a reality check' which I think is fair. If he can build something next season that at least looks like a progressive work in progress, I'll be content, even if it means we don't get promoted. With Bartley we never improved at all throughout the season and for me that was the biggest frustration. Even if there had been signs of 'the players are now starting to get this system' I'd have been happy. But they looked as hapless throughout. 

It's not the most optimistic interview but Bartley's were early days and we know how that worked out. A bit of a more level headed approach is perhaps what's needed. 

His comment about " Annan..... but Queens are in a totally different league..." did make me laugh out loud. A brilliant David Brent comment :lol: I was excited by him saying we need to get more physical though. Something we've been lacking for years and in all honesty I'd love him to bring in one or two hammer throwers. I can't remember the last time I was at Palmerston where I got to cheer a good hard tackle. 

On a sidenote, I love our ingenuity with the lack of "V". 

Screenshot_20240509-214444.png

Just now, Palmerstunned said:

Not sure what more we could have asked for to be honest? 
Rather that than some so called ‘experienced’ journeyman manager on his 11th job in as many years hoping that this time it will all click into place.

A journeyman is exactly what we needed given how we've already had two rookie manages flop on the bounce and now have signed Murphy as manger who is very much in the same vain as Gibson and Bartley. 

Only hope is a decent budget to give him a chance