The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Swarley said:

I see Jamie MacDonald has been released by Morton. Worth a punt? 

Nah, too old now - aye, I know 38 not completely ancient for a keeper, Gordon at Hearts etc, and all those good cup final memories, but not for me. As someone else has said, good chance Murphy might want the Annan keeper. Time to move on.

42 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Nah, too old now - aye, I know 38 not completely ancient for a keeper, Gordon at Hearts etc, and all those good cup final memories, but not for me. As someone else has said, good chance Murphy might want the Annan keeper. Time to move on.

Annan goalie Greg Fleming will be 38 in September, just saying like. 

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Annan goalie Greg Fleming will be 38 in September, just saying like. 

Ah, OK - lazy me, I never checked that.  I would rule him out too then (although granted Murphy may favour a keeper he knows well).  For me this should be about rebuilding for the future - and whilst we will need a good bit of experience in the mix I don't think that should necessarily be players at the last knockings of their careers.

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Ah, OK - lazy me, I never checked that.  I would rule him out too then (although granted Murphy may favour a keeper he knows well).  For me this should be about rebuilding for the future - and whilst we will need a good bit of experience in the mix I don't think that should necessarily be players at the last knockings of their careers.

Also think Fleming has a decent job outside football so (if we stay completely full time) he may not be interested given his advanced years. 

Good piece. More of that will go a long way. I'm happy to see us going with a smaller squad but I have to admit, I hope that's the bulk and the rest are our youth players. The players he mentioned, I don't think are good enough to be starting every week so hopefully those guys are scattered in rather than being relied on. 

A good relationship with Carlisle would be a positive. As bad a season they had last season, they still play at a far higher level than us so hopefully we can get first refusal on their outgoing players. 

Definitely refreshing to hear from the BoD and a fair bit of info. as well. 

That was a very positive update from McLinden.  Actively saying a promotion push is a must next season. I don’t think I have read that in a statement from anyone at the club in a long time. 

There is a lot in the statement, and a lot to like.  Particularly in regard to encouraging people to engage with him and the club.

For a long time it seemed like the draw bridge had been pulled up at Palmerston. Communication definitely wasn’t a thing the outgoing board encouraged. Hopefully, this is the start of a bright new chapter for our club. 

The statement is very helpful and Mr McLinden comes across as very positive, and lots of encouraging things in there.

Key points for me are: that the club ... "does not work in League One, financially or otherwise" ... and ... "There must be a reduction in budget because we cannot keep on losing large sums of money every year" ... so that ... "we are looking at the range of 20 players for next season" ...

So the implication is that Murphy has been given a stiff target of an early promotion back to the Championship or we face big problems.  So far so good, but at the same time the budget has been cut - which doesn't really help the achievement of that same target (even if the budget cut is sensible financially).  Now of course, reduction in the playing staff to 20 will help with the reduced budget target - which has been obvious to most of us on here (if not obvious to Mr Bartley previously).  So for Murphy to achieve his promotion target he really is going to need to use the budget wisely, and he will need to bring in some quality within the 20 places.  I'd also imagine that we'll see something of a hybrid FT/PT model to suit the needs of perceived key players - which again makes sense to me.  Good luck, Peter!

Lastly, it's also pretty clear that there is no magic additional source of funding likely to appear over the horizon in the near future.  So there's not going to be any Qu££ns Park, Ross C££nty, Cove, Kelty type shenanigans at Palmertson (which is good to hear), but that also means that we can forget any major infrastructure changes at the stadium (eg old stand replacement) - it will be a case of patch up, tidy up and improve what we have when we can, and we live within our means.

14 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

Na would definitely have been me commenting as I'm like a broken record on this one :) ......

I'm not for one minute suggesting that its ok if we have a crap set of results but a friendly board... I'm saying the two go hand in hand to maximise the gate receipts massively... You have surely seen the amount of fans that have through the years said they won't be back until the departing chairman has left?? It is a time for the club to maximise the excitement of the new boards arrival, JM hopefully has another whack of directors ready to announce and build that excitement up.  I think Peter Murphy's arrival is a very good one... a safe one... but very good in our rebuild. 

I await some more Carlisle based directors soon to join Mr McLinden and we are set to be mini Carlisle and their feeding club... Murphy does well here and his next club is odds on to be Carlisle so you can see where the dots are joining up. That in itself wouldn't genuinely bother me if we get the benefit of it at all, as long as we keep our identity.

Mon the South

A feeder 

14 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

Na would definitely have been me commenting as I'm like a broken record on this one :) ......

I'm not for one minute suggesting that its ok if we have a crap set of results but a friendly board... I'm saying the two go hand in hand to maximise the gate receipts massively... You have surely seen the amount of fans that have through the years said they won't be back until the departing chairman has left?? It is a time for the club to maximise the excitement of the new boards arrival, JM hopefully has another whack of directors ready to announce and build that excitement up.  I think Peter Murphy's arrival is a very good one... a safe one... but very good in our rebuild. 

I await some more Carlisle based directors soon to join Mr McLinden and we are set to be mini Carlisle and their feeding club... Murphy does well here and his next club is odds on to be Carlisle so you can see where the dots are joining up. That in itself wouldn't genuinely bother me if we get the benefit of it at all, as long as we keep our identity.

Mon the South

your joking. In thrall to a monied but bottom league English side. I for one wouldn’t find that loss of independence acceptable. All this local ownership stuff is hogwash if this happens. I was vilified on this board for suggesting a monied but independent owner. That would be far preferable to a Carlisle takeover. I hope this is a wind up 

Breath of fresh air reading that statement. Been a long time since there’s been any sort of optimism around the place. If he is true to his word and regularly communicates and interacts with the fans he’ll get on a whole lot better than the previous board. 

4 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I’d rather have the Annan goalkeeper. 

Is the Annan keeper Fleming not 37 years old.  Surely we need a more progressive solution. I actually don’t mind Botterill and Cowie. I’d rather spend on the spine of the team. Big centre halves, strong combatative midfield and 2 strikers who can score at this level ( 1 big and 1 nippy). 

30 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Is the Annan keeper Fleming not 37 years old.  Surely we need a more progressive solution. I actually don’t mind Botterill and Cowie. I’d rather spend on the spine of the team. Big centre halves, strong combatative midfield and 2 strikers who can score at this level ( 1 big and 1 nippy). 

You read like Greenacres but with punctuation 😂

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

After reading that statement I’ve decided we are winning the lot 👍

Good sentiment. One point. He uses ‘I’ over 40 times ( although reverts a bit more to ‘we’ later) and it makes me edgy that we run the risk of being too centred around 1 individuals view ( who would appear to be a Hamilton, Carlisle, Annan fan). I think it’s really important that we have a skillful, balanced and ideally well off board with the collective wish to deliver on the laudable sentiments expressed in this piece. He does deserve credit for at least communicating with us. Good luck to the board and new manager. Let’s hope that these wishes are borne out on the pitch as we absolutely need to get back to being at least a well respected Championship side.